AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Sharp 37" LC-37D43U for the bedroom entertainment center. The size of the opening in the EC is a perfect fit for this model 37" without having to cut up shelves to fit anything wider.

I've been reading about the Sharp banding issues. I've tried to do homework on this model, but not a lot of reviews are available . A couple of questions for the group:

I'm sure the HD is fine, but not all channels are HD yet. How about the SD PQ on this set ?

Is the banding issue only on the bigger sets ? has anybody had it on the smaller sets ?

What other kinds of troubles with this model can I expect ? I am aware of the usual type LCD problems, but is there something special about the Sharp ?

Calibration settings for this model ? ideas ?

I'm just a basic cable user with a DVD / VHS combo player connected. No games, no surround sound , nothing fancy.

THX from San Diego

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are a few threads on the 37" 42U and 43U sets out there. I would look for them and read up and ask questons in those threads. As far as I know, the LC-37D43U is basically band free. I've not heard of one person talking about bands with this set. I own the 42U version of this set, which is basically the same set, and it's band free. In general, most folks in those threads have been pretty happy with the set, but I have heard one or two people say that they were not happy with the set. The majority of folks though, like me, seem to be pleased with it. I bought the set to fit in an armoire and it was the perfect fit for me. The set does need to be calibrated for the best PQ- but all sets do. The SD is not bad, but this depends on the source signal. It may not be the SD of the new 747i Olevia with the realta chip, but as far as HDTV goes, I think it's on par with most others. There are some issues with a popping sound that can happen for a bit with the set and then it seems to go away (for most people anyway) as the set stretches its casing when it expands and contracts. This has happened with other LCDs as well. There are also calibration settings listed in the threads, although I think it's best to calibrate a set to your own environment with your own eyes. I use an upscaling Sony dvd player, by the way, and the pq is pretty nice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did see the threads you mentioned and ( unless I'm stupid ) I only saw posts about the bigger size sets and issues. I went thru a bunch of pages and I didn't see much on the 37" size either here or cnet or other places.

I mostly want to try to avoid any nasty surprises that jump up with a specific model. You know the kind that only happen with a model X and not XYZ.

I wanted to try to do my homework first before purchasing, so I could look in the mirror and not feel dumb for not asking the questions here first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.