AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 replays on my home network. After a hell of a battle to get them to even see the network (buffalo G54's) I have everything going except program sharing.

They connect just find and all functions EXCEPT program sharing work. When I go to find other replays (via 243zone) they see each other. When I try to enter the information into the Internet address book and enter the Internet S/N of the other Replay it says it can't find the replay. The only thing I can think of is the port but the manual barely mentions it saying little more than it should be a high number like 0000029. Is this an arbitrary number or does it need to be a specific number? I would assume it needs to be the same on each unit on the same network. Where do I change the port settings. If a specific number how do I find what this number should be?

Not knowing just for the hell of it I have set the ports to 1222 on each unit, and that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Sundance

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I assume by "sharing" you mean local IVS, not streaming. First you need to make sure you have a router that supports local loopback - most Linksys routers with recent firmware do as well as serveral other routers. Buffalo WBR-G54s do NOT. Secondly, you should use a DIFFERENT port for each RTV and setup port forwarding in the router as described in the manual.

IMO local IVS is pretty worthless anyway seeing that you can stream between units or offload shows to a DVArchive server.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Perhaps I am totally misunderstanding what you are trying to do here, but assuming you are attempting normal stuff......

In many cases, you can't share shows over the internet btwn 2 RTV's on the same segment of a network (reasons are complex). But why would you ever want to do that anyway?? It would take several hours to transfer even a one hour show that way.

One of the big advanges of the RTV device is that each can STREAM shows directly from another unit over your home network. IOW, the show remains on RTV-A but can be played on RTV-B. This is all automatic. As soon as you plug both RTV's into your ethernet (wired, wireless has its problems) and each is assigned an IP address, you can immediately begin viewing shows one from the other.

If you are having trouble, it's probably because you have not done setup properly, or your network is not assigning IP addresses.

I presume you have read the RTV manual.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
It would take several hours to transfer even a one hour show that way.
Maybe it's the way my home network is set up or something, but when I do this the show transfers to the other ReplayTV unit about as fast as it does to DVArchive.

The only mysterious thing about it is that it often takes quite awhile before any transfer starts.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrecks
Maybe it's the way my home network is set up or something, but when I do this the show transfers to the other ReplayTV unit about as fast as it does to DVArchive.

The only mysterious thing about it is that it often takes quite awhile before any transfer starts.
The negotiation time between RTVs I believe still goes through RTV server and so transfer can take up to 30 minutes from acceptance to begin. Once it begins the speed is limited only by your LAN & RTV max transfer rates, so should be similar transfer speeds as DVA as you mentioned.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what IVS is or loopback. I just know other are doing what I'm trying to do with the Buffalo G54's.

I'm not talking about sharing over the Internet. I'm talking about watching a show recorded on the Replay in the living room on the replay in the bedroom.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sundance
I don't know what IVS is or loopback. I just know other are doing what I'm trying to do with the Buffalo G54's.

I'm not talking about sharing over the Internet. I'm talking about watching a show recorded on the Replay in the living room on the replay in the bedroom.

Thanks
This is more commonly called "streaming" from one RTV to the other. If the units can really SEE each other then you should see "My ReplayTV->" on the top right corner of the screen when you bring up the GUIDE. If you scroll to this entry you should be able to select the right arrow on the remote to switch the GUIDE to the remote RTV, and then it should show the GUIDE for that RTV. Then you just select the show you want to watch and it should stream the show over your network. If you don't see the entry on the top right corner it means the units cannot SEE each other and you have some setup problems with your WBR-G54s.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's probably easier to go back to basics (just to be sure - don't be offended if you're well aware of this info.)

If you've got 2 replays, you simply need to select the 2nd replay in the upper right hand corner of the program guide. If you see or something similar in the upper right hand corner of the guide, it means that your replay unit "sees" a 2nd unit on your network (either a 2nd replay or DVArchive box). If you hit the up arrow on the remote until that is highlighted, you can use the left and/or right buttons to select other units (aka bedroom, living room, etc). When you do that, you will see the other unit's programs. Just select one of them and watch. That's it.

What you appeared to be trying to do is IVS (Internet video sharing.) This is where you can send a show to another replay (for example, MINE sitting in my living room) over the internet. That would take (depending on your internet connection) up to a day or so. You do that by entering in the "serial numbers" you were referring to. To do that, you have to set up your router (assuming you don't have static internet IP's for your replays - and if you're not 100% sure about that, you DON'T) to route traffic to your replays. There are a lot of threads out there about that, so I won't get into that here. NAT loopback is a feature that you aren't concerned about unless you want to send a show from one replay to another within your home (most people don't do this) so it physically resides on both hard drives. It would basically allow you to skip going out to the internet (thus slowing down the process A LOT). Again, rough overview. Hopefully that helps.

Edit: Dang, typed too slowly :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smckean
...In many cases, you can't share shows over the internet btwn 2 RTV's on the same segment of a network (reasons are complex). But why would you ever want to do that anyway?? It would take several hours to transfer even a one hour show that way...
Newbie with 2 5040s here - after spending a good hour trying to add Replay#2 to Replay#1's Internet Address Book, I logged onto AVS and found this thread. "Reasons are complex" - would you please explain (a brief overview would be fine ;) ) [Streaming works fine btw...]

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bakerzdosen
What you appeared to be trying to do is IVS (Internet video sharing.) This is where you can send a show to another replay (for example, MINE sitting in my living room) over the internet. That would take (depending on your internet connection) up to a day or so. You do that by entering in the "serial numbers" you were referring to. To do that, you have to set up your router (assuming you don't have static internet IP's for your replays - and if you're not 100% sure about that, you DON'T) to route traffic to your replays. There are a lot of threads out there about that, so I won't get into that here. NAT loopback is a feature that you aren't concerned about unless you want to send a show from one replay to another within your home (most people don't do this) so it physically resides on both hard drives. It would basically allow you to skip going out to the internet (thus slowing down the process A LOT). Again, rough overview. Hopefully that helps.

Edit: Dang, typed too slowly :)
Well, whether you typed too slowly or not, your reply "lit the lightbulb" inside my head. :D

It should be in a FAQ or a STICKY (or it is and I missed it) that REGARDLESS of where the machines are located (inside the same house on the same LAN segment or on opposite coasts of the United States), to "Add Entry to Internet Address Book", an Internet Connection with Port Forwarding in the Router's Firewall MUST BE ENABLED since these ARE NOT PC's (silly me! :eek: ) and they must contact the ReplayTV Server / MotherShip to "?validate?" the Internet Serial Number.

Explanation: I wanted to test my settings and see if I could move a half hour show between my 5040s *BEFORE* I attempted to ask a "Stranger" for a Test Clip. Even though they are both plugged into the SAME Switch and can STREAM shows between each other, I couldn't "Add Entry to Internet Address Book" *UNTIL* I added the two Port Forwarding entries to my router. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.