AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apartment complex is from the 1960s, so the ceiling to my living room is cement. Is there a way to mount into cement? Would it be strong enough to hold the projector's weight?

Sharp (in the manual for their mount) says to use beams to support the weight ... which makes sense if the rest of the ceiling is hollow. Since cement is solid am I okay?

Secondly, do I need to buy Sharp's mount? Or do people suggest a reliable 3rd party?

Finally, do I even NEED to ceiling mount? I was thinking about putting it on the top of my A/V rack behind and above the couch. Only downside would be that it might shift, or that the fans might be too loud? I have heard reports of 30 to 40dB ...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just a guess, but I would think that on a rack would be preferable to cement ceiling, but if you have to mount in cement try:

1) Lag bolts with lead anchors, or

2) Tapcon self-tapping concrete screws

Depending upon the thickness of the cement (i.e. solid or veneer) you may need to go with a expanding anchor if it's just a veneer with a hollow space above it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a 180 LB CRT mounted in my cement ceiling. ( same situation apartment about 40 years old) I had a contractor install it he used an expansion bolt.

The sharp is 30 Lbs if I recall. It will be much neater that way. But you do not NEED to mount it that way

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I might need to ceiling mount is if I go for a wide-angle (short throw) lens, so that I get a larger viewing size. I don't think this is going to happen, so I figure the A/V rack will be adequate (although louder!)

But thanks John and epiney for letting me know that it is possible if I needed/wanted to!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.