AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just added Time Warner Hi Def and I'm having trouble with scaling the picture properly.

I'm running through the passthrough of a 1280x720 Faroudja NRS so that's not affecting it. The image from HBOHDTV fills my 16x9 screen but it shouldn't as the movie is obviously stretched vertically. Sharp image info reads 1280 x 1024!! Since I'm running through input five there shouldn't be any scaling going on there either.

The resize button allows for two option: Normal or Dot by Dot. Normal puts out something close to 4x3 and Dot by Dot gets me to 16x9. Neither are correct.

Also, is it normal to have to change brightness, contrast and rgb settings a great deal when switching between sources? I've just been watching dvd till now.

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
77 Posts
I cannot comment on the Faroudja NRS since I do not have one.

Have you tried to resync the Sharp 9000 - is this option enabled? Your firmware should allow you to map dot for dot.

"I'm running through the pass-through of a 1280x720 Faroudja NRS so that's not affecting it."

Have you tried hooking it up directly?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My current collection of cables prevents me from going direct. Cable run in walls and terminated for what I was told I would need, hah!

If someone out there has a similar setup could you please tell me if your signal info from the 9000 reports 1280 x 1024 and if not, what? Also, are you going through the NRS passthrough? It's the only way I can get an image but as I said, it is not mapping correctly.

Thanks much, Richard

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hi Richard,

I'm not sure about your firmware version, but there were certainly versions of the Sharp that wouldn't accept 1280x720 (p) on the RGB input. That could be the problem.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Only familiar with the Hd cable aspect, myself. I'm using my Time Warner Cable SA2000HD 3-wire component outputs in a CRT-based RPTV.

So, as a starting point, presume you're using your SA2000HD's 5-wire RGBHV option, which requires shifting an internal jumper on the output jacks from 3-wire out (YPrPb) to 5-wire (RGBHV). The 2000HD's RGBHV is needed for a VGA input.

An HDTV signal from HBO on converter channel 701 would be delivering an interlaced 1920 X 1080 16:9 signal (RGBHV), assuming HBO is running such a HDTV movie at the time. The signal could be HBO's other formats, such as upconverted for a series (4:3). Also, the 2000HD takes all the standard channels and upconverts them to 1080i, producing fuzzy, weak-color images on most displays.

Reads like you planned to use the Faroudja to bypass the built-in scaler, using the computer input, as did Greg Rogers in his detailed Jan. 2002 Widescreen Review write-up, even though you're now bypassing the Faroudja. He used a DVP-3000 for a 720p input, and suggested a NRS for similar input with less cost.

Here's an interesting quote from Rogers' piece: "The XV-Z9000 [computer] input does not work well with a 1080i signal, so you shouldn't pass it through an external scaler. The computer input senses 1080i as a 1280 X 1024 computer format." He then outlines the problems with dot-by-dot and normal modes, and suggests using component video inputs 1 or 2 instead, which accepts 3-wire component (YPrPb).

Perhaps you need to convert your SA2000HD back to standard 3-wire output and use one of the 9000's YPrPb inputs. -- John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Richard, the firmware you have "Z902220" should accept 1280x720 (p) on the RGB input. I have a slightly older firmware that works with 1280x720 (p). I will also try John's note that 1080i signal senses it as a 1280 X 1024 computer format and see what happens.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses but sadly, no solution through Input 5 yet.

John, I am using a five wire configuration which only works correctly on Inputs 1 or 2. The quote from Roger's piece reports my situation exactly. Where can I get more info on changing jumper settings on my converter?

ICvdo, good to hear it can work, what is your signal info reporting? (Assuming you are using the computer RGB input, #5.)

I did have a vga cable run during construction. If all else fails, I am wondering if I could rewire each end to an RGBHV RCA termination? If so, I could run directly from my cable box to Input 1 and still have Input 5 for DVD from the NRS.

Again, thanks for the replies, this forum is a wonderful resource.

Richard

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
studiowest: If your D-sub connection run is longer than 10 feet you may need a signal booster as the NR was not designed to output RGB (d-sub) for lengths longet than 3 meters.

How long is your run?

Another way to test is to bring the NR right up to the projector with a short cable and see if it works from 1 meter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ericbee, my d-sub run is at least twentyfive, maybe thirty, feet. I've not seen any problems from the NRS when sending 1280x720 dvd. It also sends the HD signal, the Sharp just isn't mapping it correctly. When you consider how many installations require more than a ten foot run, it's surprising not to have heard this before.

John, If I'm getting a good picture, allbeit through Input 1, with an RGBHV, wouldn't that mean that my jumpers are set for 5 or does a 3 wire jumper setting work for both but not the other way around?

Richard

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Just speculation here, Richard, since all I have is Rogers' detailed review of the 9000. Fairly sure, unless someone modified your 2000HD's internal jumpers, that it wouldn't be putting out anything on the H&V (sync) jacks. But its standard YPrPb component output might work with many 'dual-purpose' 5-wire inputs; that is, ones that can be either RGBHV or YPrPb. One test to see if the 2000HD's H&V outputs are really functioning would be to lock in a stable 'supposed' RGBHV image, then pull the H&V cables to see if it makes any difference. (Shut things down if you lose all sync.) -- John

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
hey ericbee you see that response re: firmware # and scaler bypass?

TM

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Hi Ericbee,

It's just above, here in this thread...

"Richard, the firmware you have "Z902220" should accept 1280x720 (p) on the RGB input. I have a slightly older firmware that works with 1280x720 (p). I will also try John's note that 1080i signal senses it as a 1280 X 1024 computer format and see what happens." posted by ICvdo

Sounds like he may know the scoop on which firmware versions allow scaler bypass, on which inputs, etc.

TM

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i'm trolling for ericbee: what size hole in your plates: tomorrow is the day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John, Do you think that switching the jumper to enable h and v sync would allow Input 5 to see 1080i instead of 1280 x 1024? I'm assuming that 1080i is what the Sharp ought to be seeing from the cable box. Is that correct?

Richard

·
Registered
77 Posts
Richard, sorry for the late response. I feed my Sharp 9000 a 1080 signal into the RGB input #5 and when I resized it, I got a signal of 1280 x 1024 in dot-to-dot mode. Feeding the Sharp 720p gave me a signal of 1280 x 720 – pixel perfect.

If you can, input #2 works well with either 720p or 1080. I prefer to feed the Sharp a signal of 1080 through input #2 rather than 720p although the pictures are almost identical in quality.

My firmware is #1927.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.