Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks for looking.

Decision has come down to these two units. Classic Plasma vs. LCD debate, eh?

Really only want a 37" screen for new basement with low ceilings. 42" is just too much screen. HDCD a must. Built-in speakers also crucial. (8 and 11 y.o. choldren need simplicity.)

If price is more or less equal (yes, I have seen the Sharp thread at OneCall), which one would you recommend?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kids? Are they the primary users? If so, perhaps the LCD. The plasma has a much nicer picture, IMHO, on many dimension (yes, I've seen it), but with kids, maybe you want to sleep easier knowing they can't screw it up....

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is zero burn-in risk with LCD (or essentially zero). Kids can sometimes do irresponsible stuff that could do some plasma damage if they leave the same image on the screen or something like it.

Responsible kids in their teens would be able to understand the rules very easily, but younger kids, perhaps not. So if they kids are the primary users -- and they won't really care about picture quality -- it's perhaps sensible to go LCD.

[Note: Many around here -- inaccurately -- consider me biased in favor of plasma. I just bought the Sharp even though I prefer the PQ of plasma. So, perhaps, I can take into account the circumstances of what I'm saying....]

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Panny does make a 37" plasma, if size is the only consideration... It'd be cheaper than the LCD as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

[Note: Many around here -- inaccurately -- consider me biased in favor of plasma. I just bought the Sharp even though I prefer the PQ of plasma. So, perhaps, I can take into account the circumstances of what I'm saying....]
You what? I can't belive this. Rogo bought a LCD display :eek: :rolleyes:?

Any doubt's that he is insane :D

Now, for the serious thing: He is right! If there are any kids, LCD could be better option!

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clepto-

sure, panny makes a 37" ED display that is on back order.

any 37" HD model is not on their web site.

yeah, i know that the 37" HD Viera is coming in June.......maybe.

today panny has squat.

thanks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"The TV will last 3 times longer...."

Really? Than a 60,000-hour plasma? I'd say, "as long"...

"... and the brightness remains the same during the duration. "

That's a myth. The fluorescents don't maintain 100% brightness until failure. It'd be nice if they did.

Still, I back the "kids as prime users, get LCD" theory. Picture quality takes a back seat to need for persnicketyness.

Mark

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianrmack
rogo-

interesting response......how is LCD more child friendly than Plasma?

thanks,

ian

When Kids touch the screen of the Sharp lcd they will see the image bending in. They may surmise they are about to experience an Alice in Wonderland reality meltdown experience and back off.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"LCD picture quality is better than plasma."

Yeah, on what metric?

Not contrast ratio.

Not motion processing.

Not black level.

Not color reproduction.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought the new Aquos for our master bath. Picked it over a Panny plasma for one reason only--lots of ambient light in the room.

IMHO, colors will be much more accurate with a Panny plasma. The Sharp, even manipulating the controls you are given, does not result in a particularly accurate picture. But it is very bright.

Biggest failing of the Aquos: the viewing cone is TINY. Move off direct center and the picture falls off immediately.

Lack of phosphor burn, brightness and light weight are the Aquos' only real advantages over the plasma.

(None of us are going to live long enough to worry about which will last the longest--the plasma or LCD)

Yp,

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
"LCD picture quality is better than plasma."

Yeah, on what metric?

Not contrast ratio.

Not motion processing.

Not black level.

Not color reproduction.
Rogo:

Maybe he is from another universe (a paralel universe) and in his universe LCD are better than plasma. In that case, i've a request to him: when you go to your universe and come back to our, please bring me a LCD that's better than plasma :D

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Lack of phosphor burn, brightness and light weight are the Aquos' only real advantages over the plasma.

(None of us are going to live long enough to worry about which will last the longest--the plasma or LCD)"

Good stuff.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sure, if you are really close, foundation. What are you using it for. I am hooking up all the video sources and a PC soon.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have taken a look. I've never seen it. Never.

Name me any one metric on which it looks better. Pixel count and screendoor are not even arguable, so you've got those.

LCDs have inferior contrast ratio, inferior black level, inferior motion processing, and inferior color reproduction. I am sitting here watching one. It's not bad, by any means, but the picture quality on those metrics would not match Sony's 37" plasma at all.

And, Fixed Pixel Guy, it's typical of someone with no argument to insult the other party. I'd guess that's why you insulted me.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nowhere did I cite a number. Nowhere.

CRT sets have 10,000:1 contrast, when measured using the infinitely more important on-off metric, not the ANSI metric, where CRTs are relatively weak, although not 50:1 weak.

I used the word "metric" to describe the thing being described as superior. Not once did I cite a number.

Your post proves nothing, you are the spin-meister.

I'm asking, "How is the picture better?" and you have no answer.

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.