AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea that I would like to hear some comments on from Hi Power owners.

My room is 12 x 20 x 7' 8" tall. The Sharp 9000 will be ceiling mounted 16' from the screen. The lens will be approx 10" from the ceiling. Seating distance will be approx 16' with eye level being approx 42". The walls will be medium gray with the ceiling and front wall being dark grey. 100% light control.

My idea was to get 2 high power screens (model B w/CSR). one would be 16:9, 92" x 52" and the second would be 4:3, 92" x 69". I thought this way I would not have to have a masking system for the different aspect ratio's.

My questions are these;

1. Will the high power lose too much gain with the ceiling mount and what do you estimate the gain to be?

2. Since the 4:3 screen will be used primarily fro daytime sporting events and the back doors to the HT will be open to the game room allowing some ambient light, do you think the bigger 4:3 HI Power will have the gain needed since it is closer to the floor.

3. It seems to me spending $600 on 2 Hi Power screens would be alot more beneficial than buying a fixed screen with the $1200 masking system. What do you think? Good Idea or bad?

4. The Hi Power has been discussed many times with varing opinions but most favorable, Do you think this screen will ruin the black levels of the Sharp 9000?

Thanks for all your opinions in advance.

Mark

The Theater Room Contruction is almost finished! Installed the in-wall component rack last night. Getting excited!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I think with that large angle between your view to the screen and the PJ lens to the screen, you are losing most of the benefit of the Hipower. My PJ sits at about 65" high, which is slightly below center of the screen and 187" back, and eye level on my couch is about 38-40", about 125-130" back, and there is a drop off ingain there. (I have a 20HD and 120" HiPower).

IMO you'd be better off with a hi gain without the retroreflective nature.

BB

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Oh come on BB, the HiPower will still be 1.3 gain or more. You got ****-eyed making cables :)

You have a plan Mark and it's a good one. The gain wont go below unity from any angle and probably higher than unity. If you can decrease the angle i.e. eyes, screen and pj all the better. If you can't your still fine.

If Alex or Morbius give you a bunch of numbers, add 32 to them :)

Edit: That's a kick c o c k-eye'd got censored :(

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
If you try a hipower with your Sharp try this - get on a chair so your head is next to your pj and watch some video material from there. Now slowly lower yourself to your head height when sitting and observe the drop in gain. I have used the hipower with a ceiling mounted pj (only 8 feet up) a floor mounted one and a table mounted one - no matter what the setup this screen works great! I have used my pj with two gray screens and two other white screens. The hipower is my screen of choice.

Find someone in your area with a hipower and take your pj to his/her place and simulate your setup. This is a sure way to find out before you put out.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Actually Mark it doesn't seem to go below unity. Regardless what you may hear the screen is brighter even when you are looking from either side with a really white piece of paper in the center of the screen(approx unity). I've made this test as has JHouse (Joe) and Wigggles. I'm describing coming from behind the screen and peeking around the edge of it. The whitest' paper is always darker than the screen.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jimmy,

Thanks for the info! I thought for sure I would here from Joe and Wiggles on this (hoping) topic. I'm trying to gather enough info to order my screen from AVS tomorrow.

Mark

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I can't comment on the two screen option because I'm not too sure what you are trying to accomplish exactly. Not that it won't work but from a logistics standpoint I'm a little confused.

But Hi-power works well in ceiling projection.

I would also suggest that you take advantage of the 9000's lens offset control and lower your projector from your ceiling some so that it is a little closer to your viewing level. Maybe put it at 6 feet high instead of 7'+ like it sounds like you attend to do.

I've seen the 9000 on a 106" hi-power and it was very very nice.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many previous threads recommend the Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen with the 9000 how is this screen different from the HI-Power?

Mark, would very dark curtains work as masking on the sides of the image when you project a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen to avoid two different screens?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CarDawg,

Space constraints make it impossible to to go the curtain route. That is why I was thinking of using 2 screens. That way masking will not be an issue.

Mr. Wiggles,

I figured using 2 screens would eliminate the need for masking a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen with out spending a fortune for a masking system for a fixed mount. Hope that makes since and thanks for the comments.

Mark

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use a 9000 with a hi-power and sit juts in front of the lens - I guess I'm getting about the highest gain possible. On bright films its amazing, extremely bright (obviously) and but with vivid saturated colours. Also slight waves in the screen and gentle screen wafting in the a/c are invisible plus ambient light from the side of the screen is rejected. (light from behind the projector will still wash the image out though).

Blacks though aren't that dark so low contrast scenes fair less well. I have been considering the da-lite hi contrast met white but posts on the screen board make it obvious that waves/ripples in the fabric ARE very visible.

I'd have thought that ceiling mounting the projector assuming that you just lose gain and not colour saturation would have been ideal if a wide veiwing angle isn't an issue (I'd need to see this, off axis to the right I do lose saturation, though that is a lot more off axis than ceiling mounting would imply for the "money" seats).

I really want a "gray power", same retroreflective coating on a grey substrate. If da lite are reading...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.