AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming the answer is "yes" but just want to confirm with the pros. Say you have an older house that you didn't do the wiring in. It was only wired for basic CATV (hopefully homerun to a distribution block of some kind). Is there anything technically stopping you from running the RG-6 from an antenna you install on the roof to that distribution block to feed the antenna signal to multiple TVs over coax? Would a signal booster be needed?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes you can use that legacy cable . You may or may not need some signal amplification. Try it and see what you get.

However, you can't do OTA and cable over the same cable at the same time.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmac97 /forum/post/15532976

Is there anything technically stopping you from running the RG-6 from an antenna you install on the roof to that distribution block to feed the antenna signal to multiple TVs over coax?

Not as long as the distribution point is a splitter or distribution amp rated up to 1000 MHz.

Quote:
Would a signal booster be needed?

For multiple sets, probably. A decision on the most suitable type and model is dependent on what your local signal strengths look like, just as with the antenna itself.

If you want more specific advice on this, please visit www.tvfool.com , enter location information, save the resulting Post-Transition report to your hard drive and attach the report to a follow-up message.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan /forum/post/15600017

Will doing this interfere with broadband cablemodem signals on the same cable?

Not adviseable. Do a line for the cable modem, and the distribution for OTA and "never shall the twain meet".

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15600359

Not adviseable. Do a line for the cable modem, and the distribution for OTA and "never shall the twain meet".

Thanks for the response. Unfortunate, though, as that would require rewiring the entire house for TV in addition to the network. Unless I can split the specific section for the cable-modem run from the rest of the house.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Usually the cable company does it that way - a splitter that has one branch direct to the cable modem, and the other to distribute TV. You might want to take a look at what you got first. It could be as simple as removing the splitter and putting a barrel connector for the modem, and similar from your antenna to the TV network.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmac97 /forum/post/15532976

Would a signal booster be needed?

If it turns out you need one, it would probably be better to use a low-noise pre-amplifier at the antenna, rather than a (noisier) distribution amplifier. Which one to use depends on your initial signal strengths, because some popular pre-amps are prone to overload on nearby stations.

I use a Channel Master 7777 at the antenna, and split the signal four ways, then effectively split a couple of those branches again by daisy-chaining devices on them. This pre-amp is one of the ones that overload easily, but most of my stations are 50+ miles away, with two medium-power ones in the 25-30 mile range.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15601604

Usually the cable company does it that way - a splitter that has one branch direct to the cable modem, and the other to distribute TV. You might want to take a look at what you got first. It could be as simple as removing the splitter and putting a barrel connector for the modem, and similar from your antenna to the TV network.

Good idea. I need to check out the junction and also attic access for possible attic antenna. I'm getting a new TV and would like to drop the analog cable sub and go OTA HD, with the antenna feeding the the house. I'm still sorting this out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts