AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for a new screen for my 12K, I called Vutec to arrange a demo. They are located in Pompano Bch, not too far from my house. I was graciously invited by the technical sales manager, Spencer Mallinson to come by with my projector and demo it on the SS. They have a 100" diag. screen set up in a theater-type room. This was actually their electrical masking screen. They also had models of the other screens they sell on the side walls, including the picture frame plasma-hiding device as well.

I set up my 12k about 18 feet back on a table and we viewed several DVD movies that I brought for the demo (Finding Nemo, Pirates, LOTR TT, etc.)

In addition, they had panels of a matte white screen and the firehawk that could be placed over the SS for comparison (just like in the ads).

The picture on the SS was simply stunning. I saw no hot spotting or sheen from various viewing angles. I walked around the room and far to the side and the picture remained gorgeous. I was able to get a great picture with the projector set in the HC mode even with the economy lamp setting. I enlarged the picture to simulate a 110" size which is what I have now. They PQ was also great with the projector on High Brightness, but I could see some pixel structure at 12' in this HB setting.

The SS did raise the black levels somewhat, but the whites were so much whiter and the whole picture brighter, so the result was fantastic. The gray screens looked somewhat dull, and certainly dim in the HC mode -- there was just no comparison. Even in the High brightness mode, I didn't think the picture was too bright.

My only decision now is whether to stay with the 110" or increase to the 122" size.

I guess I will be calling Jason to negotiate a deal. I just need to sell my GH screen:D

Jeff

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
122!!!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Tryg

You should know better, its really 122.50:)
Actually, that depends on the frame. If you get the deluxe frame, the actual screen dimension comes out to 120.5" due to the size of the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
At CES, VuTec said they can now make the Silverstar 60" wide by whatever length you wanted. Does anyone have any more official word on this, and if it is shipping ?

- Andy

·
Registered
935 Posts
+/- 0.03125

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks, that review really helped my screen decision! BTW, I want to mount the projector high (8.5'). Will the Silverstar still perform well under this condition?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Andy, I believe that's been true for a very long time. That said, I'm having trouble imagining why anything more than 2.35 x 60 or 141" would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Yeah 141" wide would be an eyeful wouldn't it !

With my SX21 and 24' throw distance, I can't project that wide anyway ... unless I go for an ISCO-II. 120" wide would be is plenty for me.

An AVS local has invited me over ( in truth I really invited myself over :) ) so I can try my SX21 on his SS.

- Andy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jkirk

The height of the projector should not matter too much as the screen diffuses the light more than other angular reflective screens.

Jeff

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I could be mistaken, but last time I talked to Vutec, they seem to have gotten rid of their standard 2.35 screens sizes along with some standard 16x9 sizes. That is not to say that wont make any size you want (as long as its never more than 60 high) but it wont be a standard size anymore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.