AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NIN Blu-ray and HD DVDs are being released in the coming weeks. Each disc is designed to its particular format. That means, maxing both formats with the highest VC-1 video bitrate and Dolby True HD lossless audio. Is this disc going to sell as much as Batman Begins or Superman Returns? No! In fact, I expect it to sell 1/4 of these titles at most.


So, the question must be asked, why is it that a small studio can find the time and necessary resources to make Blu-ray and HD DVD specific discs, yet a massive studio such as Warner cannot.


Now, I'm glad that Warner has put a PCM track on Departed, but I'll bet it's the same VC-1 transfer made for HD DVD on a 50gb disc, the rest being left unused. It's really quite sad...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Yeah, at least WB releases movies.


Anyway, I'm on the wall on this one. I loved NIN until With Teeth came out, which was a terrible album and ruined NIN for me. The Fragile was fantastic and felt like an evolution compared to The Downward Sprial, which was also great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0


I guess it's because NIN care more about their fans than WB


I don't see why WB is singled out, but not Paramount?

Paramount isn't as much of a culprit as Warner is. Paramount does max out the discs, but they've been using MPEG-2. But yes, it's true, Paramount does share some of the blame. For their last release, World Trade Center, even though the video on Mpeg-2 looked fantastic, I wonder what it could have looked like with a highbitrate VC-1 transfer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0


I guess it's because NIN care more about their fans than WB

Seems to be the case. Sad that a studio with a much larger potential consumer base like Warner doesn't care more, not less.


PS: With Teeth is an awesome album!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0



So, the question must be asked, why is it that a small studio can find the time and necessary resources to make Blu-ray and HD DVD specific discs, yet a massive studio such as Warner cannot.

This could be a question for the insider thread, because I think there might have been a technical reason that required separate encodings due to the way that Blu Ray and HD DVD handle that particular video source. Regardless, it remains to be seen how much difference there will be between the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0


Anyway, I'm on the wall on this one. I loved NIN until With Teeth came out, which was a terrible album and ruined NIN for me. The Fragile was fantastic and felt like an evolution compared to The Downward Sprial, which was also great.

Did you go to any of the concerts on the With Teeth tour? I thought the songs worked VERY well live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I went to all three shows in Atlanta on the With Teeth tour...and yes, the songs sound great live, but they are ****** songs to begin with. Had those shows not been a good 50/50 mixture of the ****** With Teeth music, and the classic TDS/Fragile/PHM music most people would have been completely disappointed. I used several of the WT songs for bathroom/beer breaks at the concerts.


The fact that them playing "The Hand That Feeds" and "You Know What You Are" prevented me from hearing "Mr Self Destruct" and "The Becoming" pisses me off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
I was at the final show of the tour in Mountain View, CA..


The stage show was incredible as usual, but the WT album is definitely a big pile of turd. NIN kind of pulled a Metallica in my opinion. I've never said Metallica sold out, they just started making music that was overproduced and just not fun to listen to, much like WT.


After listening to WT the first 20 times to give it a chance, it fell off my radar and I've never had the desire to listen to it again. The rest of Trent's alubms I still get itches to listen to..


**** sandwich anyone?



I'll probably still pick up the HDVD or BR to watch a few times..


-b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M /forum/post/0


Did you go to any of the concerts on the With Teeth tour? I thought the songs worked VERY well live.

I'm not a concert person. I go to some (Ohgr, Rob Zombie), but not most as the good bands barely ever came to Buffalo NY, and if they did, they got banned (Manson) and to cancel it. NIN did come here a month after I moved here, but they were already sold out by then, plus I did not know if I wanted to go to a concert after the crap put together in With Teeth. The songs are just boring and have no originality to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0


Now, I'm glad that Warner has put a PCM track on Departed, but I'll bet it's the same VC-1 transfer made for HD DVD on a 50gb disc, the rest being left unused. It's really quite sad...........

Because the increase in quality is not significant enough to justify the costs associated with it.


Sad? Probably to enthusiasts. But it makes perfect business sense. After all, thats what its all about. You may think that using 50 gigs makes a difference in quality compared with using 30 gigs. But 90% or more of the population will not think so.


Why waste money on things most ppl won't notice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
I agree w/ the OPs statement about the majors learning from Trent/Interscope.


I disagree w/ everyone's assessment of the new NIN CD/Concert.

His music is different now due to his being in therapy and kicking alcohol/drugs out of his Life.

That is reflected in his music for the new album... which I can appreciate.

Then again, I've always been a huge supporter of Trent.


BTW - Trent is currently working on a new CD that is due in April
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
I enjoyed the With Teeth tour and got to three shows, bringing my total to 7 since 1994.

All of them have been great and all of them have given me a few tunes I've never heard before.

In Toronto 2005 I got to see Burn and Dead Souls, the latter which I hadn't seen since 1994.

In 2000 I got to see Get Down Make Love - sweet.


In answer to the OP - Trent is a videophile and audiophile and perfectionist. He is cursed with it but we are blessed. I wouldn't have expected anything less from him.

Hopefully we'll see the Deluxe Edition of The Fragile come soon as Trent's work on the new album is all but finished. Moulder is doing the mixing now. I hope he does another SACD DE as TDS was fantastic.

I hope Trent also keeps fighting for PHM. I need a DE of that album. It has been one of the closest albums to me growing up and holds so many memories.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0


The NIN Blu-ray and HD DVDs are being released in the coming weeks. Each disc is designed to its particular format. That means, maxing both formats with the highest VC-1 video bitrate and Dolby True HD lossless audio. Is this disc going to sell as much as Batman Begins or Superman Returns? No! In fact, I expect it to sell 1/4 of these titles at most.


So, the question must be asked, why is it that a small studio can find the time and necessary resources to make Blu-ray and HD DVD specific discs, yet a massive studio such as Warner cannot.


Now, I'm glad that Warner has put a PCM track on Departed, but I'll bet it's the same VC-1 transfer made for HD DVD on a 50gb disc, the rest being left unused. It's really quite sad...........

I hate to remind you, but the studio was FORCED to do different encodes because of Bluray's tools' inability to handle the 1080p30 video format that the concert was natively recorded at.


This forced the studio to encode the BR disc at 1080i60 instead.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top