AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those located in the Phoenix area. Ultimate Electronics at Ray and I10 has a Sharp XV-Z9000 set-up in one of their demo rooms. They have it connected to a Yamaha progressive scan DVD player (1200). It is displaying on a Draper screen. I am guessing about 92" diag. Supposedly the Sharp was just set-up today. I am currently in the market and just happened to stop into the store to look around.

I am building a dedicated home theater in my new home scheduled for completion in mid-Nov. But, I am very new to the home theater world. I will give you my impressions, but beware they are from a newbie and from about 20-30 minutes of view time of a single DVD.

My only real video experience to date has been a 36" direct view or LCD projectors at business meetings. I was very impressed with the picture the Sharp displayed. Colors were outstanding. Text and detail images were crisp, not nearly as soft as I was expecting for a projector. I hear much about the poor black levels of digital projectors, the Sharp appeared to have very good black levels. Overall I would be very happy with this projector in my new home theater.

I talked to one of the sales staff briefly. He was more interested in selling me a unit than answering my questions. Seems they have several in stock. Their list price is $9999, but with some short negotiation he quickly went to $8000. The ceiling mount which I will need he quoted at $249, but indicated he could go a little lower.

I am hoping to go back this weekend to do some more viewing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will follow-up on the bulb replacement. Other item I forgot to mention is that they also have a Sony 11HT available in the same room. I tried to do a comparison but unfortunately it needed calibration, the screen was mostly red.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
jeffb,

For similar units, I suggest you look at the new Seleco HT300, the new Marantz; look at the much cheaper NEC 150 and Infocus 530; Infocus has a new HT machine (apparently the LP110) being announced next week.

My guess is that the Seleco HT300 will be the best of the bunch, and that the NEC LT150 is the value leader.

You owe it to yourself to comparison shop and look at things carefully. I have seen the Sharp and was impressed but think more research is merited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rlsmith -

Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely interested seeing both the Seleco and Marantz. Not sure if I have the patience to wait for either. I saw the Seleco 200DM briefly and was also impressed, but believe I prefer the Sharp. I have read a number of the posts on the LT150. Never seen one, but from what I have read the LT150 appears to require additional set-up and add-ons to get looking at the same level as the Sharp, Seleco, etc. I am looking for a low maintenance projector that I can set-up and have looking great right out of box.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
I am looking for a low maintenance projector that I can set-up and have looking great right out of box.
Jeff I agree fully. That is why the Sharp XV-Z9000 is at the top of my very short list.

Spero D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have narrowed the purchase to Sharp 9000 or LP530. Any other dealers in Az?? Since Sharp has discont. internet sales, price has become an issue.

Infocus might be another option and is much cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.