AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this yet? Just found out about it today (in Sound and Vision). Just wondering if anyone has seen it, because it would just add to the great number of options we have today (last comment is arguable).

JOE

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi,

I have heard something from a reliable source of Sharp:

1. The color wheel is 6 sections (2XRGB).

2. The comparision between Sharp's 16X9 DLP with Sony's DLP (Which DMD device is not clear, and it's the first time that I heard about Sony's DLP), Sharp looks better.

I can ask him more next week.

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
PLEASE, don't let this be another DLP fiasco...I want a bigger screen!!!

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just talked to my dealer today about this one...Harveys had a prototype at the show. Problem is the MSRP is going to be $15k...way too much imho vs. 11k for the Seleco, or $7k for the new Sony.

·
Registered
634 Posts
$15K..... You've got to be kidding!! Even if street price is ONLY $10K, they're not going to sell very many. Any other info out there on MSRP?

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Could the price difference be in the fact that this a 16x9 DLP unit instead of a 16x9 LCD?

Dan

------------------

STOP DFAST and The MPAA!!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Dan H.

I don't know but one can sure buy more than several Panamorphs for $15K! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Seriously doubt this projector will be $5 grand better than the new Sanyo 16:9 LCD!

Jaron, it's my understanding the 6 section color wheel, which will be showing up on all DLPs shortly, pretty much eliminates rainbow artifacts. When combined with superior processing like DWIN has, this should make rainbow a non-issue with most projectors.

Be interesting to see if Yamaha makes the switch to 6 section prior to introducing their new projector. At CES, it had a great picture except for rampant rainbow. It did really well with U571, a real torture test for digital projectors.

Dan Houck

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The interesting thing here is that the 0.9 chip can handle the new 6 section color wheel but the 0.7 can not. I was told by a reasonable source that both Dwin and Yamaha can impliment this change with a software upgrade.

The other interesting thing was I have heard is the new 1280x1024 (0.9) chip is priced at a much lower price and has a better contrast ratio over the 1280x720 chip. It is also apparent that the widescreen chip prevents the better uniformity of brightness from the center to the edges of the 1:33 chip.

DavidW

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

as far as I know SIM2 will also bring us a "HT300" with the 720x1280 dlp-chip in the near future. Also a special wide-angle optics and a whisper-version is announced for all SIM2 HT units. The 720x1280 resolution is specially designed for HT applications - real 16:9. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1280x1024 means 5:4 format. Therefore I doubt that there will be a HT-product using it. Also I would assume that the units shown at the CES with 720x1280 resolution - Sharp... - didn't use the finished chip for frontprojectors - which is not the same used in RPTV's. They were told to have lesser contrast.

Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.