Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutter
Read a review on amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...Fencoding=UTF8 ) which stated that the new Sharp 45 inchers aren't truly capable of displaying 1080 because of inherent weaknesses in their electronics. Was considering the Sharps but now am concerned that the bucks will not yield a bang.
The 2006 45" Sharps will have the ability to accept 1080p sources, however, supposedly the even better upgrade will be the CR going from 800:1 to 1200:1 which seems to be a dramatic improvement. CES is next week.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutter
Read a review on amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...Fencoding=UTF8 ) which stated that the new Sharp 45 inchers aren't truly capable of displaying 1080 because of inherent weaknesses in their electronics. Was considering the Sharps but now am concerned that the bucks will not yield a bang.
Trust your eyes. I've owned the SXRD 60" and then the Panny 50PX500 and sold both and now own the 45" Sharp Piano Black model. If I had one wish it would be larger but for my viewing preferences it's my hands down choice and I learned the hard way believing that it was size that provided immersiveness and believing others opinions on this forum versus my own viewing preferences and boy was I wrong and it cost me a significant amount of money to learn that lesson and not to follow the advice of others. Regardless of what this moron says the panel displays at it's native 1080P but almost no TV's exist presently that can receive 1080P and there is NO broadcast medium for 1080P outside of HTPC - so what is he talkiing about - what are you going to input from? It simply doesn't exist.

The set will display Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and I watch 1080i everyday which is what >99% of the max available anyways and it looks friggin amazing on my panel so I don't see what the hell weakness this guy is talking about - my eyes tell me otherwise. 1080P is a temporary Holy Grail TARGET very little content exists unless you want to watch repeats of HTPC material. It's a goal and then the bar will move beyond it as the Japanese have created broadcasts/displays that far outdistance 1080P that stream at 26GB a second but 7-10 yrs away in Japan but for now enjoy the Journey 1080i can be and is amazing. What the Asians have will eventually migrate to us as we are the biggest customer base with the biggest wallets.

The SXRD was hands down in one area alone - HD Movies - but in every other area the Sharp beat it and the Panny people Rave about on this forum - I hated it because I previously was viewing a 32" Sharp for 6 months. When you go from a Sharp LCD to suddenly seeing everything reflected in your room staring back at you day/night and then the sun hitting the panel and washing out the screen for a good part of the day I grew to hate that plasma and could not wait to get it out of my house plus it's horrible whites. I'm not asserting you'll agree with me on the Sharp but I know I followed the herd mentality here and it cost me alot and came full circle back to the smaller 45" Sharp and I love it and fully plan upgrading to the new 57" Sharp within the next year or two that debuts around March in the US.

The Sharp lets me see the best PQ/Colors and flesh tones and zero glare/reflections so my focus is my viewing experience PERIOD! Believe and buy what pleases your senses and SCREW these other folks (including me if your preference differs) that want to tell you otherwise - it's your money and your eyes, no one can tell you what's best for you but YOU! Take it from someone that has owned 3 of the best panels - to my eyes the Sharp is the winner regardless of what a single reviewer says at Amazon or what the herd wants! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
Trust your eyes. I've owned the SXRD 60" and then the Panny 50PX500 and sold both and now own the 45" Sharp Piano Black model. If I had one wish it would be larger but for my viewing preferences it's my hands down choice and I learned the hard way believing that it was size that provided immersiveness and believing others opinions on this forum versus my own viewing preferences and boy was I wrong and it cost me a significant amount of money to learn that lesson and not to follow the advice of others. Regardless of what this moron says the panel displays at it's native 1080P but almost no TV's exist presently that can receive 1080P and there is NO broadcast medium for 1080P outside of HTPC - so what is he talkiing about - what are you going to input from? It simply doesn't exist.
That's basically what the reviewer said, and you still call the him a moron?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks Westa, a nice read. Now I can go back to wanting a Sharp LCD, but one I can dual use with my PC.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I will agree that you need to trust your eyes. However, I disagree strongly with Westa's assessment of the Sharp. I was able to watch the Sharp in someones home a month ago. The Panny 50" (50PHD7UY) I have smoked it in every possible way despite all efforts to calibrate it (as do the other better 50" plasmas IMHO). That Sharp owner is now a former Sharp owner. Trust your eyes but try to see things in as many stores as you can to really get a handle on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.