AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts on the Sharp 12K (as well as DocDVD's 12K review) saying they set the color temp to 6500 (factory default is 8500). I have the Avia and the DVE disks, but I haven't seen any tests/patterns/instructions for color temp adjustment. Is 6500 standard, or a "magic number," since it seems a lot of people set it there? Or is there some test and/or measurement equipment to properly set color temp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is a setting in the user menu to adjust the color temp. You can change it to 6500, which is probably going to be pretty close to a TRUE 6500.

In order to make it perfect, with good greyscale tracking you'll need to pay somebody to ISF your projector. This is usually around $350 or so.

The tools to do it yourself range in price but would probably cost at least $1000 if not more.

Good luck! The Sharp's a great PJ.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the point is that I don't really understand color temp. Is 6500 considered the accurate, or neutral, color temp? I always assumed 8500 was, since this is my 3rd Sharp PJ (9K and 10K previously), and they all come preset @ 8500, and show 8500 as dead center of the color temp adjustment range.

·
Registered
988 Posts
6500 K is considered the standard. There was mention in another thread that it's possible that in Japan, 8500 K is the standard. I don't think that was confirmed, but it would indicate why these come at 8500. The other reason would be that, even though us HT fanatics insist upon 6500 K for accurate color, a higher setting is more appealing to the average joe --the same reason that TVs in the store displays are always set for higher brightness and color. They catch the eye, and a dealer who just uses the settings as it comes out of the box for a demo will get a picture that might have a little more "punch" than would be allowed by an HT purist.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.