AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am about to become a projector addict, formerly and presently a plasma addict. I am looking into purchasing a Japanese or American 9000 and have some questions regarding the rear panel.

I am aware that the japanese version has a japanese connection that replaces one of the component inputs on the US version. I am unclear if this is 3 component cables, 5 RGB cables or both. The dealer said it was 3 component cables only and my photos show a H & V along side of the RGB, indicating 5 inputs. Let me know if I can use 5 cables or just 3.

The other question is the D-sub connection. Do any of you find the D-sub to be inferior or superior to the 5 BNC's? I am leaving the composite and S video out of the question, I would never use those anyway.

Thanks again, looking forward to contributing soon! Eric

·
Registered
210 Posts
The both can accept five cables on the us version.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For me S-Video is proving to be much better than expected.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are looking to bypass the internal scaler, you will have to use the D-sub connection. What I did was run my full 5 wire Gepco (40 feet) cable from my PD-1000 right to the back of the Sharp, and then use a very short (about 9 inch piece) Wireworld 5 wire to D-sub adapter to the rear of the 9000. This gives me the best picture. Also, the rear of the Sharp uses RCAs and not BNCs. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gladiator: Are you suggesting that the only way to bypass the internal scaler is by using the D Sub? By using 5 BNC's from a scaler I will still have to go thru the Sharps internal scaler? That's a new one to me and i hope you are incorect or I am mistaken. Please do elaborate and let me know if I can run RGB from a scaler at 1280x720 and completely bypass the sharps internal scaler. Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The only input on the 9000 that bypasses the internal scaler is Input #5- D-sub. Read all about it here . You have to make sure you buy a projector with the latest firmware to bypass the internal scaler. I had to send mine into Sharp for a firmware upgrade. The latest models should bypass the internal scaler. Input 5 looks terrific. Do a search using the phrase "pixel perfection" and you will see many threads on the Sharp internal scaler issue.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't forget to do a "filter" and "service menu" search for the 9000 as well. You have a lot to catch up on coming over from the plasma and video processor forum.:D

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee
Greetings, I am about to become a projector addict, formerly and presently a plasma addict. I am looking into purchasing a Japanese or American...

Eric
Well the Plasma Forum's loss will be the $5000-and-Up Digital Projector Forum's gain, that's for sure. (Although, with the price of the Japanese Z9000 being what it is, you barely make the pricing grade; indeed, had you ordered your 9000 a month or so ago, you'd be in the sub-$5K group. The shame...)

But, I wouldn't give up that fabulous Pioneer 50 incher if I were you. I think you'll find that you'll miss it's brightness and picture quality, daytime useability, and day-to-day practicality. I'd keep it if I were you and supplement your viewing by adding the Sharp for movies. Like you, I just ordered a DLP digital projector -- but my 503CMX stays!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.