AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hosting a demo of the Japanese Sharp 9000/Firehawk combo at my home in Prince Frederick (about 30 minutes outside Annapolis) this Saturday the 25th at 1pm. Several other forum members are attending. There will be plenty of pizza and beer. In addition there will be the following projectors to compare with the Sharp on a 100" Firehawk screen:

*Sony 11HT
*Optoma 55
*SE Cinema 13HD
*NEC LT 150Z

We will also be comparing the Lexicon MC12 to the Outlaw 950.

It would be really great if anyone in the DC/Baltimore /NVA area had either the Marantz VP 12 or the Seleco HT300.

Anyone interested in attending send me a PM for directions and further details. Feel free to post comments to keep this thread on the front page.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Geez I wish I could attend this! Sounds like it will be great. Best of luck with the "shootout."

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I will be bringing my Panamorph and ISCO II to this event.

I might also bring my UP1100-T if everyone promises not to laugh at the dust blob now gathering at the bottom. :) I ran out of canned air...

Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Just wanted to thanks John for hosting us at his house. The Firehawk/9000 combo is "verrra niiice".

It was good to see a variety of projectors on the Firehawk and it performed well...it even made my projector look pretty decent. :)

It was also good to see many of the local forum members there and meet them.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
53 Posts
John,

Would be very interested if you (and the other participants) can post reviews on the shootout.

Specifically, head to head comparison between the Optoma H55 vs the Sharp Z9000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I second the vote for reviews of the shootout. It seems opportunities to compare several projectors under somewhat similar conditions are hard to come by, so it will be great to hear how this shootout turned out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
This sounds like a great shootout! I'm in the market for a new pre/pro and the 950 is currently at the top of my list. Although I'm sure the MC-12 will win the battle, the 950 should put up a good fight. I can't wait to read the results!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
hey where's the info.....the shootout was days ago...this is the internet where info travels quickly...somebody start a typin....

JOhn

·
Registered
935 Posts
Another vote for posting up reviews. I'm sorry I missed the event. My daughter (lives with mom in NJ) was visting this weekend so I had to pass. I would however like to host a similiar event over my house in the near future. I'll post a new message to gage interest.

The Bomber

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Keep me in mind if you decide to host a PJ shootout. I don't own one but am in the information-gathering phase and would love to be a part of the festivities if I'm available. I was sorry I was unable to attend this past weekend's shootout.

Besides PJs, I'm also anxious to hear people's opinions of the MC-12 from this past weekend's shootout. Any attendees have any thoughts?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just wanted to cast another vote for results of the H55 vs. 9000 shootout. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avdoc
Just wanted to cast another vote for results of the H55 vs. 9000 shootout. Anyone?
Hmmm...I believe that the H55 was a no show. I got there a little late but I think I saw all the projectors that made it. I don't recall the Sony being there either.

First up was the 9000, followed by the 13HD, then the LT150 and finally my aging UP1100-T. The LT150 looked pretty decent given the price point...the Firehawk seemed to make all of the projectors look good. In particular the LT150 looked very smooth. My projector looked pretty decent as well despite the somewhat precarious setup in the center seat (well, once the 9000 was turned off :) ).

The ISCO or Panamorph pulls the budget projectors up into the reasonable range tho' there's no contest between the 9000 and the LT150/Plus units in terms of brightness and clarity. I did see some motion artifacts on the 9000 but I attribute it to the increased brightness (I'm not prone to seeing these...never noticed them at home...in fact what I saw could be something else entirely). Oddly I saw no rainbows on any of the DLPs there and I know I can see rainbows on my projector on my DaLite Pearlescent.

The Firehawk looked good even with a little ambient. The room treatments were top notch and added a lot to the presentation.

The Sharp and 13HD were driven by a panny DVD player (RP91?). The LT and Plus were on a HTPC. We did try the Sharp on the HTPC and the differences were fairly minimal. The caveat being that the HTPC was using an older version of WinDVD rather than one of the preferred players (TT, etc). The HTPC was one built by AVS.

Movies used were Fast and the Furious, Dinosaurs and Behind Enemy Lines. Since I was running really late, I forgot my reference discs (5th element, etc).

I can't say we did any really critical viewing on anything other than the Sharp. I think for a lot of us it was the first time seeing the 9000 on the Firehawk so most of the attention was spent on that. Plus the other projectors were relatively well known beasts. Other owners of the 9000 commented that it looked a lot better on the Firehawk.

I'd like to provide more but it was my first time seeing Behind Enemy Lines and Dinosaurs so I wasn't too familiar with the scenes used. I thought I saw posterization on the Sharp in the explosion where the fuel tank hits the concrete tunnel entrance (or whatever) in the missile scene but dunno if that's just the DVD. I looked for it in the other projectors but got distracted so didn't quite catch it again.

Folks thought that the HD13 showed very well. I'm not a good one to comment since I find screendoor to be too distracting and it was shown tightly focused (plus I was up close in the front row). The image and color looked great.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was at the shootout as well. Nigel pretty much hit it on the mark with his comments. I just wanted to comment that the Firehawk/Sharp combo has got to be tough to beat. I have seen it at abigpicture's place and now at longshot's place and both times it looked amazing. The scary thing is that at longshot's place he said he literally just took it out of the box and plugged it in. No adjustments of any kind were made! The blacks were very dark, the colors looked great and I have yet to see any artifacts on this machine. I primarily wanted to see the setup again because I wanted to be sure that I don't suffer from rainbows, eye strain, etc with a decently long viewing. Now I am completely sure that the Sharp/Firehawk combo is a winner. I will second Nigel's comments that the other projectors shown looked nice as well. If I hadn't just seen the Sharp, they would be very attractive. The Firehawk is a key ingredient as well.

Anyway, probably not that informative, but since I was there I thought I would say a few things...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also was there (Rodrigo) and agree with both of you. Indeed the H55 was not there! I'll try to give the projectors present some kind of score:

1- Sharp Z9000 + RP91 and HTPC, ceiling mounted - (9,0) Excelent projector, quiet, great brightness, contrast and colors. Very minor artifacts. Very little benefit from HTPC (3-5% maximum). Easy to use and setup.

2- LT150 + HTPC + ISCOII + HOYA filter + Hushbox, coffe table mounted -(8,0) Good little projector, almost silent due to fire safe hushbox, colors a tad off due to lack of calibration after adding filter and Grey screen, not as bright as the Z9000 but definitely great contrast. Very film like most said! Few rainbows. Some pincushioning added by the ISCOII (no masking was used). The setup is not trivial due to the number of components introduced.

3- 13HD + RP91, ceiling mounted - (7,0) Good projector. quiet, maybe too bright for my taste, good contrast and colors. Distracting screendoor (I'm sensitive!) need some defocusing. Easy to use and setup.

4- UP1100-T + HTPC + ISCOII and Panamorph, coffe table mounted - (6,5) Good projector. not as quiet but still acceptable, good brightness, contrast but colors were way off (lacking reds mostly). Few rainbows. Again not very easy to setup. Could not compare th use of Panamorph against ISCOII because the image size created was way different.

I want to thank you John for being so kind to all of us and putting this shootout together. You have a very nice theather, good job!

Rodrigo Braga

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the informative projector comparisons! Did you spend any time on the audio side comparing the Lex MC-12 to the Outlaw 950?

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Too bad the Lex was a no show -- did you audition the 950? Impressions?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to thank all the forum members who made it to my place last Saturday. It is great to be able to put a face with a tag line.

Unfortunately the Optoma 55 and the Lex MC12/Outlaw 950 combo where no shows. It was great to see the reaction of everyone who has not seen the Firehawk. It is truly an amazing product. I was very impressed with Rodrigos LT 150 and self made hushbox. That little pj throws one hell of an impressive picture with the ISCO II lens.

The SE 13 HD had very good colors but the screen door was clearly visible at 14' seating distance. When we hooked the 13HD to my Zenith 1080 DTVHD receiver the picture was noticeably softer from HDNet versus my 9000. Of course my opinion is very biased.

The star of the show was unquestinably the 9000. I've said several times how thrilled I am with this projector. Paired with the Firehawk it is incredible. It's a shame there was no Marantz VP12 or Seleco HT 300 to compare. For those who complain about the black levels of the new HD1 DLP's (LiOn) watch the street race scene (chapter 4) of the "Fast and the Furious. It is at night and there are several shades of black that the Firehawk handles flawlessly. The other scene we watched several times is the missle chase from "Behind Enemy Lines". Lots of fast movement and varying levels of gray. There was no mention of rainbows from anyone in the room.

I'll be happy to host another demo/shootout in the future. There are many forum members in the DC/Baltimore area who did not attend that I would like to meet at future demos.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.