AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Sharp is on display at Cameras Inc. (860 Mass Ave Arlington, MA). They have it set up on a Dalite 104" .80 Negative gain screen upstairs. I recently spent some time there with a few DVDs and will be buying this projector very soon.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
JTreehorn- Can you descibe more your viewing of the projector? The usual suspect please- Fan noice, DVD Player used, movies played, Light level, and badning you may have seen etc.

Spero D.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spizz,

I viewed the projector with 3 different sources.

1. 480P DVD via component outputs of an Integra THX progressive player (don't know model, I am sure its current). On this source I viewed the DVD Driven, reds and blues looked very acurrate and punchy, no banding at all. Whites at first looked very subdued but the salesperson changed a setting (don't remember which one) and the whites looked brighter without diminishing the other colors. There was no artifacting during the fast camera pans; a rock solid image.

The next DVD was Rounders a non-anamorphic disc with a lot of darker scenes. The Sharp stretched and then zoomed (sorta like a Panny RP91) in on the picture so there would be no black bars on the sides. I was amazed at the end result. Blacks looked very good and fleshtones were faithfully reproduced; again, there was no artifacting and the picture did not look blurry or distorted from the Sharps manipulation.

Last DVD was Snatch. The yellows in the menu popped from the screen and blacks looked black. I have watched this movie several times full through (On the following: KV36XBR250 Sony, Pioneer Elite Pro 510, and Pioneer Plasma PDP505HD). Fleshtones looked spot on, blacks again looked very good and the blue in the bald boxing promoters shirt was clearer and brighter then on any other display. I was very impressed.

2. HDNET off a Sony Direct TV Receiver. Not much to say but stunning, the detail and brightness were incredible. Even better then I expected.

3. Normal Direct TV off the above reciever through component inputs (I think). CNN had some artifacting but colors were vibrant and bright. I watched this in 4X3 Normal mode and stretched, the stretched really distorted the picture and caused colors to fade and blur a bit. I was plesently surprised at how good the satelite image looked, I would watch it in 4X3 though.

The showroom was on the second floor and there were dim lights on at all times plus light from the downstairs, it was still pretty dark though.

Even with all the showroom lights on the picture was still very watchable.

The projector had not been run through video essentials or any calibration per the sales staff.

I witnessed zero banding or rainbow effect.

The projector was 1ft behind and 2 ft above my head on a pedestal. I truthfully did not notice the fan noise at all initially. It is very quiet and has a nice whur. Not distracting in the least to me.

Anywho that is my brain dump,

JTreehorn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.