AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys--back with another question. This time on lighting.

I am soundproof-treating my room as per Ted White's suggestions. The only downside, is that after clips (even when blocked up in joists) and three layers of drywall, my ceiling will be around 7' 5". That is still ok for the room, but my lighting plan has been to build a soffit around the room after drywalling and to place recessed lighting in there. As you can see, I want to keep that soffit as shallow as possible, ideally no more than 4.5-5" if possible (I need approx 7ft of clearance from floor to bottom of soffit for other reasons).

Any suggestions for shallow IC rated recessed lights? Do I need to use lights with a standalone transformer placed elsewhere?

Let me know if you have suggestions. Thx.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Why not build boxes out of MDF for normal can lights? Recess them into the ceiling joists before you drywall, using clips for mounting to decouple them. Make sure they hang down the 4-4.5" or whatever for your soffet height. Now you have complete flexibility for can light types and the cost is fairly cheap compared to "more exotic" alternatives.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/15510234

I considered using puck lights in my old build. Didn't happen, and recessing them would probably be a bad idea (heatwise) - but low profile and cheap.

If you use Xenon puck lights they do not get as hot. But make sure you use 120V or line level lights, not low voltage lights that use a transformer. Xenon lights are much more expensive though!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I am looking for lights that will also serve to light display items on the wall, thus the recessed in the soffit instead of sconces. I suppose I could look at track lighting as well, but I haven't seen any that don't bring back the look of the 70s.

The separate transformer looks like my best option if I want to keep the soffit really shallow.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate the link. Since these are not IC rated, I assume I just box around them, since I need to put insulation in the soffit?

My contractor is really pushing me to do light boxes so we have more lighting options in the room. If built correctly (double drywall and greenglue inside) do these materially weaken a room where I planned to do two or three layers (with GG) for the ceiling? Would hate to lose the seal on the room.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Stick with a box made from OSB for the outer layer. This can be glued / screwed. Inner layer of cement board. Caulk up the corners.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx Ted. I had just separately emailed you about this. If you think it can be done without meaningful compromise, that certainly increases my options. Between the light boxes, and the low profile lights DC linked to, I should be able to find a good result for the whole room

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW--Anybody got a link to the threads that best show how to build these light boxes? The one I found with a search was in the archives and several of the pics would not load.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/15519886

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=654719

I assume this is the one. I can't see the images either. The other day I took a customer to that thread. He could see it. I could not. I think it's a browser thing.

I can see the pictures. I'm using the Opera browser.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I checked out the link for the light boxes.

That application seems to be more for soundproofing recessed lights that are in the main ceiling. I have already completed my ceiling so I will be using recessed lights in the soffit.

So the OPs question is pertinent for me:

What's the best way to get shallow recessed lighting into the soffits? I presume if I am going to be putting insulation into my soffits (they are withing the aquarium), for bass trapping, that I would need IC rated.

Or could I use non-IC, and simply work around them to leave a gap for the insulation?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I think most lights are IC rated these days. I would always use / recommend them.

If the wall and ceiling behing the soffit is double drywalled, etc, then there's no need for any other considerations. Install the lights, but some fluffy insulation in there.

If the wall and ceiling behind the soffit is NOT double drywalled, etc, then you would need to contain the sound in a backer box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts