AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
These TV's are so easy to work on, even a hardware upgrade would take 30 mins or less, but that is very costly for a manufacturer. But hey if they would be willing to do it, I am sure no one would mind

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
checked ours out yesterday using the 4K content it shipped with. I did not try tt with standard HD content so I can't say how well it upscales. The 4K stuff looked gorgeous -- plenty of detail, strong, natural looking color in THX mode, nice thin frame. But, I noticed that Sharp's 4K demo went with mostly bright content and avoided blacks and letterbox bars, unlike Sony's 4K demos. In between scenes, when the screen was black, I could tell that the backlight distribution was uneven -- even under bright store lights, I could tell it had a couple bright spots and the blacks didn't look as good as the Sony X900 or X850. It would seem, though, that the UD1 lacks any form of local dimming (at least from Sharp's spec page), which would put it at a disadvantage compared to offerings from LG, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, and the upcoming Panasonic, which all have some form of edge-dimmming (and LG makes one FALD 4k TV). I'd love to see the price on this go down ~$1000 and would love to see what they could do with a 70" FALD UHD Elite for a couple thousand more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the opportunity to look at the Sharp's Lc-70heUD1U with a thumb drive and I was not blown away. This is the first day this set is out on the floor at BB in Long Island City NY.. I also watch 2 BLU rays Narnia and the Dark Knight. The Narnia BD was just like a 1080p tv. The dark knight was better. I switched to the Sony 900A and the PQ was way lot better. The salesman told me that Sony had better contrast. I will wait a week before I go back and look at the sharp again. I really like the size of the tv.I also saw a line down the middle of the 4K demo. I wasn't sure if it was the thumb drive or the tv that was creating the line down the middle of the picture but when watching the BD there was no line. I also had a chance to watch the Panasonic and the pq was great, however, BB was only showing the movie Oblivion because the Panny representative did not give them a 4K demo thumb drive

·
Registered
843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos  /t/1488550/sharp-4k-anticipation-thread-lc-70ud1u-discusion/30#post_23813351

I had the opportunity to look at the Sharp's Lc-70heUD1U with a thumb drive and I was not blown away. This is the first day this set is out on the floor at BB in Long Island City NY.. I also watch 2 BLU rays Narnia and the Dark Knight. The Narnia BD was just like a 1080p tv. The dark knight was better. I switched to the Sony 900A and the PQ was way lot better. The salesman told me that Sony had better contrast. I will wait a week before I go back and look at the sharp again. I really like the size of the tv.I also saw a line down the middle of the 4K demo. I wasn't sure if it was the thumb drive or the tv that was creating the line down the middle of the picture but when watching the BD there was no line. I also had a chance to watch the Panasonic and the pq was great, however, BB was only showing the movie Oblivion because the Panny representative did not give them a 4K demo thumb drive

That Sharp has problems.

After seeing how bad the first was, I went to another store to make sure my eyes were ok. Really bad.

Most of us have bought the Sony x9.

It's amazing....nothing comes close.

Watch out for the Sony 850 without speakers...its NOT the same!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos  /t/1488550/sharp-4k-anticipation-thread-lc-70ud1u-discusion/30#post_23816002

Do U have a glare or reflection issues with your X900A

I have the x9 is in the living room which is attached to the kitchen..we have multiple spot lights coming from the ceiling. They are not visible in the tv.

There are very few tv's that do not use reflective panels.

All the samsungs have highly reflective panels...vizio too. Sharp too etc...

The picture pops out more with a reflective panel...the colors are more intense, vibrant, sensational.

The new Sony 850 4k does not have reflective panel...they made it matte. It's a disaster...the image is dead. It's matte, It misses "WOW" and Intensity.

With a reflective panel you must be careful simply do not place a light in front of the panel that is asking for trouble. Otherwise no problem

·
Registered
843 Posts

If any of you are considering the Sharp 4k, Please look at the x9 first.

Also please look at the LG 65" 4k full array led dimming.

These are by far the two best tv's out there now.

·
Registered
843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos  /t/1488550/sharp-4k-anticipation-thread-lc-70ud1u-discusion/30#post_23813351

I do not think any of these TV's accept 4k through a thumb drive.

The sonys do not

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you seen the Panasonic TCL65wt600? It's damn good picture.Today I went back to BB and played Skyfall and the upscaling was spot on. I also watched SKYFALL on the X9 and it was a tie for me. I wasn't able to watch any native 4K demo on the Panny because BB did not have a feed. Today TECHRADAR( aBritish website) reviewed the Panny and they loved it except the Speakers which they consider subpar

·
Registered
183 Posts
I watched the Sharp in my Best Buy it was in a dark room ect..I could see banding in the picture and the pop of the image just was not there.

It was to me lifeless no emotion to the picture.........

So in a nutshell stay away !!!

Tj8xp................

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp  /t/1488550/sharp-4k-anticipation-thread-lc-70ud1u-discusion/30#post_23817313

I watched the Sharp in my Best Buy it was in a dark room ect..I could see banding in the picture and the pop of the image just was not there.It was to me lifeless no emotion to the picture.........So in a nutshell stay away !!!Tj8xp................

Wow. I seen one at Paul's TV but didn't notice banding. But all they had was 4k content. I think its useless to only show 4k on these sets. As full HD will be the majority of content for awhile yet. I will go back and check it out for banding issues. I did think for a thx certified unit the color didn't seem as spot on as the Panasonic did.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I second you on the PQ quality. I was really disappointed. I did not like that elevated plastic(metal looking) stand the set sits on too. It.s overly large and elevated

·
Registered
23 Posts
So it's confirmed that this set does NOT have the Moth Eye Filter outside of Japan? If so: Anyone know how I can order one from there? (I live in Norway.)

So sick and tired of these hyped up LCDs with absolutely ridiculous glare. That applies to the Sony and Samsung 4K tvs as well, which are the only ones I've seen in person so far.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberowo  /t/1488550/sharp-4k-anticipation-thread-lc-70ud1u-discusion/30#post_23824187

So it's confirmed that this set does NOT have the Moth Eye Filter outside of Japan? If so: Anyone know how I can order one from there? (I live in Norway.)

So sick and tired of these hyped up LCDs with absolutely ridiculous glare. That applies to the Sony and Samsung 4K tvs as well, which are the only ones I've seen in person so far.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nakaden/item/10009069/

This is supposedly the Japanese version, but email and talk to them to make sure of all the details.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
So, for approximately $6,600.00 a USA buyer can get the Japanese version which has "Moth Eye" technology and what was rudely translated as " 4 double speed equivalency backlight : LED" ( i imagine that means one backlight in each corner ?), and yet no mention of HDMI 2.0 input connection ? Perhaps available soon in LCD assembly lines ?

I wonder if USA import taxes from Japan would add to that cost. I've had small home electronics shipped from Hong Kong and Seoul and never had to pay any taxation.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi folks, quite a bit of negative comments in here, though after a lot of comparison I still went ahead and got the Japan version of this (LC-70UD1), paid 570,000 yen which is about $5800. 

Main reasons: I wanted the extra 5" compared to the 65" models

I'm more sensitive to glare than to black levels, for that the moth eye panel simply blew the others away.

HDMI 2.0 upgrade guaranteed

With that out of the way, I'd agree with the comments on the backlighting, in a dark room with very dark scenes the unevenness is easy spot, in fact my specimen looks a bit worse than the ones I was looking at in stores. However, with even the slightest bit of ambient lighting in the room I don't notice it, and that's when the moth eye screen really shines. In fact, even in daylight this looks amazing, that was the deciding factor for me.

Subjectively I also thought the Sharp did a better job on upscaling than the Sony X9200A I compared with. The frame-interpolation has also come quite a long way, it's not perfect but works better than I was expecting. Especially in content with moderate amounts of movement it does make everything look like The Hobbit HFR - takes some getting used to. I may end up using it more than I would have thought.

These are just some first impressions, any questions, let me know. This model obviously isn't a straight comparison to the US model - I have not seen that one, and without the moth eye screen I'd not sure I'd have gone for this.

Anyway, it's all about compromise - I'd like to see better black levels, but this will do nicely until I get a 100" 8K OLED in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics... :)

To MCaugusto: there are a few companies shipping these abroad though they charge more to begin with. You can actually set the menus to English on Sharp, though I think they are the only ones to support that. Like all domestic electronics it runs on 100V only, so you'd most likely need a stepdown transformer. Also the software stack is obviously completely different, so forget about using the built-in tuners for anything since they are ISDB-S/T - same for the online video services - only domestic ones so forget about Netflix. As a dumb display - no issues, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well I saw one today,the 4k source was outstanding,but like all Sharp TV's they loose there picture quality on any slight viewing angle.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts