AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered XV-Z9000U from authorized sharp dealer in Freehold, NJ about 2 months ago & I took delivery about 3 weeks ago. I also ordered screen from same dealer as well as ceiling mount.

Three days ago HT installer ( from dealer also) came over & after installing PJ, He hooked up PJ to my Panny DVD(RP91)& satellite 6000 receiver. After turning on PJ for the first time & running for about 3-4 minutes, we saw thick white line running in the middle of screen (about 6-8 inches on 106 inch screen). We did everything possible including changing sources, changing power source, changing monster power conditioner etc. but that line persisted. We also called Sharp. Sharp said it is a defective PJ.

Now the interesting part comes. We called dealer right away. Dealer repeatedly says they will repair PJ but WILL not get a new one, because Sharp is refusing to send a new one . & they will only repair this one. I personally spoke to Everett in HIgh Def (sharp) & he said dealer can get new PJ easily. But customer can not exchange directly from sharp.

Who to believe : Dealer Or Sharp? Could any one suggest how to proceed?

I am really very confused. I will appreciate all the help.

BTW picture right OOB was great. & we ran PJ for about 1-2 hrs . We also disconnected everything & reconnected one by one. But no help.

:mad: :confused:

Jithtproject

· Registered
917 Posts
There is another forum member (mbw23air: Mike) that experienced the same thing with a TI HD1 chip, but it was with a Marantz projector. I'm not an expert, and certainly can't say that this is the case with your Sharp for sure, but it seems as though one or more rows of mirrors is not working. This is supposedly what produces the white line.

As for who is responsible, if the guy at Sharp says he'll get you a replacement, get one! I'd make as many phone calls as possible to have it happen. Worst case scenario is that you'll get that one fixed and still have a full warranty. Either way, your projector will get fixed.

Good luck to you!

· Registered
1,876 Posts
You need to get back in touch with Everett at Sharp and get him to tell you the specific contact within Sharp (name and phone #) that your dealer needs to call to get the pj exchanged. Then take the pj down to your dealer and get him to follow up IMMEDIATELY. You really should have demanded that the installer take back the bad pj with him rather than leave it with you.

This certainly qualifies as an "out of box failure" by any standard imaginable. Since it was the dealer's installer who did the setup you have a pretty good witness that it never did work properly. Your dealer has a duty to deliver a properly functioning pj or you have every reason to demand your money back if it comes to that.

· Registered
21,464 Posts
I am sure you will get a new projector but if Sharp does repair it with a new chip it will be the same either way. Before you condemn your dealer, you should note that as a May 1, Sharp eliminated its factory reps. Sharp is now directly selling to its large dealers with small dealers obtaining product at a higher price from distributors. The rep would have jumped in and got a new machine ASAP. Your dealers probably has not worked directly with the factory before on something like this.

· Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi,

My Marantz actually had 12 rows of pixels that would stick and then unstick so I don't think it is same thing. I never had a white line through my image but I believe other Marantz owners have had this same problem though. If you bought this with a US warranty you should definitely get a new one. My first Marantz had the 12 rows of stuck pixels after 5 hours and I got a new one from Japan even. Second one had a dead pixel pop up in center after 100 hours and it is in Japan for warranty service right now.

Mike

· Registered
387 Posts
If it were me, I would just have returned the projector to the dealer and asked him in passing on the way out the door if he knew of any other Sharp dealers in the area...

· Registered
151 Posts
If you paid with a credit card, return the projector to the dealer and contest it with your cc company. You have rights, use them. Hopefully your Sharp dealer is truley an authorized dealer and not a grey market dealer.

Good luck

Harleyman

· Registered
1,515 Posts
You paid a lot of money for this projector, and the dealer is getting a healthy chunk of it. I would return the projector and buy from someone else, even if it were a bit of a hassle.

If you do wish to stay with the same dealer, get both he and "Everett in HIgh Def (sharp)" on a conference call at the same time so each can hear what the other is saying. That should solve it. If you don't have a phone that can conference, the dealer probably does. I would imagine one or the other will see the light in a hurry.

Steve.

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harleyman I agree with you. Thank you all for your replies. Last time I called my dealer, he was talking to VP of Sharp. But after that I haven't heard anything from store manager regarding what transpired between VP & owner of store. I was also in favor of calling my cc company. I will see what happens tomorrow. I do not want my brand new PJ to be defective like this. And this dealer is supposed to be ' authorized dealer'. I didn't know about this forum when I ordered PJ , otherwise I would have taken different approach.

I will keep you posted.

Jithtproject

· Registered
Samsung 65" S95B QD-OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center, 2subs
687 Posts
Just wanted to say that I also vote for getting a new dealer. This type of behavior is unacceptable for a high-end establishment. Personally, I would return the projector while keeping the ceiling mount, cabling, etc. that was installed. Then, purchase the projector from someone else and mount it yourself. This dealer should not benefit at all from your sale! :mad:

· Registered
21,464 Posts
Great advice AVDOC.

All the dealer has to do is to tell the credit card company that the customer did not return all of the merchandise and the credit card company will not reverse the charge. Further, the dealer may have an enforceable no cash refund policy. The credit company will also honor that if the bill of sale so states the policy.

I guess your advice isn't that good.

The idea here is to get the poster a new machine pronto without his credit being impaired because of your advise.

My advise. Call the dealer and state he/she has had enough time to contact Sharp. Ask for the results of the call. If a new machine is not winging its way to your dealer, call the Sharp national sales manager in Atlanta. I am sure he will quickly solve the problem.

· Registered
660 Posts
Mark- lighten up. Sheesh. avdoc was trying to help and his advice is pretty good. Glad you could clarify it somewhat. However, different issuing institutions will sometimes have different policies.

What sometimes happens in these situations is that the mfr. may be willing to ship a replacement unit IF the dealer sends a p.o. for it. Then the dealer gets a credit when the bad unit is returned. Problems with this scenario:

Dealer may not want credit with mfr. tied up in replacements.

Dealer may not have enough credit left with mfr.

Dealer may be too darn cheap to support their customer.

Mfr. might be so slow to apply credits, dealer doesn't want to be stuck holding the bill for months or years.

Another possibility is that the dealer is just incompetent at handling repair/return issues. :)

· Registered
1,876 Posts
If Sharp is going from a Rep to a direct/distributor sales force I think that a little slack or at least understanding might be warranted. I've gone through several of those transitions myself with industrial manufacturers and believe me they are never very clean.

That doesn't mean that jithtproject should not press as aggressively as possible to get a NEW replacement projector or his money back.

But we ought to be mindful of the Sharp transition beford deciding for him to immediately go to another dealer. The next Sharp dealer just might be having as much trouble with Sharp as his current one. If his new channel is through a distributor the dealer MIGHT be having a problem replacing a projector that was formerly sold directly from Sharp.

· Registered
387 Posts
Hang on... he got a faulty projector. Surely the laws in the states will allow him to return the projector and cancel the entire deal if he so chooses? I'm so used to how it is over here in Scandinavia that I didn't even reflect on it; we can pretty much always return a product (if within a reasonable time frame) and cancel the entire deal.

I would never accept having a faulty product delivered and then having to return it for repairs; I would demand a product that worked out of the box, especially a high-priced item like a Sharp 9000.

The dealer is the one who has to accept the hassles of returning it to the manufacturer, not the customer! That's why we HAVE dealers, for crying out loud - we pay them money for a service.

· Registered
121 Posts
The odds are your dealer is not an authorized Sharp dealer. There is one other quite reasonable explanation. In the slow economy, many dealers have deteriorated their credit standing with manufacturers. The manufacturer actually charges the dealer right away for the replacement and will not credit the account until the defective unit is returned. Thus, if your dealer either does not have sufficient credit with Sharp or does not have the cash to pay for the replacement, you would have to repair the unit. But I guarantee that is not Sharp's policy...

Regards,

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:)

I have a great news. Finally my dealer called ( manager ). He says he has brand new PJ for me. I will go in the evening to pick up the unit. Any advice? I will let you know how the unit is. Thanks everyone.

Jay

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jithtproject
He says he has brand new PJ for me. I will go in the evening to pick up the unit. Any advice?
It's construction season now, so it might not be a bad idea to map out several alternate routes ahead of time. Be sure your car has a full tank of gas, and check the oil before starting. Are all 4 tires properly inflated? Have you checked your spare recently? Lift with your legs, not your back. Stop completely at all stop signs. Look both ways even when going through a green light, because red lights aren't walls. Keep meats frozen until you are ready to use them, and immeidately refrigerate all leftovers. Change your furnace filter at least every three months. If you spill grape juice on carpet, blot it with a towel, don't wipe. Please let us know if you need any more.

Actually, on a semi-serious note, do you have the serial number from the other projector? (Not that it should really matter, because if it's fixed, it's fixed) ie maybe on the old receipt or you started filling out a card or somethign? If so, memorize the last 3 numbers of it so you can easily and SUBTLY check to make sure he isn't blowing smoke up your ash. Overtly checking could be insulting to him if he's honest, but if you look at the side of the box and see that the last 3 numbers match, you could turn to him and curiously ask "I thought you said this was a new one?"

· Registered
3,991 Posts
And don't forget to put on a clean pair of underwear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.