AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm anxiously awaiting the next round of DVI players but the bug is getting the best of me. I was wondering if those who are currently using a DVI DVD (not HTPC) could comment on the following:

1. What player are you using?

2. How would you rate your results versus a good quality non DVI signal?

3. Do you plan to invest in one of the upcoming second generation players?

4. Which one and why?

5. What DVI cable are you using and what is it's length?

Thanks for your input.

Bomber

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm using a Momitsu V880 with the latest firmware with my 12k and a 25' DVI cable from BetterCables.

Other than some very occasional hangs/burps from the V880 (which I believe I can fix by replacing/upgrading the power supply cap), the picture is pretty stunning.

There is a downside though - all the MPEG artifacts are really, really clearly visible, mostly in the form of mosquito noise in less than full saturated parts of the image. Once you see it though, even going back to Component doesn't hide it - it just is a lot less noticeable. So if such things bug you, you may be happier with component. and a small measure of ignorance :)

The only thing I can't figure out is if the V880s DVI output is at video levels or at RGB levels. The Sharp can take either one, but it's hard to see much of a difference. I know the difference is 0 vs 7.5IRE, but I haven't found what level the V880 considers black on it's DVI interface.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm considering abandoning my HTPC and going with a DVI capable DVD player (I list the reasons in the HTPC forum). Seems like there are a lot of drawbacks, though. Just hooking my non-interlaced component outputs of my DVD to my Sharp 12K, though, made me wonder if the trials and tribulations of an HTPC are worth it. Sure I won't be able to watch Coral Adventure in HD DVD, but the convenience of a dedicated DVD player are starting to look appealing...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am using Voom's DVI output to 12K with great results. I just bought a pioneer 59 with HDMI output. I ordered a HDMI to DVI cable but they send me the wrong one. I am using a DVI splitter from Gafen and the two 6ft DVI wires that came with it and I must say it works flawlessly. I also used the Bravo D-1 via DVI but picture looked way too washed out for my eyes. Waiting for HDMI to DVI cable now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The 59avi works great with my 12K!

Picked it because I wanted a player that works and didn't want to pay 1800+ for a Denon.

Using standard monoprice dvi cable w/ panasonic HDMI/DVI converter. I think my DVI cable was $12 and the HDMI cable around $30. THe total length is 15'.

P.Q. between the MONSTER DVI (I tested with) and my curent DVI is identicle.

If your paying > $7000 on a projector I wouldn't skimp on the player.

Comparing DVI to component, at least with the 59avi you'll notice an improvement in noise and thus clairity, but don't expect night and day difference. Now, if you're comparing the component of the bravo to the the bravo's DVI you'll notice a greater difference becuase the bravo stinks at component video out.

If you can wait a few more months and get by with what you have there will be more DVI players out to demo. Until then I think the 59avi or Denon 5900 would be your best match with a high end projector.

Good luck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the input.

BOmber

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.