AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

One of the Best Summer Traditions continues starting tonight.


Blood in the Water looks beutiful, here's to most being in HD and not alot of upconverted SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
My wife and I enjoyed 'Blood in the Water.' Got a bit repetitive toward the end but the re-enactments and SFX were very well done. Liked how they threw shark facts/tidbits in with the storyline. I was really shocked to learn the first documented US attack was in 1916 (either coast.) I assume other earlier attacks just were misinterpreted or went unreported. And people just didn't frequent the oceans as much back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek /forum/post/16934328


My wife and I enjoyed 'Blood in the Water.' Got a bit repetitive toward the end but the re-enactments and SFX were very well done. Liked how they threw shark facts/tidbits in with the storyline. I was really shocked to learn the first documented US attack was in 1916 (either coast.) I assume other earlier attacks just were misinterpreted or went unreported. And people just didn't frequent the oceans as much back then.



yeah they kicked it off well, it was a very informative show and I like the style. The productin was just gorgous. colors were very very rich amazing detail and clarity.

Lot's a great facts especially how it was the inspiration for the book JAWS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts
I found it hard to watch Blood in the Water after they blamed the killings on a Great White. No shark expert thinks the 1916 attacks were done by a white, it was a Bull Shark, Whites can't survive in rivers, but Bulls sure can. I know they mentioned the water possibly being saltier than normal, but there is no proof of that at all. To make it even worse, the show prior to it was about the 10 deadliest sharks and in the segment on the Bulls they mentioned this attack and explained why it had to have been a bull.

Not even to mention that a white shark is not a grasp and hold on killer. They tend to take one massive bite and swim away and let the prey bleed to death. A Bull will hold on though.

Just another example of bad science from a network that should know better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,992 Posts
Damn, missed it last night, forgot to set the DVR, hopefully it'll repeat.


And wow, they really blamed the 1916 attacks on a Great White? I thought everyone knew it was a bull shark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/16935399


I found it hard to watch Blood in the Water after they blamed the killings on a Great White. No shark expert thinks the 1916 attacks were done by a white, it was a Bull Shark, Whites can't survive in rivers, but Bulls sure can. I know they mentioned the water possibly being saltier than normal, but there is no proof of that at all. To make it even worse, the show prior to it was about the 10 deadliest sharks and in the segment on the Bulls they mentioned this attack and explained why it had to have been a bull.

Not even to mention that a white shark is not a grasp and hold on killer. They tend to take one massive bite and swim away and let the prey bleed to death. A Bull will hold on though.

Just another example of bad science from a network that should know better.



You've got to remember they did this show through the premis of what was believed back during the time all this was going on in NJ. They thought it was a Great White back then.


At the end they did say that most shark experts believe it was a bull shark and not a Great White.

But the show was done as a documentary that would have taken place at the time of incident. That's what made the show very interesting to watch. They were using the science that was available to them at the time.


I thought it was a very well done show all around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock /forum/post/16937704


we'll see how this is tonight. im not a huge fan of survivorman but we'll see

it wasn't bad, but I can only take so much of surviorman, he's a bit of a tool. but I never get tired of the South African breaching Great Whites, that is just the craziest thing to watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/16938434


but I never get tired of the South African breaching Great Whites, that is just the craziest thing to watch.

I have told my wife that is one thing I am going to see in person before I croke. The power is simply awesome. Hopefully I can see it before people kill them all off for soup


Sign the petition to ban fining here:
http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site...ticle&id=12982
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/16938607


I have told my wife that is one thing I am going to see in person before I croke. The power is simply awesome. Hopefully I can see it before people kill them all off for soup


Sign the petition to ban fining here:
http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site...ticle&id=12982


Great idea posting the petition. I signed with pleasure. I'm no tree hugger or a PETA nut etc but what man is doing to the sharks is disgusting. Also I hate the Shark fishing contests. It's just sickening.



I'm with you on going on one of those South African shark exp. I have to see that as well, It really is just nuts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C  /t/1167837/shark-week-2009#post_23594060


Shark Week 2013 starts tonight at 7:00 PM CST with Air Jaws on Discovery Channel and Ragged Tooth Sharks on NatGeo Wild at 7:00 PM CST
WOOT!

Thanx for that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C  /t/1167837/shark-week-on-discovery-channel#post_23603139


Holy ****, Paul's shark bite was hardcore! It was shown on the program "I escaped Jaws" tonight at 8:00.


wow! Another guy with half his leg bit off, dude's name was Eric.

Precisely why I never swim in the ocean.

Oddly, I have never been bit by a shark....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1167837/shark-week-on-discovery-channel#post_23603830


Precisely why I never swim in the ocean.

Oddly, I have never been bit by a shark....

You're quite lucky. If you've watched a lot of Shark Week in the past, you would know that Bull Sharks can be found in fresh water!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top