AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my broken Barco 1208... I'm looking at buying a Sharp 10K and need to know if I need to also replace my Dialite 16 x 9 119" 1.3 gain screen with a Firehawk? I saw a demo of the Sharp 10K today on a 108"? Draper? daig 1.2 gain screen and it looked terrific.

I have a totally dark (light controlled curtains) home theater. I had to set it up that way for the Barco. My seating is 13.5 - 14.0 feet from the screen. I searched the forum and some say you need a Firehawk with DLP and others say you don't with DLP2.

Can I use the Sharp 10K with my existing screen or do I need to budget to replace the screen with a Firehawk?

I thank the forum experts in advance for their coaching and advice!

Dave

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I would use that screen, especially with a light controlled room. The sharp is already dark enough and I think you will be happy using a 1.3 gain white screen. If you don't like it after watching for a while, THEN consider changing the screen.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think you'll be fine with the Dalite although the firehawk might bring incremental improvements. I would definitely stick with the Dalite for now. You can always spring for the firehawk if you're not happy with the Dalite.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goosey & Toxarch -- Thanks for your inputs. It looks like you both feel I can still use the 1.3 gain screen. I'm trying to get my arms around all costs as I upgrade form my broken Barco 1208 CRT to the Sharp 10K -- It's all part of setting expectations with-in the guidelines of the "wife acceptance factor"

Any one out there feel strongly that you have to use a "Firehawk" with the new DLP2 products and *shouldn't* use an existing 1.3 gain? i.e. Is it worth me throwing away an existing $2-3K Dialite screen and buying another $2-3K Firehawk screen?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think the Firehawk will most likely be better than the screen you have now. Whether it's worth it depends on you. I know how I hate these answers myself. So I'll try to give you an answer that you like. My advice is that if you're itching to buy it buy it if you can. You can always sell it later if you don't think it's worth the price if you're comfortable with doing that. However you really don't need it. Your current screen should work fine. What you can do is once everything is setup, compare the picture you get at home to a setup with a firehawk either at a store or at a friend's house.

The firehawk will get your mind off of things and have you stop questioning whether you could have done better but you don't need it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shakedown Street
Is it worth me throwing away an existing $2-3K Dialite screen and buying another $2-3K Firehawk screen?
If you are going to throw that screen away, send me a message. I'll take it. And you can easily find a Firehawk in the LOW 2K range. Just use your screen and decide later. You might not like the whiltes on a grey screen after using a white screen for so long. I personally think no HD2 DLPs that I have seen need a grey screen. They are dark enough already.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have my Sharp Z10000 projecting onto a DaLite 106" 1.3 cinemavision. The calibrated picture is amazing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dalite would be good, but Firehawk much better.

If you have nothing to compare to then you won't know the difference.

I have had both and the difference was noticeable to me, but may not be worth the difference to you in money.

Nic

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have the exact setup "Sharp 10K & DA-LITE 16 x 9 119" diag 1.3 gain" & I think it is the best combo for this PJ.

I have seen it with the Firehawk 100" & it wasn't as nice as the DA-LITE. As a matter of fact the grey screen of the Firehawk really hurts the colors.

Just my observations.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Shakedown Street,

As you can see you will have different opinions in the forum. I respect Chris' opinion and it may come down to personal preference, nuances, etc. I don't believe I have seen anyone do a screen shootout with this projector, but it would sure be interesting if it happened. Especially if you got some ISF Calibration Expert involved.

I think if you don't see each of them back to back and aren't one of these people who second guess yourself or decisions, then stick with the Da-Lite.

Nic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your inputs and opinions. I love you guys! I've asked a lot of questions to local high end stereo stores and no one understands this game like the members of the AVS forum. Before I spend any money I always check here.

I was wondering if maybe I could just replace the roller and screen with a Da-Lite equivalent to a Firehawk and save bucks. I was on the Da-Lite web site today and what scares me is the viewing angle of their gray screen is very small compared to the Stewart. Has anyone out there upgraded just the screen and roller and kept their case and motor etc? Any idea if Da-Lite would upgrade part of a Cosmopolitan Electosol rather than replacing the whole thing?

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.