AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking to buy Sharp10k or BenQ. My room is 25x15 with 8 feet wall and cathedral ceiling rising to around 12ft. I plan to install 110" diag screen, so the top of the screen will be about 7' from floor or 5' from ceiling peak. Will it look odd if I mount the PJ dropped 5' from ceiling? Have anyone done this and have any pictures? Another option is to construct suspended ceiling so it is dropped lower, but will be costly and not practical. Any other alternatives? Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Sharp 10K should be mounted a little bit lower than the BenQ PE8700 because the Sharp's lens must be no higher than the top of your screen in order to avoid keystoning. You can have the projector digitally compensate for keystoning, but most people avoid doing that because it costs you some resolution.

The BenQ, like most projectors, wants to be mounted somewhat above the top of the screen. But the BenQ has a very small offset (barely more than the 0" offset of the Sharp) and at your distances should be only 3" above the top of the screen.

You didn't say whether your "axis of projection" is across the long or short dimension of the room. If you are shooting across the short dimension (15') you can actually place the Sharp on a shelf on the wall opposite the screen. The Sharp's projection distance for a 110" diagonal 16x9 screen is between a little over 14' to a little over 19'. Placing the projector on a shelf in the back of the room may make it less obtrusive than hanging down on a pipe from your cathedral ceiling and it may make cable runs simpler too.

The BenQ has a much shorter throw: between 11.7' and 14.4' for a 110" diagonal screen, so it will definitely be hanging in the middle of the room.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"You didn't say whether your "axis of projection" is across the long or short dimension of the room."

My axis of projection is across the long dimension. And I measuree the nigh ceiling, it is actually only 10ft, not 12, so the projector only hang about 3ft from ceiling if I have 92x52 screen, with bottom screen 30in from floor. Since I can not run wire thru ceiliing, I have to run along the beam. Now I have to figure out how to hide the many wires (DVI, components, and S-video).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.