AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was working just fine until tonight when I uninstalled and then installed the latest and greatest (2.6.9 for x86, 2.7.3 for x64) w/ the "Suggested Settings"

ARRRRGH, what gives?

Now WMC quickly flashes :

"Cannot Play Video

Windows Media Center cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found"

TIA!!!!

-edit, if I "RESET ALL" it works. So something in the Suggested Settings is breaking it.

I'm using HDMI to connect to a receiver (bitstream 5450) if that matters.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammite /forum/post/19572743

i learned long ago not to fix what is not broken.

Amen to that!!!

I'm still in the 'setup' phase of getting all my HT equipment and files to play nicely with each other. So I'm cool with tweaking (for now). Before tonight I couldn't get MKVs to play for some reason, lol.

However now I think I'm all set. My Blu-Ray discs play TRUE-HD. My rips play 5.1 (MP4, AVI, MKV, etc). And my Live TV plays 5.1 as well. I (knock on wood) think I have everything all setup for now.

Now I will never update anything. I specifically have Windows Update turned off cause I didn't want Windows dinkin around w/ my video drivers.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/19572621

if I "RESET ALL" it works. So something in the Suggested Settings is breaking it.

Just in case you want to still use the Suggested settings checkbox, the setting that is breaking MP4 playback is on the SWAP TAB. The suggested settings are disabling Media Foundation (for proper m2ts playback). If you set the suggested settings and then subsequently re-enable media foundation on the swap tab, you'll be good to go.

and I agree 110%, if it is not broken, dont try to fix it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Before I ever do a Shark pack update I save my settings so after the update I can go back to the original settings.

I've also found a weird bug (at least on my system) were on the last few updates I needed to open up a m2ts file first in MPC Homecinema and use the True HD and DTS-HD before playing them in WMC. If not I will either get the same error you were getting or the HD tracks will not play.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 /forum/post/19573333

and I agree 110%, if it is not broken, dont try to fix it.

But when your program says there is an update available how can I resist the urge?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19573666

But when your program says there is an update available how can I resist the urge?

On the Help TAB, there is a checkbox to disable new release notifications. Even if you disable that feature on the Help TAB, there is another builtin mechanism that will ask you to update once your current installation is more than 45days old.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
What I do with Shark before an update (which I really resist the urge but can't help myself every couple months) is to write down all setting choices on all tabs (besides saving settings). That way once I upgrade and choose recommended then I go tab by tab and make sure everything is set exactly as I had it before. That has never failed me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.