Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boyz,

I have an airduct in my theater (yes, lucky me). Anway my screen hung fairly low off of the ceiling. Anyway this will mean that my projector will also be hung low. How much higher (in inches) than the top of the screen image can I mount the Sharp 10k (using keystoning and lense shifting) without degrading picture quality. I have tried to surf this forum to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

·
Registered
61 Posts
The lens shift moves the image 1/2 a screen height up or down from the central position. ie where the projector lens is at the mid point of the screen.

Therefore without using Keystone the projector can be set anywhere from the top to the bottom of the screen.

When ceiling mounted if you require the lens to be higher than the top of the screen you will need to tilt the projector down. When tilted keystone increases slightly the closer the projector is to the screen.

I have my projector a couple of inches above the screen but mounted a foot from maximum throw. Keystoning is not noticeable and I have no correction applied.

If you want to go a foot above the screen you may need correction. This will reduce resolution but moreover can cause artefacts and moire patterns.

Perhaps someone who is using keystone correction on the 10k can comment.

Roger.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm using keystone correction (set at -20), and the picture still looks fabulous. The Sharp does an excellent job with keystone correction. My projector is over 2 feet above the top of the screen and 16 feet away. I did an A/B comparison when I had the projector mounted even with the top of the screen vs. where it is mounted now, and I could not notice a difference on video (both DVD and HD sources). When using an HTPC with fine fonts, you can notice a difference. The fonts look a bit garbled, but still readable. I do agree that if you only need to be up to about a foot above the screen at maximum throw, the amount of keystone is minimal so you probably wouldn't need to bother with the digital correction.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.