AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the sharp 10k upconvert everything (SD, DVD, etc) automatically to 720p? Is there a setting i need to make to the projector?

reason im asking is that everyone is saying my Samsung 931 DVD player's component video stinks. I disagree with this. Im running component from the dvd player to my receiver to my Sharp 10k and i think it looks great. But maybe this is because my sharp upconverts.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yes the 10k will normally up/down scale all inputs to 720p. With one exception, if you are using the DVI input an option you can specify is pixel for pixel mode in which the PJ will just display what it's given no scaling or processing.

---

Derek

·
Registered
154 Posts
One worry I have with the Sharp 10k is what happens with swing pendulums. A friend of mine brought over a Kenwood Sovereign Demo disk with Faroudja test tracks. I kept seeing the pendulum flicker as it moved back and forth whether we feed the Sharp 480i or 480p. The worrisome theory is the Sharp is trying to de-interlace and/or scale from 480i/p to 720p and can't do it fast enough.

If true, the solution is to use an off-board scaler with faroudja/Silicon Image-caliber de-interlacing and scaling to 720p. I'm starting the search for scaling/DVD player/HD tuner options: Looks like there are least a couple of promising leads including Meridian G98 and the Iscan HD. How to feed DVI to the Sharp 10000 given a 16m (50+ ft) run....??

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Were you feeding the 10k via the DVI or component?

For 480i you can select how to deinterlace 2d, 3d or film, for 480p or 720p it should only be scaling.

---

Derek

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmmm... when it doubt, read the instructions....or even just the menu selections... DOH !

I'm feeding it component video for now. I'm investigating the practicalities (e.g. technical difficulties/cost) of a 16m (50+ ft) DVI cable and a TBD DVD source/scaler/HD tuner solution.

I haven't really fooled around yet with adjustments and calibration with test disks. Guess it's time.

So far, the only real complaint is it ain't close to being bright enough for daytime viewing in light-control-challenged room. Even at night, the room has to be dark enough to make using the remote controls an adventure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.