AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Sharp Aquos 32" LC-32GD4U LCD. I like the picture, but man is the software design and funtionality buggy! It looses it's TV channel settings, cable card doesn't always work, many other things too, etc...

I've searched the forums and could not find an aswer. Is it possible to flash this TV with the latest firmware? This model does have a cable card and PC Card reader if that helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Your description isn't so detailed, but I believe there are 2 standby settings for the Sharp. One loses TV settings, the other does not.

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5863277

I am having updated firmware installed next week on an LC45GX6U that is supposed to address Cablecards losing channels

I have two LC32GD4U's that are also losing CC channels : will report if the new firmware helps and if it applies to the LC-32's

Other than Cablecard issues, I am not having any other issues with the Sharp LCD's

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 32 inch HD LCD 32GD4U with a Comcast CableCARD. I noticed that as Comcast moves analog stations to digital they disappear from the analog tuner but they appear on the digital tuner. This applies to normal analog channels below 100. So, about a third of my analog channels below 100 now have to be tuned on the digital tuner. The only way to know this is trial and error. They appear on the digital tuner with the same station numbers they had on the analog tuner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the other post, but I'm still confused on how to get the firmware upgrade. Do I call Time Warner for a new CableCard. Does this have the firmware on the CableCard? Do I call Sharp?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana Man
I read the other post, but I'm still confused on how to get the firmware upgrade. Do I call Time Warner for a new CableCard. Does this have the firmware on the CableCard? Do I call Sharp?
You call Sharp. (The CableCard has zippo to do with the TV's firmware.)

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Sharp (authorized service) came yesterday and updated the firmware to v1.31 in my LC-45GX6U: took 10 minutes total: the update is done via an SD card inserted in the rear of the AVC box

So far I have not seen any differences in PQ or operation of the Cablecard

btw: Cablecards also get firmware updates but these are done automatically over the cable: it usually occurs shortly after a new card is installed since new cards rarely have the latest cableco firmware. On a Sharp, you will notice the card acting up: shut the TV off (by the remote) for about 10 seconds then back on and if a firmware update is available, you will see a box come up on the screen saying an update is in process and not to turn off the TV or remove the card or cable feed. The update can take over an hour

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.