AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Look on google for it and it should pull up some information. Also look in the CES 2004 threads from earlier in the month and I think you can find some info there. But what I can remember from memory I think the MSRP is $10K and it should be available by Q3'04.

Does Sharp post their press releases on their website? If so, then you might try looking there and seeing if they said anything about it.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
I think it is great that thers finally going to be an alternative to 40ich and bigger flat TVs.This is something I hope drives down prices on both technologies.I have a RP-LCD and I had a plasma.These technologies are very similar.I really can't tell the difference between them both.it just that the RP-LCD was $4,000 HDTV and a plasma was $8,000 HDTV.Its just too far out of whack.Get the 50inch plasma HD down to $4,000 and I'm back in.Its just too high right now.I fear that both of these technologies will never reach the prices necessary to reach large amounts of the population.yeah you could get a GATEWAY plasma but will that show off the technology the right way.So will prices every get down to a reasonable price?We'll see!J.H.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
J.H. -- These are not going to drive prices down on anything for awhile. For their size, all the big LCDs are going be very pricey in 2004 and perhaps even 2005.

At some point, they may pressure competing technologies, but it doesn't seem likely to happen very soon. :(

Mark

·
Registered
639 Posts
How reliable has Sharp been on bringing products to market in a timely manner? Does 3Q 04 mean July 04, October 04 or 05 in all likelihood?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I saw the Sharp 37 inch and 45 inch LCD at CES. They were awesome. I would purchase the 37 inch it would be large enough and less expensive. Greg

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
StockInv... I would tend to think based on Sharp's past that you are looking at July-September. If someone had pinned them down, they might have already gotten an accurate month.

Of course, the initial supply will be pretty small and the fact there are multiple models (with and without media box) will make logistics a bit more challenging. But Sharp is usually more action, less talk; unlike it's LCD brethren from Korea -- who are very good at press releases, so far less so on shipping.

mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Cool, my Sony rep at CES actually was the one with the right number. :)

Not cool... $13K? Yuck! I think I'll take the 2 42" plasmas insteads and half enough left for a few lattes....

It should be a good product, however, from what I could tell.

·
Registered
639 Posts
$13,000 for a 42" LCD!!! The 37" is going for $4,300 and less. I'll bet these large LCD's depreciate faster than a Jaguar. When it comes down to it, they have to compete with plasmas, dlps, crts, rptvs, and other lcds.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
What 37" is going for that? The Sharp? I've still seen $5500 at retail, no less. Are you talking mail order?

I'm sure someone online will grey market the Sony for less than $13K.

I'm also sure the intent is to merely sell a few at this stage.

Mark

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the Sharp 45" appears to be 1920x1080. I haven't been able to confirm, but I think the Sony 42" is in the 1366x768 realm. Right?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
J.H. -- These are not going to drive prices down on anything for awhile. For their size, all the big LCDs are going be very pricey in 2004 and perhaps even 2005.

At some point, they may pressure competing technologies, but it doesn't seem likely to happen very soon. :(

Mark
Actually I read an article a month or two ago ... wall street analysts are expecting LCD prices to drop 33% this year.

Even so ... that would take a $10k 45" Sharp down to $6600 ... still too much for my sensibilities.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Originally posted by rogo

What 37" is going for that? The Sharp? I've still seen $5500 at retail, no less. Are you talking mail order?

Right, Mark, I'm talking mail order, which I personally wouldn't do.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Acura, I doubt a panel released in August at $10,000 is dropping 33%. I think those quotes are more for sizes/prices that already exist... And 33% seems somewhat unlikely, but within range of the possible. The Sharp will not, whatever it's intro'd at, fall in price after that this year -- except perhaps by 5-10%... That's the way it works.

StockInv, gotcha.

Stephen, Sharp = 1920 x 1080. Sony doesn't. The 1920 x 1080s are coming at 45" and up in the LCD world... I am hoping there is an NTSC mode on one of them that windowboxes so they can do a straight 4-pixels-for-1 scaling... Hoping, but not betting on it.

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ummm, even though the retail price is $10k the street price is likely to be a bit lower due to channel discounts. It would be silly to attribute the lower price a a general decline in LCD pricing, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a 10-15% discount off list when units actually become available.

So if you start saving now you might have $8500 saved up by fall to buy one of these things ;-)

-dwx

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No one I know said there wouldn't be a 10-15% off list somewhere when it starts shipping.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A Laserland Home Theater salesperson told me $9K MSRP availability June. A Goodguys salesperson told me (without prompting) last week June as well (no price though).

What is the likelihood that it will exhibit fewer artifacts than the current models?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I saw it yesterday at Tweeter in Wilmington DE Concord Pike Store. They received two days prior. It was very very good. The edge definition was as good as my Toshiba 32. The colors were excellent.

The look of the panel is the "floating" in midair Sony look. It's the coolest panel on the market (from an interior design perspective).

I spent 45 minutes in front of it. I'll write a short overview and start a Sony 42 LCD thread. Its was listed and stickered at $12,999, $1,000 less than the Sony website MSRP.

Peterofdevon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.