AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Sharp 10K. I saw a demo today with a Dish HD feed and DVD using the internal Sharp scaler. I have a **W Rock+ scaler without a DVI output. I can upgrade the Rock+ to add the DVI output to interface to the DVI IN on the Sharp. I'm not sure what that upgrade will cost yet ;-) but wanted to ask the experts if there is a noticeable difference between the DVI input and RGB input from a good scaler to the Sharp 10K. Is it worth paying to upgrade the scaler to add the DVI output or not?

Trying to budget everything before I buy the Sharp 10K.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would give the Sharp internal scaler another look. It is a much improved version of the Sharp 9000 version and many feel meets or exceeds the big name product found in other pj's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ksoza -- I bought my Rock+ scaler for my Barco and my Barco 1208 has died. So I'm looking to get the Sharp 10K rather than repair the Barco. Since I already own this high end scaler I want to use it. (I'm looking forward to A/B testing it with the Sharp internal scaler though)

The question really is: Do you get that much better picture through a scaler with a DVI interface than you do with the same scaler and the RGB interface?

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth upgrading my scaler to add a DVI output or not.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts
SS,

I have my 10K hooked to an HTPC. DVI interface for DVD playback and RGBHV for HDTV. I will say that the RGBHV is stunning. Of course the source resolution is better than that coming from the DVD so it is not a true A-B comparison.

I would say don't upgrade your scaler for DVI. It is there if you ever want to play with it on a future source component. The picture is awesome on this thing via the RGBHV.

Then maybe buy one of the upcoming DVD players that has a DVI output and wire it up directly. I've not seen one of these players, but I'm assuming they come with settings to output the 1280x720p that is native to the Sharp 10K. Then there is no scaler to botch things up. And some here are saying players will go for around $200? That has to be less than your scaler upgrade...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tlight -- Very good point about the cost of the scaler upgrade VS DVI interfaced DVD players for $200...

I also run my Replay TV through my scaler. Based on your feedback, and knowledge of the Sharp 10K, I would interface to the Sharp with the following hookups:

1) Panny DVD & Replay TV (non HDTV DSS) interface through my Rock+ scaler interfacing to the Sharp 10K through the 5 pin RGB interface.

2) Samsung TR-165 terrestrial HDTV interfacing to the Sharp 10K through the DVI interface

3) JVC 30K D-Theater/HDTV VCR interface to the Sharp 10K through component (Y,Pb,Pr) interface

If I'm watching HDTV recorded onto the JVC 30K, then I would play it back through the firewire interface through the Samsung DVI interface to the Sharp. (You can not play D-Theater movies through the firewire and Samsung only output through component analog)

THe Sharp 10K gives me three inputs.

Is this the best set up for inputs to the Sharp 10K???

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts
SS,

Sounds like a good setup to me. Of course you can play with it. With so many inputs you could see what works best.

What type of screen will you be using and what type of room will it be in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tlight -- My home theater is 17 ft wide and 22 ft long. Seating is 13.5 - 14 ft from the screen. Light proof curtains. (Had to make the room completely dark for my broken Barco 1208.)

I haven't bought the Sharp 10K yet, but according to the Projector Central projection calculator, the distance to screen that the Sharp 10K will support is 14.2 ft to 21.5 ft for my existing (from my Barco setup) 16:9 image size 119" diag 56" height 104" width Dialite Cosmopolitan Electrosol 1.3 gain screen.

The distance from my screen to my stereo cabinet shelf in the back of the room is between 19.5' and 20'.

So from what I see the Sharp 10K is a perfect fit to replace my broken Barco 1208 CRT projector. I posted another post but would like to ask you the same question. Can I use my existing 1.3 gain screen with the Sharp 10K or do I have to replace it with a Firehawk?

My Barco has been broken since November and I fixed it and it broke again and burned two tubes. I've been 5 months without my home theater :-( and am looking at the Sharp 10K to get me back in business :)

Can you help push me over the edge?

I need to spend the money I've saved up before my wife wants new furniture or something ;-)

Thanks for your coaching and advice.

Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
You will love the Sharp - The picture quality and color reproduction will make the transition to DLP easier and you will extra time to enjoy movies instead of regular calibrating ;-)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know enough about your screen or your existing PJ to tell you for sure. If the Barco is a good CRT and was properly calibrated, you might be used to very good black levels and contrasts. If the Dalite is a high contrast screen (ie a gray type of material) I would say you will be fine. If it is a white material you might be disappointed with the black levels of ANY digital PJ. But the 1.3 gain is comparable to the Firehawk so I think your image will be plenty bright. If your walls aren't dark, you might look at making them so if the wife will let you. This will cut down on reflected light that can wash out your picture.

I have a 110" diagonal Grayhawk and the blacks are gorgeous. Gray blacks bother me. But then again, I wasn't used to watching another PJ like you. I only judged by demos I saw in stores.

I would suggest you go ahead and try using your screen. Maybe order a sample of the Firehawk and Grayhawk material from Stewart (not sure if they charge for this or not) and hold it up to your existing screen after you get the 10k. See if the difference is enough that you want to spend the extra bucks on a new screen.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a similar room as yours and I have the Sharp 10K. Depth is the same but my width is a bit smaller.

Feel free to use your scaler's DVI output. This will reproduce a better picture unless you have your sharp ISF calibrated at which point the component will be definitely better. ( I had mine done and the differences are noticeable). This is attributed to the fact that there is very limited adjusments with the DVI input.

Obviously this only applies to component vs. DVI, so the scaler w/ DVI (I suspect) will look better with composite or S-Video sources, etc.

You may want to reconsider the 119" Diag Firehawk and go smaller unless you plan on sitting far back from the screen or you are one of those people that goes to the movies and like to sit in the front 1/3 of the theater. With that size screen you will undoubtedly have a significant amount of "eye wander" at certain seating distances.

I suspect your brightness will probably be satisfactory with that size when going with high contrast mode depending on what you are used to or are expecting.

NIc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nkuehn -- You have educated me. All of the adjustments on the Sharp only effect the RGB and component inputs and not DVI? I didn't see that in the literature...

tlight -- I have black curtains that cover the whole front wall behind my screen and 10' curtains from the front of the room along the side walls that cover the windows. How about the ceiling? My ceiling is white paint and if I can get away with it (wife acceptance factor) I was going to paint it a dark grey. I sometimes had a horizontal band at the top of my screen on the bright screens with my Barco and thought it might be because of the reflection off of the white ceiling.

ksoza --

Quote:
"You will love the Sharp - The picture quality and color reproduction will make the transition to DLP easier and you will extra time to enjoy movies instead of regular calibrating ;-)"
I loved my Barco but it was mounted above my couch and was just to noisy and I did recalibrate it on a monthly basis as the convergence did drift after a while. When I saw the Sharp demoed a couple of days ago, the guy took it out of a case, set it on a table, zoomed and focused and that was it. After being CRT for almost 4 years I was wowed with ease of use and the quietness of the DLP2 projectors. Ease of use has convinced me to go digital...

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck with the WAF....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tlight --

Quote:
Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck with the WAF....
I was thinking about painting the ceiling dark grey before I got the new projector so when my wife sees a movie I can point out that there is no longer that irritating banding at the top of the screen during bright screens. That way I can justify it... Why is it that the wives have a problem with going from a "ceiling white" to dark grey on the ceiling???

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
209 Posts
S.S.

Yes, certain calibration features are "disabled" in DVI input mode.

I have the wall where the FH screen is as flat black, then the rest of the room flat gray. Won't win any kind of appearance award but absolutely functional.

Nic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.