AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving out soon and I need a cheap LCD. Right now I can get the Toshiba about $60 cheaper than the Sharp, but the Sharp is a little larger which is nice. But I am not sure if this model Sharp has had the banding issues or not. The reviews on NewEgg don't make any mention of banding though. Also do you think the 2ms difference in response time makes a big difference (6ms for the Sharp and 8ms for Toshiba)? I know response time is not a standard measurement, so there really could no difference for all I know. I play my 360 a lot and I am used to my roommates DLP. My friend had a 32" Dynex that is 8ms and the blurring is really annoying (especially playing Gears).

Anyone own either of these sets want to toss me some input? I am moving out at the end of the month, so I have a little time to decide.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am hearing a lot about crackling in the speakers on the Sharps. I have an ok surround sound, but for regular TV I generally just use the TV speakers. I have not decided if it is a deal breaker yet or not though. Still looking for some more input.

Any gamers have the Toshiba? I am really interested in the motion blur factor on that TV.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15541198

I am moving out soon and I need a cheap LCD. Right now I can get the Toshiba about $60 cheaper than the Sharp, but the Sharp is a little larger which is nice. But I am not sure if this model Sharp has had the banding issues or not. The reviews on NewEgg don't make any mention of banding though. Also do you think the 2ms difference in response time makes a big difference (6ms for the Sharp and 8ms for Toshiba)? I know response time is not a standard measurement, so there really could no difference for all I know. I play my 360 a lot and I am used to my roommates DLP. My friend had a 32" Dynex that is 8ms and the blurring is really annoying (especially playing Gears).

Anyone own either of these sets want to toss me some input? I am moving out at the end of the month, so I have a little time to decide.

I dont own either of those but I know both would be considered budget models. The sharp is not an arquos and the toshiba is not a regza. Toshiba doesnt publish their actual response times. They would probably be in the 4-6 range. My older toshiba lcd does good job with motion blurring.

The warranty on that sharp is not the best. I think it is a 3 month/1 year. Cant remember which is for parts and which is labor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe /forum/post/15545160

Toshiba doesnt publish their actual response times. They would probably be in the 4-6 range. My older toshiba lcd does good job with motion blurring.

That is something I did not know. That makes me feel a bit better about favoring the Toshiba. I am on a budget, so this is about all I can afford.

·
Registered
244 Posts
We had this Toshiba. Took it back because the picture was dark. It looks very good and sharp for sports. Not so good for movies, especially dark ones. The contrast isn't the best. It is 8ms response.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that is the price for it on Tiger Direct though. That sale ends today. If I could buy it today I would, but no can do right now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like the toshiba, over the sharp, only complainant I had with the toshiba, is its not 120hrz, other then that its a great tv. and as far as the darks go, you can adjust it to your liking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts