AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been able to take a look at this upcoming release. It's currently only scheduled for release in several European territories the coming months, but given the plethora

of subtitles on the disc - I suspect this version might be similar to the eventual worldwide releases.

Surprisingly the quality is not as terrible as I expected. It's a very inconsistent and outdated master with some 'necessary' digital tampering, but nowhere near some of Universal's worst offenders.

Grain is somewhat intact most of the time. In fact, I'd say it looks better than BTTF (what a joke), and rather solid at times. Contrary to the Canadian release, this one's 1080p.

BD-50 AVC, Feature takes up 39 GB. BD-info coming up.

20 more screenshots here .

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz /forum/post/19541250

Just been able to take a look at this upcoming release. It's currently only scheduled for release in several European territories the coming months, but given the plethora

of subtitles on the disc - I suspect this version might be similar to the eventual worldwide releases.

Surprisingly the quality is not as terrible as I expected. It's a very inconsistent and outdated master with some 'necessary' digital tampering, but nowhere near some of Universal's worst offenders.

Grain is somewhat intact most of the time. In fact, I'd say it looks better than BTTF (what a joke), and rather solid at times. Contrary to the Canadian release, this one's 1080p.

BD-50 AVC, Feature takes up 39 GB. BD-info coming up.

been waiting for this one for a long time

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/19549443

Which of the 20 stills show rampant EE or filtering?

Rampant might not have been the correct word of use, I'll correct that. I chose random grabs to give overall impression - I might update that with specific frames later.

These shots illustrate some of the inconsistencies regarding some filtering, but aren't totally indicative.

http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress...kespeare40.jpg

http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress...akespeare3.jpg

http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress...kespeare24.jpg

The biggest issue with this release is its lack of definition - read outdated master.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Looks pretty good to me. Wish we could have more outdated masters like this.
I totally agree. Even the "inconsistent" frame grabs still look quite acceptable.

Looking forward to the US release!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagination /forum/post/19861170

A rave review of the Japanese version of the Blu-Ray can be found on DVD Beaver.

It's hard to know with dvdbeaver caps sometimes, but they have a couple of frames that are very close to the European screencaps on blubrew...

To my eye this new Japanese disc looks slightly softer than the European version.

Wonder what Universal will dredge up for the U.S. release...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator /forum/post/19862088

Wonder what Universal will dredge up for the U.S. release...

They won't be dredging up anything, either fortunately or unfortunately. Miramax holds the US rights to this film, just like Bridget Jones's Diary, and I doubt there will be a Blu-Ray for at least a year. The Miramax library, which has been dormant on Blu-Ray, has just recently been sold. I'm sure this will come out in the US eventually, but for now the UK Blu looks like a good option, and it's regionless since it's Universal.

I'm very happy with my UK Blu of Bridget Jones's Diary and looking forward to picking this one up, as well as Notting Hill, which also just came out in the UK from Uni.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesluckard /forum/post/19865196

They won't be dredging up anything, either fortunately or unfortunately. Miramax holds the US rights to this film, just like Bridget Jones's Diary, and I doubt there will be a Blu-Ray for at least a year. The Miramax library, which has been dormant on Blu-Ray, has just recently been sold. I'm sure this will come out in the US eventually, but for now the UK Blu looks like a good option, and it's regionless since it's Universal.

I'm very happy with my UK Blu of Bridget Jones's Diary and looking forward to picking this one up, as well as Notting Hill, which also just came out in the UK from Uni.

yeah i've been wondering what's been the deal with miramax and blu-ray anyway looks like I will just order up the UK version.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 /forum/post/19865652

yeah i've been wondering what's been the deal with miramax and blu-ray anyway looks like I will just order up the UK version.

I wouldn't expect any Miramax catalog titles on Blu for quite a while. With the uncertainty surrounding the company and its catalog for the last year or more, I think it's safe to assume that they haven't been prepping anything for Blu, and will have to start from scratch whenever they do.

Once they do start releasing Blus, I'm sure Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, and Shakespeare in Love will be among the first.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLR
If anybody's interested and had any doubts, I just received my UK import of this film here in the US and it is not region locked. Plays fine.
Just received mine as well, didn't try it yet. (amazon UK sure gets things out in a hurry, i used the cheapest shipping they had and it arrived today nonethless, i think faster than Amazon US
)

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator /forum/post/19551357

I totally agree. Even the "inconsistent" frame grabs still look quite acceptable.

Looking forward to the US release!!!

Miramax owns the North American rights. Disney recently sold Miramax to an investor group that said their primary interest was digital distribution. They recently announced a joint venture with Weinstein for production of new films and disc distribution of the catalog. Weinstein is about the least prolific studio for catalog releases, and hit or miss quality when they do release a catalog title on blu-ray. Just like I didn't wait for a Miramax US release for Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown & several others, I'm getting the European release.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder /forum/post/19909512

Ordered mine as well. Should be here soon!

Any PQ impressions yet?

Kevin

Only had the time to sneak a few minutes peek tonight but it seems to be a quite pleasing transfer. Nothing objectionable at all popping out at me. I see fine grain and lots of very fine details and looking at a couple very sudden harsh edges I don't see any sort of giant EE white/black halo ringing.

I need to see a lot more and on HDTV not just tiny 24" computer monitor to say more, but I have a feeling this may be a good one. Great film too.

quick peek seems to show:

DTS-MA

and for extras:

deleted scenes

promos

trailers

commercials

writer/director commentary

cast commentary

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz /forum/post/19550622

Rampant might not have been the correct word of use, I'll correct that. I chose random grabs to give overall impression - I might update that with specific frames later.

These shots illustrate some of the inconsistencies regarding some filtering, but aren't totally indicative.

http://blubrewdotcom.files.wordpress...kespeare24.jpg

The biggest issue with this release is its lack of definition - read outdated master.

From the few minutes I've seen, it looks very sharp to me (granted I did peek on a 24" monitor which tends to make most things look a bit sharper than a giant HDTV).

I'm not sure why you think that cap is so soft. Where is it so soft? You do realize they shot that scene with fast lens, in close and it had very small DOF? The parts that are dead smack in the plane of focus look perfectly sharp to me there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts