AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase my neighbors house and sold my house. My Winegard HD8200 is still at my old house but I have the rights to take it any time. I am wondering if I could just split and share with my new neighbor. Here are my stats:

Zip code 60922 (62 miles south of Chicago)

Winegard HD8200 antenna

Winegard AP-8780 amp power source in old house

26 FT tower

LG 42" Plasma with built in DVR

The above setup worked very well with one tv. I am wondering if splitting four way would be foolish

1. old house 1 tv

2. new house #1 tv

3. #2 tv

4 #3 radio/tv garage

Should I split four ways off the tower or just split two ways off the tower and then split the other three ways in my house.

Please list any hardware recommendations or past performance experiences

Thank you

·
Registered
948 Posts
All of your Chicago stations have noise margins below 20. By spilitting the signal 4 ways, it would probably work under optimal conditions. But when storms or tropospheric enhancement bring interference into the area, you would probably lose most of your stations.

Also, running cable to multiple buildings means very long cable runs. Even with amplification and high-quality RG-6, you will lose a lot of signal in those long runs, and considering that you don't have a lot to begin with...it might not work for those tuners that are the farthest away.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, maybe pick up a few splitters and a quality RG6 cable, and just run it across the yard as a test. You could then add amplification and see if it brings the reception up to an accepatable level. You would want a mast amplifier first, and then a distribution amp right before those long cable runs. If you can't get it to work to your satisfaction, it might be best to pick up a Winegard 7698 (the 7-69 version of your 8200) for the new house.

One more thing, it looks like if you added a rotor, you could also grab most of the Champaign stations as well.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEBANSE /forum/post/20865457

I recently purchase my neighbors house and sold my house. My Winegard HD8200 is still at my old house but I have the rights to take it any time. I am wondering if I could just split and share with my new neighbor. Here are my stats:

Zip code 60922 (62 miles south of Chicago)

Winegard HD8200 antenna

Winegard AP-8780 amp power source in old house

26 FT tower

LG 42" Plasma with built in DVR

The above setup worked very well with one tv. I am wondering if splitting four way would be foolish

1. old house 1 tv

2. new house #1 tv

3. #2 tv

4 #3 radio/tv garage

Should I split four ways off the tower or just split two ways off the tower and then split the other three ways in my house.

Please list any hardware recommendations or past performance experiences

Thank you

I would just split it two ways off the tower, amplify the signal before using hardwire to your house, then split it three ways in your house. And prepare to move the antenna to your house (or get a new one.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.