AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharp Aquos D62 D92 Banding Fix. Instead of asking for a replacement set for my LC-52D62U from Best Buy I asked if a local Sharp Authorized Service Provider come by to see if the banding can be repaired.

The Sharp Authorized Service Provider came by and inspected and verified the banding issue. I was told they said they have fixed several sets by replacing the mainboard which has the onboard HDMI Ports. 9 at of 10 times the mainboard fixes the banding issue.

5 business days later the mainboard part has arrived and installed. Immediately I did not notice the banding issue.

If you have a Sharp D62 and D92 series and experiencing banding I highly recommend getting it repaired by replacing the Mainboard. Or you can ask for a replacement and cross your fingers you do not get the same banding issues with the new one.

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is very encouraging news. I've been watching this forum since last fall when I decided the Sharp Aquos offered the best PQ to my eyes. I can't imagine why this option has not came up before with all the folks posting about exchanging three or more sets for replacements. I'd think Sharp Service Reps. would opt for this solution since it would avoid all the cost associated with shipping sets back and forth and the pile of returned sets.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet even though I have never observed banding on any of the dozens of Sharp sets I have checked out at the B&M stores. For my own curiosity, which model do you own and were the banding effects noticeable to your eyes during normal programing or DVD viewing?

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_eyed_pete /forum/post/0

Thanks for the info. This is very encouraging news. I've been watching this forum since last fall when I decided the Sharp Aquos offered the best PQ to my eyes. I can't imagine why this option has not came up before with all the folks posting about exchanging three or more sets for replacements. I'd think Sharp Service Reps. would opt for this solution since it would avoid all the cost associated with shipping sets back and forth and the pile of returned sets.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet even though I have never observed banding on any of the dozens of Sharp sets I have checked out at the B&M stores. For my own curiosity, which model do you own and were the banding effects noticeable to your eyes during normal programing or DVD viewing?

I own the LC-52D62U. The banding is very minimal. I can only see it when the background colors are solid just like this forum when using this TV as my computer monitor via DVI to HDMI. The other instance is when playing Gran Turismo on the PS3 as the street is a solid grey color. Any average person would not see this issue unless it is pointed out.

The banding I was experiencing is two large vertical bands about 5" wide on the 52" screen on the left center and right center. Then several thin horizontal bands about half an inch wide. On a dark blue background, the banding is just slightly darker than the background.

The new Mainboard fixed all of these issues. I hope this helps. Good luck on finding the perfect HDTV.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Wow. If this case is not unique, it could be the biggest news ever for Sharp owners. If banding could be fixed this easy on these models I think heads would explode. Can anyone else add to this development?

Can you take a picture of your now "perfect" screen?

· Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn /forum/post/0

Wow. If this case is not unique, it could be the biggest news ever for Sharp owners. If banding could be fixed this easy on these models I think heads would explode. Can anyone else add to this development?

Can you take a picture of your now "perfect" screen?

Yeah, post a picture or 2 (or more if you can). I really want to believe you but seeing is believing and we've been here before. There was a posting way back in November 2006 in the 62U forum explaining nearly the same thing (ie, some magical part swap-out/fix). See that posting here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...87#post8929887

As we all know banding continued and continues to this day.

If banding could be fixed with a part swap-out I doubt Sharp would be routinely replacing $3k - $4k sets with new ones so easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.