AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a happy owner of a Sharp LC32D41U for the last 9 months or so, but my mother in law just offered to buy the TV and warranty for basically what I paid for it. Since she likes the TV and it is free from any defects or dead pixels. Despite being really happy with the TV, my wife and I would like to upgrade to a 40-42" TV.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Sharp 42D72U or Samsung 4061 which are both around the same price. I use this with my HTPC, HDTV (using the QAM tuner), some regular DVDs and likely either an HD-DVD or BR player sometime in the future (possibly through the HTPC)...

I've read the forums and this is what I've found for some pluses and minuses on the two sets:

Sharp:

- Banding problems (although there seem to be less on more recent models)

- (slight) Very Good PQ

+ 2" bigger

Samsung:

- Pillaring and flashlighting

- HDMI handshaking problems (possibly fixed on new models)

+ (slight) Great PQ

I'm on the fence between the two sets mainly because both have some faults. Since I use my main TV with my HTPC quite a bit, I'd be really annoyed if I got a set with the HDMI handshaking issue, however the banding also sounds annoying... And since I'm ordering online returns and exchanges are a PITA. Is there any strong/weak point of these two sets that I'm missing that could tip me one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The extra 2" is always a bonus.

If I'm to make a decision based on what you have written for each set, I'd choose the Sharp over the Samsung --- one less problem for the former as opposed to the latter.

You will get minimal to no noticeable or acceptable bands or severe banding for the Sharp. I haven't noticed any on my LC-42D72U.

Besides, you're a former owner of a Sharp tv, what does your experience with it and your gut feelings tell you?.....

Perhaps you may try comparing the two sets where and if possible at a brick and mortar store because in the end, it all boils down to you and what you see, experience and like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I've tried seeing the 42D72U in store, but no B&Ms near me carry them... I did mess around with the Samsung in a store though and it looked pretty nice (after messing with the settings for a while).

Obviously I had a great experience with my previous Sharp, but no users complained about anything with that set on the boards.

So you have no complaints about your Sharp?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, this particular Sharp model isn't readily available at many b&m stores here in Canada. As a matter of fact, it is only at a store called Future Shop --- not even Best Buy carries this.

I haven't encountered any problems with this set for the 1 1/2 months that I've now had it and I hope it stays that way.

Btw, try this thread to see other people's experiences with this model:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=826682

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you recommend the picture setting for 42d72u?. We just got this set and feel that the image is too Red. Tried changing the tint but the skin color still appears reddish which makes the images look very retro. Any ideas??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts