AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to date i've been using my DTC100 only for OTA HD.

i live in a condo & can't put a dish on the roof & don't want one on my patio.

my neighbor is willing to put one on his patio next door. we're planning to go for the 'blockbuster $49 para todos deal' to get an oval dish & receiver. i will switch the service to my OTA DTC100 after installation.

Q:

==

is this possible? how is it hooked up? just add a simple splitter to the dish next door and run cables to both our townhomes? how many wires would this be? anything else i need to know or ask or do?

thks!

·
Registered
779 Posts
No splitters, they do not work for dss systems. The oval dish comes with 4X4 multiswitch e.g. it can support 4 STB units. Since you are in the same structure I wouldn't think there would be any code issues with running lines to each condo from one dish. The STB or directv doesen't care about about what or who is on the dish, just run a rg6 line from the dish to each of your condos and you should be fine.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree..it shouldn't be a problem at all. Just use the 4x4 switch and you can each have any combination of up to 4 receivers.

The only thing is that if you were planning on splitting the cost of the service, it ain't gonna happen. In order for the cost of programming to be shared for each reciever, they have to be hooked up to the same phone line/number. Other than that, I dont see any problems.

Neal

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies to date!

does the 4x switch come automatically w/ every oval dish installed, or is it something we have to request? (we may get just my neighbor's stuff installed using the $49 deal, and then afterwards just run my cables, so as not to complicate the life of the installer).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Isn't Dish network like DirecTV in respect to extra boxes? DirecTV requires that each box be hooked up to the same phone line so that they can make random call outs to verify that you are indeed in the same house.

I would feel a little wierd about my neighbor having my phone line in his house personally.

-Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't think Dish Network makes "random calls" to determine which household the receiver is in. The phone connection is only required to call back to Dish and report your PPV purchases. I know of many people who have had Dish for more than a year and NEVER had the phone line plugged in. As long as you don't buy PPV you don't need it.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I have had DishNetwork for three years and never use PPV and have never connected a phone line.

------------------

Gary J. Rhine

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have DirecTV and have never plugged the phone line in.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fecund:
I have DirecTV and have never plugged the phone line in.
My friend did the same and never had to pay for any PPV. Is that true??

Bryan

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan_chow:
My friend did the same and never had to pay for any PPV. Is that true??

Bryan
I believe the receiver has a programmed credit limit. At a certain point you won't be able to order PPV if your receiver isn't hooked up to the phone line to let it phone home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.