AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my post late last week about my Sharp 10000 (80 hours) going in for repair. I saw Sharp 10000 projector during a store demo that exhibited the exact same defect. Now I'm wondering if this is something wrong with the Sharp 10000 or something inherent in the HD2 chip.

The defect I'm describing is multiple, fine/faint horizontal lines, spaced evenly apart (about 3 inches on a 92 inch diagonal screen) going down the screen. There are about 13 or 14 individual lines, and they go completely across the screen. The lines don't scroll or waver, they are fixed and are about as wide as the lines inbetween the individual pixels. They are visible only when standing very close to the screen. Also, they are visible on ALL inputs. The projector at the store had 447 hours on the bulb. I also noted a little bulb flicker one or two times while watching the store 10000 - I've never seen this on my 9000 (on my 2nd bulb) and never saw this on my 10000 during the 80 hours it was on.

I will describe a scene in Star Wars where the defect is visible. Check out chapter 9 of Star Wars, Attack of the Clones. A minute or so into chapter 9, there is an image of Yoda sitting in a red chair, with a greyish green background to the left and right of the chair. Pause or watch this image closely, and right up next to the screen, and you may see the horizontal lines. Make sure the projector is in high contrast mode and power save off as this makes the lines more visible (but they are visible either way).

Does anyone else see this on their Sharp 10000 or any other DLP machine? This is the artifact I'm seeing and sent my 10000 in for a repair. These horizontal lines are not visible on my Sharp 9000 projector at home, and they were not visible on another LCD projector in the store (a Yamaha LPX 500 I think) with the same input.

Am I crazy or is this a real problem??

Corey J

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
When I first saw this on my Sharp 10000 I thought it was normal for DLP. It only happens occasionally, it's not a constant thing (not from normal viewing distances anyway). If Sharp suggested you send it in for repair, I'm guessing it's not normal.

I just sent my second Sharp back to the dealer. If they'll give me a refund, I think I'm going to take it. Too many issues with this model I think. Too bad, because it's really a nice projector.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck. No lines on my Marantz VP12S2 with HD2 chip.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
mooneycj - I haven't noticed any lines like this but haven't been looking for them either. I'd run your suggested check but I don't have that movie. If you can describe another way for me to look for this using AVIA or VE or regular material let me know and I'll have a look for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had interference in the picture on my Sim HD2 projector, but it was a grounding/phase problem on my DVD player. I just switched the phase (turned all outlets in the system to be in phase) and it was gone.

I think you should look up your grounding and if all equipment are in phase.

/Best Regards

Fredrik

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovingdvd:

Try one of the sub menus on Video Essentials where there is a light gray background, you should be able to see them there too.

Fredrik:

I did check all the cables and wiring. My projector and other equipment are on the same power line. Note that my Sharp 9000 projector works fine. Additionally, I saw this artifact in a Home Theater store on another Sharp 10000 projector

Corey

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mooneycj
Lovingdvd:

Try one of the sub menus on Video Essentials where there is a light gray background, you should be able to see them there too.

Fredrik:

I did check all the cables and wiring. My projector and other equipment are on the same power line. Note that my Sharp 9000 projector works fine. Additionally, I saw this artifact in a Home Theater store on another Sharp 10000 projector

Corey
Like which sub menu specifically? I've always found their menu system to be rather confusing, so I'd like to make sure I'm checking a menu that you'd expect the problem to occur under.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Smooth sailing here on my Sharp 10K after 125 hours with no lines whatsoever regardless of distance.

Too bad you must experience this phenomenon & best of luck in getting it resolved with Sharp.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
mooneycj, you didn't tell us which input you were using. I have an infocus 7200 that does project vertical green lines (faint but there) when attaching my Xbox via component cables. Never had any lines with the VGA or DVI input (I use a PC via DVI for DVD and VGA from zenith sat 520)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lovingdvd:

Try "start at a chapter" then go up to "video calibration." Basically any screen where there is a gray or light background (ie not all white or all black) you should be able to see it. Put your DVD on pause.

Paul: I can see this artifact on ANY input. I tried component 1 and 2 with DVD and HDTV, composite and S-video. (same for the machine I saw at the store).

Corey

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Corey have you tried the DVI or VGA. I believe any lesser quality input might give the same or worse results

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I also saw the grounding problem on the Seleco and the NEC. Horizontal lines, that move upwardes with color also. A cheat adaptor on the projectors three prong plug and reversing it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"I also saw the grounding problem on the Seleco and the NEC. Horizontal lines, that move upwardes with color also. A cheat adaptor on the projectors three prong plug and reversing it fixed the problem"

Guitarman: this is not a grounding problem. The lines are fixed, no scrolling or wavering, no color at all. The lines were still visible even with all the ancillary equipment shut down and just a single DVD component input going to the projector. It didn't matter if the DVD player was run from the same power line or another one.

Paul: sorry, didn't try the DVI input as I didn't have a VGA to DVI converter cable.

My projector arrived at the service center today, should know more in a day or two.

Corey J

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a call from Sharp service today. "No problems" were found with the projector, it is being shipped back tomorrow. Now I'm confused where to look for problems in my system. Again, no artifact lines are visible with my Sharp 9000. Will let you know when I get the 10000 up and running again, what happens.

mooneycj

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bad news. The lines are still there. I took the projector over to a friends home theater, the lines are still visible using his equipment so it's definitely a problem with my projector. I am working with the dealer and Sharp for the next step. Bummer.

mooneycj

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Why do you think there we unable to reproduce this? Its diappointing to hear, as its easy to take it as though their service folks may not have been detailed enough to reproduce the issue. Hope that's not the case but if you can repro it using other equipment I would think they should be able to as well...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.