AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My picture is very good with the gamma setting to "black detail". However, the black level is just "a little" to dark at times. I don't like the standard or brighten setting.

Would anybody have a recommendation for what I should use and set in the Custom Gamma settings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Have you tried bumping up the brightness? As you probably know, that controls the absolute level of black. I've played around with different settings on my 12K. For some movies, such as Alien, which has a lot of blacks, I found that Black Detail setting most effective. On some other movies, I've found that the Standard setting looks better.

I haven't seen any details from people who have adjusted the fine controls in the Gamma settings. I heard that Steve Smallcombe, who did the SMART calibrations was planning on getting a SharpVision, but haven't heard from him in a while.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darrel,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I use the DVI input, so I can't adjust the Brightness control. So I was hoping that I could tweak it by changing the numbers in the Gamma settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Tim,

I didn't realize the 10K locked you out of those controls. I can change them on the 12K (I use DVI with HTPC). I've been playing around with the gamma settings, the econo mode, and the iris settings, just to get a feel for the trade-offs. Do you have complete light/reflection control in your HT?

Darrel

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darrel,

One of the advantages of the 12K is that Sharp lets you have access to those controls with DVI.

I do that total control with light.

Tim

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tim,

On the Sharp 10K using DVI input, in order to "imitate" the action of the (unavailable) brightness control:

Set the Gamma to "Custom 1" or "Custom 2." Then increase the R Offset, G Offset and B Offset by equal amounts. This increases the lower (black level) "anchor" of the gamma curve, which is what the Brightness control does.

The gamma Gain settings, used in unison, act like the Contrast control by setting the upper (white level) "anchor" of the gamma curve.

The gamma Gamma settings manipulate the "shape" of the gamma curve by altering the ratio of input signal to output light level. I'd leave those alone unless you know what you're trying to adjust or improve. In your case, increasing these somewhat may give you back the equivalent of the "Black detail" preset that you like.

If you're using DVI from your DVD player, you can use the Video Essentials or AVIA disks to help you get all of this just right. If, however, you're using DVI to bring in HD television signals (like I am), you've just got to eyeball it unless you find a channel that broadcasts test signals in the wee hours of the night. ;)

-H.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H...

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Before I did any tweating, I wanted to make sure I was doing the correct thing.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.