AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello George,

The best results you'll get from the Sharp 9000 are with a HTPC going via Input 5 (VGA) with a [email protected] 60Hz signal. It's the only way to get a picture without any overscan.

If you choose a dvd-player, get a progressiv player. You'll have overscan on Input 1+2 but the picture is better than having the Sharp do the deinterlacing.

Pay attention to get a dvd-player without chroma bug! I think the Panasonic models don't have the CB.

One option might be the following but I'm not sure if it works.

Hopefully other, more knowledgeable members of this forum will add their thoughts....

If you use a Bravo D1 dvd-player with DVI (without HDCP), you could use the DVI output with a 720p signal and go to the VGA Input 5 of the Sharp.Use a (DVI -> VGA) cable. Obviously you wouldn't have a pure digital path but the deinterlacing and scaling is done in the dvd-player and therefore the Sharp 9000 only has to display the signal. If this works out, you'd have a overscan free picture.

It's just an idea and there might be something I have overlooked but it could be a good solution if it works. Maybe someone has already tried this ?

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Wasn't aware of a DVI->VGA cable. How can the cable convert from digital to analog? Is there really such a device?

My friend is using the Panny RP91 (480P) with the Sharp 9000 and (at least with film-based material) the results are spectacular. In fact, they are so good the thought of messing with HTPC seems hard to justify...though having not seen what improvement it might bring I can't say for certain.

-dave

·
Registered
581 Posts
@DaVid

Maybe it's my lack of understanding. Can the D1 output a 720p signal over it's DVI in "analog" mode ? Obviously if it only passes on the signal digital, it won't work with the Sharp 9000's VGA input.

I thought I'd might be able to output a 1280x720 analog signal. The benefit I see (if possible), is the player doing the deinterlacing and scaling and the Sharp only displaying the signal, resulting in no overscan and probably a "cleaner" image.

Regards,

Anthony

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Momitsu v880 does pass an analog signal thru the

DVI port you need a DVI to VGA adaptor I think it is

the only player with both analog (i.e.like a HTPC)

and digital output.

I use one into my old davis projector the best picture

i have seen on the davis so far.

Search in dvd players for momitsu the early players

had a lot of probs mine is fine.

The build quality is poor but the PQ is very good analog

Digital into a DVI capable projector it is nothing short

of MINDBLOWING!

I have no connection with momitsu I am just shocked

that a $300 player beats a $1500 (my other player)

hands down

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Anthony,

I'm pretty sure that the Bravo only does analog via it's dedicated component outputs...and the results are generally below-par and everyone suggests *NOT* using them.

I think it's digital-only via DVI with the Bravo.

dave :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
George:

I'd forget the VGA input and stick with one of the component inputs (#1 or #2). I've tried various ways to use the VGA input and bypass the internal scaler, although I'll admit I've not thought of a DVI to VGA conversion. I've also tried many different DVD players with the 9000.

Bottom line, the internal scaler is pretty good on the Sharp 9000. There are just too many other variables when adding an outboard scaler (I've tried Focus Enhancments, Lumagen and Iscan Pro). Sometimes the picture is better, most times not and a lot more complicated to set up, operate and enjoy on a day to day basis.

My advice is to find a used Panasonic RP82, XP30/XP50 or a Denon 1600 and run in progressive mode into the 9000. My family, myself and guests are continually amazed at the quality of DVD production with this setup. Likewise, HDTV (Cox cable with Motorol 5100 decoder) is absolutely stunning thru the component input on the Sharp 9000. Yes, there is a little edge enhancement that is accentuated by the Sharps internal scaler, but on good material and with proper sharpness adjustment you will hardly ever notice it.

I've had my 9000 for > 1.5 years now and have had a couple of HD2 chip machines in my system as well (including the Sharp 10000). The Sharp 9000 is bettered some by the newer units, but most non AVS types wouldn't notice the difference without a direct comparison. I spent my projector upgrade money on decorating, chairs, paint and accessories.

My advice is don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the Sharp 9000 out of the box with a good progressive scan DVD player and HDTV decoder.

BTW, the single biggest improvement I've made with my Sharp 9000 was replacing the bulb at 900 hours with a new one. This totally blew away any other changes that I had made to my system. I had not noticed the subtle dimming of the bulb over time. I will replace my next bulb sooner.

Good luck.

mooneycj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.