AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is has probably been answered but I can't seem hit the right search terms to get a manageable number of hits.

I have 2 HDHR3 boxes (4 tuners total) and 2 PCs running Win 7 Media Center all on my home network. Can I "pool' or share all 4 tuners between the 2 PCs (both PCs know about all 4 tuners), or do I need only let each PC know about 1 of the HRDR3 boxes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You don't need to do anything special, just set up both PC's with both tuners.

If a tuner is in use, then the requesting PC will only use tuner that is not in use.

This is a little bit different than tuner pooling done in WMC it self, where if a tuner is in use, and another user (extender) tunes the same channel, the machine will only use 1 tuner.

In your case, you will use 2 tuners even if both PC's are tuning the same channel.

You will also have to manage 2 recording schedules, since PC's can't communicate with each other, like you would with an extender.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
WMC will automatically detect all tuners connected to your PC and present you with the option to use all of them, whether they be internal PCI or PCI-e, external USB, or networked. I've got both a HDHR Dual and a Prime and it finds all five tuners on all PCs that have the HDHR software installed. The caveat is that WMC won't detect them unless you have installed the HDHR software and run the setup on each PC.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1520938/sharing-multiple-hdhomeruns-between-mutliple-media-center-pcs/0_50#post_24437819

You don't need to do anything special, just set up both PC's with both tuners.

If a tuner is in use, then the requesting PC will only use tuner that is not in use.

This is a little bit different than tuner pooling done in WMC it self, where if a tuner is in use, and another user (extender) tunes the same channel, the machine will only use 1 tuner.

In your case, you will use 2 tuners even if both PC's are tuning the same channel...

Would you please explain this in a bit more detail?

Are you saying that PCs cannot share tuners with other PCS, while multiple extenders can, along with one PC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand  /t/1520938/sharing-multiple-hdhomeruns-between-mutliple-media-center-pcs#post_24444226

Would you please explain this in a bit more detail?

Are you saying that PCs cannot share tuners with other PCS, while multiple extenders can, along with one PC?

Thanks!

You are talking about 2 different levels of tuner pooling.

Tuner pooling at the tuner level, will dynamically assign an available tuner to a requesting PC. If another PC requests a tuner, and tunes the same exact channel as the first PC, second PC will get a different tuner.

Tuner pooling at the HTPC with extenders is: If user 1 (host PC or extender) tunes a channel, or it is being used for recording this same channel already), and user 2 (extender) requests the same channel, then only 1 tuner will be utilized. If user 3 (extender) requests the same channel, only 1 tuner will be used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.