Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks:

I have been looking to upgrade my projector for the past couple of months, and I believe I have settled on the Sharp 9000.

The price difference (especially here in Canada) makes it at least worth considering Price Japan for the purchase. I have read many positive reviews here of purchases from Price Japan. Does anyone know of any negative experiences from dealing with these folks...? Obviously, the thought of wiring such a large amount of money is worthy of worry... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am presently using a 4x3 DaLite screen and I'm going to upgrade the screen with the new Sharp purchase to a 16x9 fixed screen. Has there been a definitive choice as to the best screen match with this projector...? What are the opinions also regarding optimal screen size. BTW, if it helps my HT is 14x28. Placement on the ceiling for the PJ is flexible and light can be 100% controlled.

Lastly, my present DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-05 -- non progressive. With this pj, is it advisable to upgrade to a progressive and or 3-2 pulldown? Usage will be 90% DVD, 10% cable/satellite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Herb Kane.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Herb - do a search, a lot of this has been talked about before.

1-You can go with a Grayhawk or Firehawk, both good choices. Or one of the Da-lite or Draper gray screens, though I don't know how good they are. KBK Screen Goo is supposed to be good also, but is more a DIY thing.

2-The consensus on the forum is that for the Sharp, a good progressive DVD player will be noticeably better than an interlaced player because the Sharp's internal de-interlacing is not so good. Even better is an HTPC to also avoid the Sharp's internal scaler and thus avoid scaling artifacts. Or if you have money to burn, a Faroudja NRS instead of the HTPC.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Herb,

If you're going to purchase sideways, why not get the Marantz instead of the Sharp? You could use your existing player in interlaced mode and take advantage of the Faroudja technology built-in to the Marantz. Pair it up to a FireHawk and you'll be in video heaven.

Just a thought before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the exact system you are proposing. A Pioneer DV-05, Sharp 9000 and a 92" diagonal 16x9 Firehawk.

I have had a Panasonic RP56, RP91, and a Pioneer 47A hooked up instead of the DV-05. The differences are not that pronounced - I've kept the DV-05 in the system for now. And I disagree that the internal de-interlacer of the Sharp 9000 is bad. I occasionally see "jaggies," mostly on DVD menus while in "film mode" on the Sharp. Movies themselves are excellent. There are some things I like better about the DV-05 than the other players. See the thread "DVD players, image ghosting and Sharp 9000" in the DVD Hardware forum for more info.

Corey J.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I agree with Corey - the de-interlacer on the Sharp is quite good. Just like he said, jaggies only show up when viewing video material and the Sharp is in film mode.

I just upgraded my DVD player because my existing DVD player us a 4 year old low end model that had problems. The $190 I spent upgrading the DVD player eliminated most of the jaggies from video sources and I now rarely see any de-interlacing problems when I watch a DVD.

·
Registered
449 Posts
After much research, I settled on the Sharp 9000, a Panasonic RP56 progressive scan DVD player, and a 16:9 110" Stewart Firehawk screen.

I replaced my Toshiba interlaced DVD player after doing comparison tests. A progressive player looked better to me. The RP56 was the best reasonably priced progressive scan DVD player on the market at the time. I think I bought it for $220. It might even be cheaper now. I haven't spent any time in the "DVD Hardware" forum since. Maybe there's a better one out now.

With a larger screen, the Grayhawk will be too dim. The Firehawk was designed specifically for the new crop of DLP projectors, which are not as bright as their LCD counterparts. I've had a Da-Lite gray screen (Cinema Vision) and it was good, but the Firehawk is better -- deeper blacks, better contrast, deeper colors.

I wouldn't get anything bigger than 110". The Sharp isn't that bright.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a Sharp Z9000 (**********) that I'm watching on my new Firehawk courtesy of AVSforum. I'm very happy!!!! I'm using a Pioneer DV-37 DVD player that still looks pretty good to my eyes.

You can't go wrong with the Z9000/Firehawk combo ;-)

Regards,

Newjack

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had my Sharp 9000u since the first of the year, don't own a dvd yet. Get one and enjoy it, I bought mine from a local dealer? I watch as much HD off my 4DTV system, HBO and Showtime look good , as do the others. I watch the 4x3 on my Da-lite, and when viewing 16x9 , I raise the screen and watch it on the wall ( about 9 feet wide ).

·
Registered
572 Posts
No to bash Sage/Faroudja/ Marantz or anything ... but. Check out the review of the Marantz VP-12S in the July/August of SGHT. They found that the DCDi circuit/s actually introduced lots of jaggies from all source material - even native 720p HD (old MNF football stuff) along with 1080i. The author did not recall seeing any of this from the Sharp and got a 9000 to A/B. He concluded that the Sharp scaler was actually superior to the Faroudja - something I found very surprising.

Yes, it's a fine FP. I have owned several nice Marantz boxes over the years yet I am keeping my order in for a 9000U for the following reasons this review pointed out;

- No service menu access info has been/ perhaps may ever be released to anyone. This means you need to trust that the factory nails the grayscale tracking on every box. If it drifts what are your options? They guess that Faroudja/ Sage doesn't want people to know what their menus look like.

- Short throw distance. The lens design seems to mean that the projector will have to be mounted well in front of the seating area.

- A lame user manual that does not bother to inform the owner what the 3 main picture settings are for or why you would use one over the other.

- Only 1 component input and no DVI input. The Sharp has 2 x of the former and also lacks the latter yet it wasn't just introduced on the market.

- MSRP is $1,500 > than the Sharp and dealers discount this line far less than Sharp aut?orized dealers, making the price delta even wider.

- The "Manufacturers' Comments" to the article borders on being snobbish. They insist that the reason you see more artifacts via the DCDi is because the FP is resolving a superior image. Exqueeze me?!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
- The "Manufacturers' Comments" to the article borders on being snobbish. They insist that the reason you see more artifacts via the DCDi is because the FP is resolving a superior image. Exqueeze me?!
Curtis thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll have to buy the mag and read the review and comments.

Spero D.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.... please keep em comin'.

It seems as though the Firehawk is the screen of choice for the Sharp....

There has been a lot of talk on the new Marantz and Alan has mentioned the new (or soon to be released) Dwin. Is it the consensus of the members here that the Marantz outperforms the Sharp...? In asking this, I must add that the Sharp is in and around my comfort zone, money wise. So if it does outperform, are the differences subtle for the extra asking price...? Also, are there any other PJ's out there that perform AS WELL for less money. As I said earlier, 90% will be DVD viewing and the remainder cable/satellite. I spent much of last week viewing various PJ's (Sony 10 & 11, Piano both versions, Panasonic AE100, the new Phillips and an Optoma -- sorry can't remember the model#) in my area with the Sharp being, far and away, the leader.

Again, your help is appreciated.

Herb.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Herb,

I love my 9000 - got it mid-November, so that's about 7 months of experience. My HT page at http://www.stepniczka.com/theater.html shows the setup. I have absolutely no regrets- the picture is phenomenal, it's great for movies as well as games. :)

The reviews of all of the HD1 models have been interesting- I don't think you'll find one that's perfect, but also don't think you'll find one that will disappoint you. (OK, unless you're LiOn. Sorry, LiOn! ;) )

I've see the Firehawk/9000 combo, and it really is outstanding. Firehawk does sound like the way to go if you can.

The digital projectors for less all pretty much are either lower resolution, or are LCD which has other imperfections. Some people are oblivious to any rainbow on the new units (like me), but are annoyed by the LCD screen door and 'grayer' black level. A matter of personal preference in the end, though- if screen door isn't a problem for you, you can probably save a bit over the HD1 DLPs. (Sony ???11HT and Sanyo PLV-60, I think.) I (and particularly my wife) saw the screen door and ended up with the DLP.

Curtis,

The other possible Marantz issue seems to be no fine-sync on the VGA signal, which means you can't quite perfectly tune in the computer signal when you're going for pixel-perfection. At least that's what I've read, which may or may not be an issue for people.

The perfect picture issue - yeah, I think that standard TV looks fairly bad on my 9000 since it's so big on the screen, it would surely irritate me if DVD looked that way because of 'superior imaging'. Let me add, none of the other HD1 sets were out when I got my 9000, and I haven't seen the others in person- maybe the Marantz reviewed was just a bad unit or something... my guess when reading it was that maybe it was the progressive out from the DVD player instead of interlaced, though I think the review said it happened with both interlaced and progressive...

Even so, I'll bet _any_ of these units look great. It was such an improvement over our old 50" set...

- Step

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.