AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after a thread regarding the state of depreciation on digital projectors, I thought it would be interesting to find out what current Sharp 9000 owners feel is too much depreciate in a resale environment.

So, let's assume you are planning on reselling your current 9000 in favor of a Sharp HD2 offering. How much depreciation is too much to bother selling your current Sharp HD1 projector?

We are talking about depreciation from your purchase price and not the list price! Also, we are assuming NOTHING is wrong with your 9000 to warrnt the resale activity (i.e. the only reason why you would be considering resale is because of the HD2 DLP).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Over what time frame? 'Driving it off the lot, then returning it', 1 year, 2 years, 5 years?

I assume by the time I replace mine it will be closer to 100% depreciation. Is that too much? No, I'd rather deal with that over some number of years than keep watching on my 27" set.

-Step

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, sorry. The discussion in the other thread was pretty much rounded on one year (12 months).

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Albeit it is too soon to tell where the poll is gonna go, of the six voters thus far some are willing to lose a healthy amount after one year's time. Dividing that amount by 12 yields what maybe you should look for in a long-term rental of that projector. A 40% depreciation on a $10K projector is $4000 in 12 months, which averages $333/month.

Why, that's almost a car payment (depending on what you drive, of course)! :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since I bought the Sharp 9000 Japanese model for much less than I would have had to pay domestically, I expect very little depreciation. I probably will be able to sell it for about $4,000. Paid $4800.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Andy, you stated my entiry point!
And the converse is that if you paid anything near US MSRP you probably couldn't move it for anything more than $4K. There simply wont be too many interested parties for 9000s if new "midrange" HD2 boxes are in the $6K range US MSRP, $5.5K street, $3-4K grey/import market and offer comparable performance.

In fact $4K might be a stretch in the AVS market forum depending on how much projectors improve in the next year, year and a half. Now isn't a great time to buy into the higher end of the projector market. You'll get a little more in the general market (EBay etc) because you're more likely to bump into a less informed buyer.

Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.