AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been closely watching the news coming out of CES for any info on 60"+ models (LCD & Plasma) because I'll be upgrading from my old HLN617W Samsung DLP this year. There seem to be very few...I suppose because large LCDs are difficult and costly to manufacture.

Anyway, I just came across a new Sharp Aquos 65" LCD that they're showing at CES: http://www.displayblog.com/2009/01/0...-1080p-lcd-tv/

The specs show it having an ASV (Advanced Super View) panel. I'm not very familiar with this tech. Are there any experts out there that know much about it? pros cons vs other flat panel tech (ips,mva, etc) ? I did find a Sharp document about it, but most of it is over my head: http://sharp-world.com/corporate/info/rd/tj3/pdf/3.pdf . Does anyone know what kind of backlight it uses (hoping for LED)?

Also as a side note...is the PQ on large LCDs not as good as the smaller ones? Should I shy away from LCD if I'm looking for something 60"+ for some reason or no?

Thanks,

-Obsidian

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was hoping that someone out there was at CES and had a look at these sets, assuming they had them on display.

What I'm concerned about is that ASV means "reflective" like the latest Samsung LCDs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
ASV is Sharp's proprietary technology on how it makes its LCD panels, its generally a pin wheel alignment of crystals. Sharp panels have always been less reflective than Samsungs, and in the SE94U they are a flat matte. Just how they compare against the E, I know not.

Most makers are vertical aligned, like Samsungs.

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~mgu/LCD/asv.htm

Frankly, I can't see a big difference but I think Sharp's images have more natural transitions, particularly when you compare them side by side, properly adjusted already. Samsungs blacks are blacker, but the contrast is too harsh that I can't see the greys between it. These are just my opinions on it when I was shopping for a TV, and I did settle on a Sharp LCD rather than a plasma or a Samsung LCD.

Total pixels on TVs for HDTV are the same, they are just bigger on bigger TVs, so big TVs aren't necessarily sharper, just bigger. The res is limited by the res of the HDTV definition.

There is not enough data on the E series right now to say much more.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just to add, Samsung also makes matte screens now, I think that's in their 750 series and up.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well, here's a poor schematic tidbit of info on "ASV" directly from Sharp : http://sharp-world.com/contents/aquos/products/c.html

Like you, i am anxiously waiting for this upcoming 65" LCD panel due to its specs and street pricing; After all the 52" set that was just released for a m.s.r.p. of $2.400 is being currently sold for about $1.500, so how much will the 65" unit sell for "streetwise" ?

I have also decided not to purchase a Sharp LCD until the "banding issue" has been fully remedied, and considering the fact that this is apparently a brand new panel coming out of Sharp's new plant (Kameyama 2 ?) plus the fact that Sharp's reputation really took a beating for the past two years or so, i would expect the company to do a much better job with quality control, testing and inspection BEFORE releasing another panel coming out of these much maligned Kameyama facilities...

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's great intel MCaugusto! My budget is 5k for the 65" and hopefully it will be close to that, not knowing if this new series has a supplied table top stand has me curious plus if it does the wife gets on board with a new table for it. I've been reading about those banding issues and would not be happy if the same problem carried over to this series. I'm hoping our friends across the pond have got it figured out. That was interesting reading about Advanced Super View I wonder what the power usage would be? Any other news or articles would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can tell you that the E77 Series come with a table top stand so you can start picking out living room tv stand furniture =P

I think that the MSRP seems to more reflect Canadian pricing since they sell it at around $2400 CDN.

And as for banding, seems that many E77U owners are happy that there is no banding on their sets, so i could say that Sharp has finally addressed the problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Many called Sharp Representatives and numbers were either 10,000:1 or 50,000:1

Probably 10,000:1 is static and 50,000:1 is Dynamic.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda /forum/post/16520915

Sharp - AQUOS / 65" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV is $2999 @ BB save $1000 not sure about the 67" ^
http://***************/9/F/i.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]
[/QUOTE]

Sorry Juda I meant 65"...and I just got through looking at nexttag and there is a bunch tto consider. I wonder if this 65" is heavy enough to be a stand alone. I have no small children and no earthquakes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
key word here is SUPERLUCENT. this is a coating applied to the sharp ASV panel. all i can say from my visual test its phenomenal and looked like it had deeper blacks than the samsung b750 and sony xbr9 next to it. color and pop was equal to samsung if not a tad better and i'm a sony/samsung fan. good job sharp.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF /forum/post/16527289

key word here is SUPERLUCENT. this is a coating applied to the sharp ASV panel. all i can say from my visual test its phenomenal and looked like it had deeper blacks than the samsung b750 and sony xbr9 next to it. color and pop was equal to samsung if not a tad better and i'm a sony/samsung fan. good job sharp.

Was that the LC-65E77U you saw?....what store has them?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 62 series is the 2006 model, the 64 series is the 2007 model, the 65 series is the 2008 model, and the new 67 series seems to be the 2009 model.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts