AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Two different speakers but definitely neither are harsh. That said, I very much agree with you, especially when you factor in the price and free returns. My main point was that something like the 530s in the $300 (or so) range along with a sub would certainly be greater than a $600-700 pair of speakers with no sub.

At $600 a HSU VTF2-mk5 would be my choice. Actually I calculated it at $643, but its certainly one of the best subs for the price. Just note that it is quite large.
As you know i haven't heard the polks.. That being said i agree with your opinion...

Reactions: D33vious

Registered
I really like the look of the HTD level 3, Madagascar ebony is pretty sharp looking. How big of a soundstage do they produce. The studio 530 probably would be the second choice. other than the speedwoofer which is out of stock again, what would you recommend. I noticed parts express has some Dayton kits with 2 radiators in stock in the 5-600 range. Are they worth exploring? It might make a fun project with the boys one weekend.
HTD has free returns on bookshelves for first time buyers so why not.

Registered
HTD has free returns on bookshelves for first time buyers so why not.
Agreed. The Level 3s are certainly nice looking speakers. Even better would be buying a couple of different sets of speakers and having a nice comparison so you can hear the differences yourself, but it sounds like WAF may not allow for that.

Registered
In your situation I would probably be looking at these closely.

Both beautiful speakers, given the WAF requirements. I would love to have purchased the EVO myself but a full set was slightly out of reach since towers are a must for me, their center is expensive, and I needed 7 speakers minimum to start.

Great prices to be had on "Demo" stuff at music direct, all of which is still covered with full manufacturer warranty and any damage is noted as far as I can tell.

They have some M-1 by B&W, of which I own the older brother that I'm sure sound quite nice. In white they are a bit more modern looking and don't draw a lot of attention to themselves. 4" driver though, so subwoofer is a must.

Registered

Registered
I'd be all over those Dentons (and the Lintons) if it weren't for the retro looks...why o why, Wharfedale??? :)
I actually really like the looks. I would have been all for these if they had a good center channel available.

Registered
I actually really like the looks. I would have been all for these if they had a good center channel available.
meh, I think the Evo 4.C center in Walnut would come close enough...it's just a bit overpriced.

Registered
I have both the 703s and JBL 530s. While I personally think the 703 is a better speaker, it is still quite close and I could certainly see others preferring the 530. The two speakers are really quite different sounding. The 703s are much warmer with a really good midrange and lots of bottom end, while the 530s have a wider soundstage and a more impressive top end. If you have not previously been running a sub, then the 530s on sale with a decent sub like the previously mentioned RSL Speedwoofer would certainly be an improvement over the 703s in 2.0. A possible downside for you might be their looks, although (as often repeated) they look much better in person than in pictures. The good thing is they have free returns if purchased directly from JBL, so worth a try if they come back on sale soon.
I agree with you, for my sound preferences. I could see people preferring each of them. I like a slightly warm speaker but not too dark or recessed midrange. I just picked up a pair of old Boston Acoustics CR8's locally and I think I like them better than the 530's. I need to do some more listening. They remind me of the NHT SB3's and PSB Imagine B's. And Wharfedale 225's, but better. Less bass but better midrange and treble. Sweet treble slightly rolled off. They just make me want to relax and enjoy the music.

Reactions: Lp85253

Registered
They just make me want to relax and enjoy the music.
That's what this stuff should really be all about, as opposed to overthinking and jumping through endless OCD hoops! :)

Reactions: Lp85253 and djp2k7

Registered
That's what this stuff should really be all about, as opposed to overthinking and jumping through endless OCD hoops! :)
Amen to that.. I was just listening to the 530s a few minutes ago... One of my thoughts was " why would i need 'better' than this "?..... I'm still searching for a reason...

Reactions: Zorba922

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
I probably wouldn't bother with DIY unless you enjoy the actual work involved, because I don't think there's much cost benefit with many of these speakers esp. the ones that go on sale for so little.

so I was at magnolia in Chattanooga today, and listened to Martin Logan motion 4 with a dynamo sub. The pair was honestly very satisfying with the dynamo sub. I think I am going to order the HTD and i found the motion 4 at safe and sound for 180 each. Get them both in the living room with a Sub and try them both out. That seem pretty reasonably?

Registered
so I was at magnolia in Chattanooga today, and listened to Martin Logan motion 4 with a dynamo sub. The pair was honestly very satisfying with the dynamo sub. I think I am going to order the HTD and i found the motion 4 at safe and sound for 180 each. Get them both in the living room with a Sub and try them both out. That seem pretty reasonably?
I don't know, $360/pr for a single 4" woofer seems excessive to me.

The Emotiva B1+ is out of stock right now but for $230/pr you get nice 5.25" woofers and a similar AMT tweeter, though I'll concede that the ML has the prettier cabinet if that really matters to you.

A better option in that price range might be the Chane A1.5 which has a planar tweeter, or the HTD Level 3 bookshelf at $400 with nice big 6.5" woofers and free return shipping.

Like most subs made by speaker companies, ML subs unless being clearanced are massively overpriced and underperforming. Which model exactly, and how much? I'd compare the woofer size, amp power (RMS not peak), and weight to similarly priced offerings by Rythmik. Hsu, Monolith, or SVS before you pull the trigger. Don't be seduced by a compact and pretty cabinet.

Registered
Whatever sounds good to you is the right decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
I don't know, $360/pr for a single 4" woofer seems excessive to me.

The Emotiva B1+ is out of stock right now but for $230/pr you get nice 5.25" woofers and a similar AMT tweeter, though I'll concede that the ML has the prettier cabinet if that really matters to you.

A better option in that price range might be the Chane A1.5 which has a planar tweeter, or the HTD Level 3 bookshelf at $400 with nice big 6.5" woofers and free return shipping.

Like most subs made by speaker companies, ML subs unless being clearanced are massively overpriced and underperforming. Which model exactly, and how much? I'd compare the woofer size, amp power (RMS not peak), and weight to similarly priced offerings by Rythmik. Hsu, Monolith, or SVS before you pull the trigger. Don't be seduced by a compact and pretty cabinet.
We were listening to the 700 dynamo on a 3070 Yamaha pushing the highs. I agree 2 4 in. Speakers for dang near 400$ isnt a deal by any stretch. But they sounded better than anything else near the size or price. They put the def tec and pioneer elite to shame in the high end and they were more money. Granted we listened to the B&W diamond bookshelf鈥檚 and they trounced everything buy a long shot but I鈥檇 really have to like the way they look in the living room because I鈥檇 be sleeping on the couch if I spent that kind of $

Registered
We were listening to the 700 dynamo on a 3070 Yamaha pushing the highs. I agree 2 4 in. Speakers for dang near 400$ isnt a deal by any stretch. But they sounded better than anything else near the size or price. They put the def tec and pioneer elite to shame in the high end and they were more money. Granted we listened to the B&W diamond bookshelf鈥檚 and they trounced everything buy a long shot but I鈥檇 really have to like the way they look in the living room because I鈥檇 be sleeping on the couch if I spent that kind of $
Well keep in mind that Best Buy has a generally lousy selection, in addition to substandard listening conditions. So it's a pretty low bar, and BBM is known to sometimes deliberately set some speakers up badly, in order to steer you towards their most expensive speakers because that's where the salespeople make the fattest commissions. They are very good at the art of the "upsell."

That Dynamo 700 is a lousy 26.5lbs and I imagine BB is probably selling it for around $600-800? You can get an RSL Speedwoofer 10S with similar specs, similar compactness/attractiveness but 20lbs heavier for $400 shipped with free return shipping and I'll bet it's similar or (more likely) better performance. A $600 Hsu, Rythmik or SVS would drop-kick it into the next galaxy.

Registered
Well keep in mind that Best Buy has a generally lousy selection, in addition to substandard listening conditions. So it's a pretty low bar, and BBM is known to sometimes deliberately set some speakers up badly, in order to steer you towards their most expensive speakers because that's where the salespeople make the fattest commissions. They are very good at the art of the "upsell."

That Dynamo 700 is a lousy 26.5lbs and I imagine BB is probably selling it for around $600-800? You can get an RSL Speedwoofer 10S with similar specs, similar compactness/attractiveness but 20lbs heavier for $400 shipped with free return shipping and I'll bet it's similar or (more likely) better performance. A $600 Hsu, Rythmik or SVS would drop-kick it into the next galaxy.
When I visited one nothing was set up much higher quality then my sad Klipch icon speakers only marten Logan electrostatic speakers with the woofer in the bottom . I liked there motion speakers but wow expensive!!! I鈥檇 certainly consider chane or something similar .

shady sales tactics yes !!!
Yeah I鈥檓 not a fan of there terrible selection and not driving 30+ minutes to magnolia.
They have a ton of models only sold online too .

Tiny size kills its bass output what鈥 a Waste of amplifier power ... I鈥檝e seen $100-200 subs weigh 35-40 pounds with better performance numbers ...
MartinLogan Dynamo 700W 10" Subwoofer with Wireless (Black) Amazon.com: MartinLogan Dynamo 700W 10" Subwoofer with Wireless (Black): Electronics

Registered
Note, these guys have the Motion 8 with the same tweeter and dual 4" main drivers for $270, Amazon has it for $300.

The can be used horizontally or vertically as the tweeter has equal horizontal and vertical dispersion.

I use one as my center with LX16s left and right and it plays surprisingly loud; louder than I car to listen, with zero distortion that I can detect.

Registered
Note, these guys have the Motion 8 with the same tweeter and dual 4" main drivers for $270, Amazon has it for $300.
The can be used horizontally or vertically as the tweeter has equal horizontal and vertical dispersion.
Not sure how you could use them vertically (unless wall mounted) since they are not rectangular but sort of trapezoidal...

Registered
Not sure how you could use them vertically (unless wall mounted) since they are not rectangular but sort of trapezoidal...
True though you could easily make a stand using an MDF base and a 4x4 tower for like $10 at home depot and screw it to that using the included wall mount.

Would actually look kind of cool.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts