AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to re-hash this topic as I see it has been covered across a number of other posts but.. I live in Australia but travel to Japan fairly regularly so I would be crazy not to take advantage of the great pricing (even given the added language and warranty issues) to purchase a projector there. Here is my problem, my DVD collection is 95% NTSC, all DTV transmissions are PAL. Now given what I have read about the problems with the Sharp 9000 handling PAL signals should I go for the "safer" option and compromise on the picture quality? So the balance sheet for buying in Japan is:

Sony 11HT

For: Much cheaper than the 9000

Can handle PAL effectively

Against: Chance of dead pixels

Picture quality may not be as good (debatable issue I know)

Sharp 9000

For: No chance of dead pixels

Better image

Against: Harder to get

More expensive

Handling of PAL Signals

So what do you reckon, In my shoes if would you go for the Sharp and find a work around for the PAL problems or stick with the Sony?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't seen the Sharp in action but I have seen the 11HT. What sort of problems would the Sharp have in displaying PAL video? I am going to the US to visit mum soon and I'm seriously considering mail ordering a projector. The LT 150 seems pretty popular but I would really like one with native 16:9. Have you considered the Sanyo PLV 60HT?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it has a problem with all PAL signal types just with some as mentioned in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/009100.html. But as I will be using it with a progressive scan DVD player I thought it may be a problem. Haven't seen enough overwhelming positive feedback on the PLV 60 to consider it even though it is pretty good as uses the Sony LCD panels as I understand.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The XV-Z9000 "E" version is said to be released in November and it will address all PAL issues. The Sony is IMHO only an alternative, if money counts. I' ve seen the Sharp in June the first time and now waiting, waiting... . But it is worth the time!!!

Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.