AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
JVC, Seymour, Anthem, Parasound, Focal, Arendal, Kaleidescape, Apple, Xbox, PS, Nintendo, PC
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am contemplating a purchase of an HD2/HD2+ projector. The Sharp 10k/12k is on the short list, but I'm worried about throw distance.

Our room is ~13' 3 1/2" or 159.5". We have a 92" Da-Lite HCCV that we are using now with our Sanyo Z2 and will use with the new DLP. Looking at the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com, for a 92" 16:9 screen, the Sharp needs 12.2' or 146.4" inches of throw. The machine itself is 16" deep.

Add that up and you need a room 162.4" across for a 92" setup, and that's with the projector butted up against the back wall. 162.4" is more than we have, but if we went to down a few inches in screen size, say to 90", we make the calculation by .7".

My question is, is this really dumb to put a projector that close to a wall? I believe the intake is in the back for air flow. Or should we just cross this model off of the list and stick to the BenQ or Infocus?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had the same problem. I really wanted the Sharp but it would have been right up against my back wall. I ended up going with the BenQ 8700 and I have no regrets, fantastic picture and saved a few bucks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JaremyP
I believe the intake is in the back for air flow.
The Sharps take in air from two vents in the front, various vents on the bottom of the unit (top if you use a ceiling mount), a vent over the exhaust (under for ceiling mount) and finally in the back. I would think that you'd have no problem at all with a 7" clearance in the back. My dealer had his demo set up with about 4" in the back, and after hundreds of hours he's had no "TEMP" warnings from the Sharp.

·
Registered
647 Posts
can you mount it in the wall? maybe cut a hole. That way you would never hear it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.