AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my review of previous posts, be forewarned that the following is a minority opinion. I am amazed how little is written about the DPX1, mostly negative. If anyone has compared these two projectors I would be interested in hearing about your impressions.

I will start with my conclusions. The DPX1 kicks the Sharp's butt. Here is why.

The Equipment

1. Sharp 9000

- 86 inch wide 16:9 Stewart Greyhawk Screen

- 92 inch wide 16:9 1.3 Gain Screen

- Sony S9000ES DVD player - 480p through component

- Sony S7700 DVD Player - 480p through component

- NTSC Satellite through Svideo input

2. Yamaha DPX1

- 106 inch wide 16:9 Matte (0 gain) screen

- 82 inch 1.3 Gain 16:9 Screen

- Toshiba SD 9200 DVD player - 480p

- Pioneer Elite DV37 DVD player 480i and 480p through

component input

- Quadscan Pro - NTSC satellite - Svideo to Quadscan

RGB15 to projector

- Quadscan Pro with the DV37 - component into quadscan

RGB15 to projector

- NTSC satellite - directly Svideo input of projector

- HTPC - Radeon VE, Sony DVD and WinDVD 3.0 at 1024

3. Viewing material (same for both projectors)

- Avia, Video Essentials, Fifth Element, Gladiator,

Disney's Dinosaur and Shakespeare in Love.

Ergonomics

Both have manual zoom and focus. Both have decent remotes, although the Yamaha's remote was slightly better in layout and functionality.

The Yamaha has DVI, the Sharp does not. Unfortunately I did not have a DVI cable and was therefore unable to test this input. The Sharp had a shorter throw distance. The Sharp was considerably larger. They were both very quiet with a low audible, but not bothersome, hum. The Yamaha has a black level control which will not affect overall brightness, a feature I found useful and effective. The Sharp does not. The Yamaha is well encased and the build quality seemed to be better.

Color

Both were able to produce excellent color. I did not note a perceptable difference with the six segment wheel on the Sharp. I understand the Sharp has an RGBRGB wheel spinning 5x faster than previous generations while the Yamaha has an RGB (no white segment) color wheel spinning two times faster. After some basic calibrration both units produced satisfying and what appeared to be accurate colors. The best I have seen on a DLP to date. I found that the colours rivalled the Sanyo XP30 and PLV60.

Pixellation

Both units had no pixellation visible from 10 feet or more. The picture was smooth and film like.

Rainbow

Here is where many may disagree. I am not that susceptable to rainbow to begin with. I used to own a Davis DLP 450 and was never bothered by it. I didn't notice any on the Sharp. I did notice a very small amount on the Yamaha only when I cranked the contrast ratio. At proper levels I noticed none. I have watched several movies on the Yamaha and have not been bothered by it once. This may be as a result of my old and fading eyesight but it was not a factor for me.

Internal Processing

Although both units were watchable with 480p, I would definitely want a scaler or HBTPC. Not having seen the Sharp with a scaler or HTPC was unfortunate. The Yamaha image was stunning when either external device was introduced.

Contrast and Brightness

Both have excellent contrast for a digital projector. Black level was not CRT quality but is getting close. Close enough that I did not feel I was sacrificing image quality to warrant purchasing a cumbersome and unfriendly CRT.

Where the Yamaha left the Sharp in the dust was with respect to brightness. The Yamaha was considerably brighter, while maintaining equal black level. The result was a more three dimensional image. Both units are rated at 800 Ansi Lumens, although some have mistakingly stated the Yamaha is rated at 1000. I can understand the error when comparing the two. I have read that one limitation to the RGBRGB colour wheel is that you lose light oputput. Based on my observations I agree. As a result of the difference in light output I found that the my eyes had to strain somewhat when watching the Sharp. The image from the Yamaha on the other hand jumped off the screen. It was vivid, bright and three dimensional. As a result of the poor light output of the Sharp I could not justify the huge price differential between it and the NEC LT 150. With the Yamaha, however, I could.

Conclusion

If rainbow is an issue for you, you may want to stay away from the Yamaha. I suggest before you eliminate it, however, spend some time with it properly calibrated. Personally I would not buy the Sharp as its performance although better than the LT150, especially in color and ergonomics, does not justify the price.

If anyone has any questions about these impressions I would be happy to try and answer them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

thanks for the nice input. Just one little comment on the DPX-1: I have it running with an Radeon VE HTPC via DVI here in Berlin at a shop in the city and the picture is so sharp you almost cut yourself. The most amazing thing via DVI to me is that you don't have any problems with dot phase adjustments or frequency. The picture is just plain clean!

Cheers

Christoph

------------------
http://www.Kino-PC.de

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello and thank you for the review.

I was wondering how the first comparison would turn out between this two projectors.

What puzzles me a little is your comment about brightness:

The Yamaha is a 4:3 XGA projector, the Sharp is a DLP with 16:9 panel! Now if on both units the Ansi is the same (800) how can the Yamaha be brighter when displaying a format other than 4:3 ? The Yamaha will loose brightness on a 16:9 format because top and bottom line are lost to display the right format. The Sharp is a 16:9 display and won't loose any brightness! The only conclusions I can make at the moment are, that you where running the Sharp in "Theater Mode". In this mode the Sharp will only use 600 Ansi and might be to dimm on a Grayhawk. But that's just a guess.

Thanks again

Anthony

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Tony good point. Also another thing to conside is that the Yamaha's lamp life is a small 1000 hours compared to the Sharp's 2000 hours.

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
387 Posts
So you tested the Sharp with only internal processing and you tested the Yamaha with a nice external quadscan scaler and your conclusion is that the Yamaha kicks the Sharps butt.

Interesting conclusion, too bad about the flawed test. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

/Kimmo

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The Sony S7700 480P through component???? Should be 480i.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yamaha plus scaler is fairly pricey right? say 8K...

Sharp plus scaler equals roughly the same maybe 500-100K more right?

hmmm

GigEm

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've seen the Yamaha on the IFA Show in Berlin and I must say that for a brand new and so hyped Unit (by the press in DE) the Yamaha performed really bad! I've seen a lot of scaling artefacts and also a fair amount of Rainbow!

A Unit witch costs about 20000DM (round 10K$) and still looses on this BASIC functions is a clear LOOSER!

For 10000DM (5k$) it would be a fine PJ!

my 2c

------------------

- juras -

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Another point is that the DVI input on the Yamaha is NOT future proof. Having just a DVI port does nothing with regards to the MPAA copy protection fight. The DVI port must support the HDCP encryption which the Yamaha does not do. Just an FYI to those who would consider the Yamaha just for the DVI port.

·
Registered
250 Posts
David Boulet,

Absolutely, there are PC cards that allow you to accept outside sources. There is also dedicated software that allows you to scale that input to custom resolutions and refresh rates and display it. You should check out the HTPC forum.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've had the benefit of having both projectors in my home so that I could do an A/B comparison and I have to say that while the Yamaha is a very nice projector (except for the rainbow issues) , the Sharp smokes it in just about every category that is important to a Home Theater person. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Knuck under attack!! Any thoughts as to whether there would have been any improvement with the HTPC? As others have already posed, you could have sent 720P from the HTPC which theoretically should have yielded a sharper image. The brightness issue is just bewieldering. The Sharp should have been far brighter because of the use of the entire panel.

Dave, for DSS, cable and laserdisc, you would get a video capture card and use DScaler software. Do a search in the HTPC forum for DScaler, you'll have plenty to read.

--Les

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I warned everyone this would be a minority opinion.

Tony V.

Technically you're right. There are four possibilities.

1. The Sharp overstates its light output.

2. The 6 segment color wheel requires more light.

3. I saw a defective Sharp unit or

4. I was halucinating.

I spent quite a bit of time with the Sharp and definitely watched it in both modes.

Kimmo

I agree you can only compare apples to apples. Perhaps you didn't understand my comments. Obviously when I was comparing the two units I was only comparing the projectors through similar sources. My comments with respect to the Yamaha through the HTPC and quadscan have nothing to do with my comparison. In fact it wasn't until several days after my initial comparison that I saw the Yamaha with the external devices. The point I was making was that the image was spectacular when these were introduced.

Clehner

I agree with your impressions. Unfortunately I didn't have a DVI cable but would expect the HTPC image to be even cleaner if I did. The picture was so good through RGB 15, I don't know how it could be much better.

Spizz

According to Yamaha their lamps will also last 2000 hours but will maintain 100% efficiency over the first 1000 hours and then lose brightness thereafter. Whether one believes them or not is another question.

Adam

I suggest not moving your head. I find it really makes movie watching irritating. Just kidding. I am fortunate that I don't see rainbow. Several people have indicated the Yamaha has considerable rainbow, although I think some claims are sightly exagerated.

Tom

Thanks for the correction. That was a slip of the keyboard. In fact the reason I switched from the Sony 9000ES to the S7700 was I wanted to see the unit with a less expensive DVD player in 480i.

David

Unfortunately where I viewed the Sharp it was not possible to hook it up to an HTPC. That is why the comparitive part of my impressions only applies to DVD directly to projector. When I first auditioned the Yamaha I was also unable to hook up the quadscan or HBTPC. I assume like the Yamaha, the Sharp would improve withe external devices.

Texas

I wouldn't own either unit without a scaler or HTPC.

GScott

The future of DVI and encryption is unclear. DVI to an HTPC however, theoretically should have significant advantages for DVD playback now.

Mattman

Perhaps you could elaborate. I for one would certainly be intersted in your findings. I did think, however that the headings in my review would be factors important to a "home theatre person", whatever a home theatre person is.

Les

Good to hear from you. I enjoyed your Cedia review. My only regret was I couldn't be there. As I stated above, I expect the Sharp's image would be better with an HTPC. The Yamaha's image certainly was. With respect to the brightness issue, I agree on paper it doesn't make sense unless of course there is truth to the claim that the six segment wheel requires more light than does its three segment counterpart.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nothing fancy - I saw rainbows on the Yamaha whenever I moved my head whilst there was paning in a scene. I didnt see any on the sharp.

Conclusion - the yamaha is unwatchable for me.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Why didn't you hook up the HTPC to the Sharp? From what I understand it may not do a 1:1 pixel map but you could at least "fake" a 720P HDTV signal with the DVD source.

Also, all this talk about HTPC. What's one to do with non-DVD sources like DSS, cable, and laserdisc? Are there any PC video cards that accept an external analog video input?

-dave

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"The Yamaha will loose brightness on a 16:9 format because top and bottom line are lost to display the right format."

Brightness will stay the same for 16:9 images, but total lumen output will be less due to reduced image area.

Also, some account needs to be taken of the different screen sizes and gains.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
12 Posts
(My first post, BTW!) I'm very interested in these two projectors. I haven't seen the Sharp running yet. And I haven't seen rainbows on the Yamaha yet. It occurred to me as I've read these threads that the biggest rainbow objections were from users whose machines are running on 50Hz power rather than 60Hz. Is my impression correct?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just my 2 cents..

If you've ever seen the Sharp & then the Yamaha you'd think that the Yamaha is from a couple of years back. That is the difference between the 2 NIGHT & DAY.

Chris

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
To Gscott: You are wrong my friend. The DVI doesn.t need any copy protection because it a non-recordable signal. The firewire interface is indeed subject to copy protection control. The new Dishnetwork receiver will most likely have both interfaces and the DVI will work perfectly with the Yama. I've watched several hours of NTSC and HD programs on both projectors and decided for the Yamaha. Both are very good but in my opiniom the DVI is important. Rainbow? I don't know what it is and don't wanna know. The HD in a native 4X3 (Yamaha) projector can became an issue due to the potential lower resolution. The HD material I've seen so far are somehow compressed and look about the same on both projectors.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
the only good thing about the Yam is the DVI and the BNCs :D

the rainbows of its RGB wheel were horrible.

a sharp has an excellent onboard deinterlacer-scaler and you can zoom an anamorphic 2.35 dvd inside the chip, use a prismasonic 16/9 lens ($400) and out put PURE 2.35 without black backs :D

there's still the issue of the lip sync on some models though.

how about contrast ratio ? :D

I wish Sharp on its 9000 II adds more inputs (BNCs, DVI-I future proof ) and maybe raise the ANSI to 1200.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.