Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In checking out these 15" LCD monitirs.

They seem similar except the Samsung model can display HDTV signals of 1080i, 720P, etc. with a tuner box.

The Sharp makes no such claim. I wonder if Samsung's claims are forthright?

Does anyone know if the Samsung can indeed display native HD or is it down scaled to, lets say, 640 X 480. As a matter of fact the Sharp's resolution is listed at 640 X 480. Sharp makes no HD claim.

Anyone know the skinny on the differences between these two??? Which to buy?

(They are similarly priced)

Jeff

·
Registered
260 Posts
On TechTv the Sharp and Samsung were both compared, and the Sharp has a bit better picture quality.

However the Samsung has alot more flexability.

It can do 480i/480p/720p/and 1080i, while the Sharp maxes out at 640*480..which is even below 480p(704*480).

The Samsung has a built in line doubler(not sure about the Sharp) and it can be used as a PC LCD display as well, it's native pc resolution is 1024*768.

Personally, i loved the Samsung and was ready to but one, however it's component inputs are dedicated, as one is for DTV only(480p/720p/and 1080i) and the other is DVD only(480i).

Since it is a must to connect my XBox to it..and being the Xbox somtimes uses both 480i and 480p in the same game, i just could not buy it since i would have to switch inputs every few min's(or sec's in online games).

There is another option you may want to consider, it's Sony's 17" widescreen PED for $999.

It can accept 480i/480p/720p/and 1080i as well as be used as a pc monitor and it's refresh rate is solid at 22ms. It is kinda bright however(500:1 contrast) , so i would make sure you're eyes can handle it first.

As if my eyes could handle that high brightness or if i could lower it to an acceptable range without the total image getting too dark, i would buy it ASAP.

Again i would stay away from the Sharp as it's resolution is far too low and it has little flexability.

I would consider eithier the Samsung 15" or Sony 17" PED, both seem to be the best multi use(and HDTV comp.) LCD's on the market, right now.

Good Luck,

Philip O.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't forget Samsung's Multifunciton LCD monitors. Go to www.samsungusa.com and select computer products, then monitors then LCD - Multi-function.

I have a 171MP, which has RGB for PC's, composite, S-video and component video inputs... plus RF for antenna/cable NTSC.

The older 1x0MP has no component input, but if your tuner/sat. receiver has RGB outputs, you can still use them and they are cheaper.

I read that the 171MP's component video was for HDTV only and would not work with a DVD player's component output. That was wrong. The information about other inputs might be wrong, too.

Best of luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
"I read that the 171MP's component video was for HDTV only and would not work with a DVD player's component output. That was wrong. The information about other inputs might be wrong, too. "

This is interesting as the specs itself actually made me look away from this LCD. Both the 151mp and 171mp accept component input via a extra cable, however in it's manual(on the website) it states it will not accept DVD component.

Can you're 171MP accept component DVD?

Does it accept 480p only or all 480i/480p/720p?

I may look into this LCD again if i knew i could add my PS2/and XBox via it's component input.(i'm gathering if you can add DVD component you can also add XBox/PS2 component as well).

TIA

Philip O.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipO38
Can you're 171MP accept component DVD?

Does it accept 480p only or all 480i/480p/720p?
My 171MP accepts component input from my US Samsung DVD-611 DVD player and does display a picture. The manual for the DVD player doesn't say anything about progressive picture, so I'm guessing it outputs 480i.

The manual for the 171MP says the component input will accept HDTV signals, IIRC (can't find it just now). It may not accept 480p. The display is 1280x1024 5:4 native, so I'm guessing it converts 1080i to 720p for HD signals and blows up SD to full screen. There are zoom modes, but I have no HD source to test it on.

I guess it's time for me to buy an OTA HDTV tuner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.