AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 speakers in my system, 2 large fronts (12" woofers) and 2 small rears (8" woofers). No separate subwoofer. Denon AVR has SPDIF and multichannel analog inputs, no HDMI. What is the best way to set this up so the LFE signal comes through the front speakers?

Also where can I get a file to test the audio, especially for MKV/H264 files.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some digging and apparently FFshow automatically does everythign through "mixer" and is fully adjustable when used with the analog outputs. Still would like a test file to make sure that all channels are actually getting through, especially the LFE.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ffdshow is doing great on movies/videos, how do I set it not to activate with audio files? ffdshow wants to make ALL or NONE of 2ch files into PLII. I want 2CH video files in PLII, audio files don't even need ffdshow.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If you're using Shark you should even need to customize settings in FFDshow unless you're doing something unusual.

The key is to make sure your audio settings are set properly in the Windows Control panel. Shark on the audio tab shouldn't be touched on the left side as it will auto detect what you have in Windows. On the right side if using SPDIF then you'll probably want to choose the FFDShow passthru option.

At that point your audio will be sent "untouched" to your AVR at which points your settings on the AVR determine what is done. On mine I have DD and DTS to play with no additional settings, just the raw audio. For 2 channel I have it apply Prologic II to it so it simulates surround.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running analog outputs. There is no default for 4CH in Shark that doesn't include LFE. Right now I'm short a subwoofer and center speaker (center next on the list, then maybe sub. I have FFdshow set up to send LFE/Center through the mains. I can go into FFshow and correct the LFE and Center channel issues, they work properly. Bass management in Windows is awful, LFE redirect doesn't work at all.

My bigger concern is in the Shark default settings PLII decoding with FFshow is disabled by default, enabling it make MP3 audio also get PLII. I'd like to have audio only files just skip FFdshow altogether. Changing various settings in Shark007 breaks PLII decoding on AVI files.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts