AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site. Did a search and couldn't find this happening to anyone else. My story:

Bought a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD 2 days ago from Best Buy. Brought it home and plugged it in - the first thing I notice are 6 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen. Most stuck on magenta, a couple cyan. After paying almost $3k for a TV, I was a little disappointed to say the least. Packed everything up and drove up to Best Buy to exchange with the last one they had in stock (and the last one in the entire Bay Area, apparently).

Thinking it was a fluke that I got a bad one (according to the BB people) I don't open it up there to test it before driving back home. Well, when I get back and set up Aquos #2, I'm horrified to see 4 bad pixels on this one. 2 magenta, 2 cyan, all within the 4:3 picture area. ARGH!!!

So, I returned the second set the same night and had to order another one, which will arrive on Saturday. I called SharpUSA and told them my story. They said it was "very unusual" that I got a bad set, let alone two. The same story from BB - the manager (whom I'm now on a first-name basis with) said that in the last 2 months, they've sold about 20 of the 32" Sharps and hadn't received a single one back until I came along. So what's the deal? Am I being picky to expect a $3k TV without a single bad pixel? At this point, I'm 80% sure that my 3rd try will also result in failure. Of the two display sets I've seen (both LC32G4U) one had a single bad pixel, and the other was perfect.

Do I need to adjust me expectations, or keep on trying until I get one that doesn't have dead pixels? (glad I didn't buy online for this very reason)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be picking up my 3rd set tomorrow. Anyone have a similar experience with bad pixels on the LC32G4U? Or recommend another 32" LCD model entirely if I get a third lemon?

thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bad pixels are one of the caveats of LCD technology. Generally screens get sorted out in the QA process, but occasionally some slip through. Although it's rare that you see this on high-dollar TVs, it's actually quite common for computer monitors. I think Dell's return policy is 8 dead pixels before they will accept an RMA. :eek:

Anyways, I've had my LC-37G4U for about five months now and I never had any bad pixels. I've seen a few people post that they might have had one but all the Sharp's that I've seen don't have any dead pixels. I have however seen the green/red "dots" problem in more than a few TVs at various reseller stores...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I picked up my 3rd LC32G4U on Saturday. Brought it home, plugged her in, and not a single bad pixel. Finally! I'm very much enjoying my new LCD screen now. HD Cable goes in on Wednesday.

I haven't heard of the "green/red dots" problem, but I've just started searching through these forums, so I'll find out soon enough. I also need to learn a bit more about using AVIA on my new TV. Green seems to be the most off - it's at the very bottom (25%?) spot, while red & blue are within 5% of the middle. Moved some of the advanced sliders, but haven't been able to correct it yet. More research is required.

Also, I'm finding that I get some of the top & bottom of the screen cut off when I'm running Xbox in HD (480p). Most noticeable in ESPN football. But this is a minor annoyance for the moment. There must be some way to shrink the picture or change a setting so things aren't getting cut off.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Glad you are finally satisfied. Not many get out in the field with bad pixels. Can't explain what happened but I can tell you that the complaints for bad pixels are less than 0.5%.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ref: Anyways, I've had my LC-37G4U for about five months now and I never had any bad pixels. I've seen a few people post that they might have had one but all the Sharp's that I've seen don't have any dead pixels. I have however seen the green/red "dots" problem in more than a few TVs at various reseller stores...

I had the problem, it was fixed by a Sharp firmware upgrade. It's supposed to be able to be done in your home by using the PC card slot, but the idiots in my area took the set. Sharp yelled at them and they brought it back the next day.

My guess is that the local service guys don't have tech people making house calls, just truck drivers.

The firmware upgrade does fix the green/red dots problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lanny3
Ref: Anyways, I've had my LC-37G4U for about five months now and I never had any bad pixels. I've seen a few people post that they might have had one but all the Sharp's that I've seen don't have any dead pixels. I have however seen the green/red "dots" problem in more than a few TVs at various reseller stores...

I had the problem, it was fixed by a Sharp firmware upgrade. It's supposed to be able to be done in your home by using the PC card slot, but the idiots in my area took the set. Sharp yelled at them and they brought it back the next day.

My guess is that the local service guys don't have tech people making house calls, just truck drivers.

The firmware upgrade does fix the green/red dots problem.
So how was that done? Did they send you a file that you copied to a PC card/memory card and then put in to the AVC unit? Curious to know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mike53:

I'm thinking of purchasing one of the new 45 inch Sharp displays - what is Sharp's policy on trading out units for bad pixels? After reading this thread, I checked the Sharp USA site and could not find anything.

Thanks,

Marcel J. Dumeny

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcel J. Dumeny
Mike53:

I'm thinking of purchasing one of the new 45 inch Sharp displays - what is Sharp's policy on trading out units for bad pixels? After reading this thread, I checked the Sharp USA site and could not find anything.

Thanks,

Marcel J. Dumeny
There is no printed policy but the accepted practice is if you are not happy then neither is Sharp.

Let me edit this a bit....this is not Sharp's policy but mine. If I have an account who has a customer who is not happy then we replace it. However, if someone is unreasonable and it is outside industry practice then Sharp may not be so generous. This is an outstanding product and Sharp is by far and away the leader. We are very proud of the product and want people to speak well of it. Therefore, we aim to please.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JGene
...Anyways, I've had my LC-37G4U for about five months now and I never had any bad pixels. I've seen a few people post that they might have had one but all the Sharp's that I've seen don't have any dead pixels....
Same here. My Aquos LC30HV2U has been perfect for 20 mos. now. Plus, I lurk weekly at BB, CC, Fry's, Ultimate, and my high-end guy. I have never, ever seen, or heard a report of, a "dead-pixel".

AMc

PS: Beginning to think the dead-pixel guy's a PDP mole? Me too! :D

A.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dead pixels on Sharp do exist. My LC45 has one stuck green pixel far right. I am not bothered by it and I can only see it if I am within one or two feet, looking for it. I think it is acceptable to have one abnormal pixel out of six million. Others with the LC45 have reported pixel outage.

When pixels get really small like it can on lc37 and 45 models, it is easy to mistaken a dust particle as dead pixel on cursory look. Presbyopes may want to take out a magnifier it they want to be sure.....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by a. macree
PS: Beginning to think the dead-pixel guy's a PDP mole? Me too! :D

A.
not even "beginning" and not even the first time. i don't know if hacks with a commercial interest in LCD do the same, but the PDP hacks are so common ini here it makes me begin to lose interest in the board.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cjv123
not even "beginning" and not even the first time. i don't know if hacks with a commercial interest in LCD do the same, but the PDP hacks are so common ini here it makes me begin to lose interest in the board.
Just curious... what's a PDP mole/hack? Maybe I don't want to know. Hopefully I'm not getting trashed for posting a legitimate question here.

I agree it can be hard to see dead pixels on a smaller (32") screen in regular viewing, but the first setup screen on the Sharp after you plug it in is this off-white color and they show up REALLY well if they're there. I've seen a total of 5 LC32G4U displays - 3 in my home, and 2 in the store. I'm not saying my experience is typical for these sets, but 3 of 5 have had dead pixels (one with 6, one with 4, and a display model with 1). Maybe my experience is out of the ordinary, but it happened and I think it's worth putting out there. I would have given up after exchange #1 if I thought there was a better 32" LCD TV on the market.

·
Registered
106 Posts
According to Sharp, a service technician was supposed to come out with the firmware upgrade on a memory card and he would upgrade the set in your home.

But in my case, the service guy came with another AVC under his arm. We hooked to my panel, then after getting the same red/green dot routine with the 2nd AVC, he said the problem was in my panel and that he had to take it back to the shop. He also said that they were having problems with the firmware upgrade. One time he said it wasn't working and another time he said it wasn't taking. After he left with my panel, I read Sharp the riot act. They said that the service guy shouldn't have taken the panel and that they were going to escalate the isuue up their chain. Sharp says that the firmware in the panel and the AVC is upgraded through use of the PC card slot in the AVC unit.

My guess is that the local service people were not familiar with the procedure to do the upgrade, and that the person they sent to my home was nothing more than a delivery guy with no technical training. And, Sharp seemed to think that a service technician was going to be making a housecall.

Sharp screamed at the service vendor and they called me the next day to arrange for the return of my panel. They claimed that they had upgraded the firmware and made some changes in the service menu under telephone guidance from Sharp. Sharp still insists that it should have been done in my home.

I picked up a few small cosmetic scuffs to the upper edge of the panel, poor handling, but the red/green dot problem is gone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The odd thing was that when I first got the Sharp, I only got red dots if I used a color temperature setting other than the middle one. This was the norm for about 2 weeks. Then one day I had green dots on the middle color temperature, the one I preferred. I would go away on the warmest color temperature setting. I found a reference to the problem in another forum and contacted OneCall. They called Sharp and they (Sharp) verified that it was a known problem with the initial batch of LC-37G4Us. I had one of the first ones sold. Sharp confirmed that there was a firmware upgrade that corrected the problem. They also said that a service technician could do it at my house. You know the rest of that story from above.

I might add that I was having other random problems before the firmware upgrade, they didn't happen on a consistent basis, but they did repeat. They were:

1. Red dots at first turn on, going away after powering down the display powere switch.

2. On some power ups, I would get a one inch wide green vertical stripe down the middle of the screen. Cycling the display power switch would cure it.

3. On some power ups, the picture would be off center. Once again, cycling the display power would fix it.

4. On some powers ups, it would power back down before the screen would come on.

5. Initially, on power ups, the screen would quickly light after a short delay. Several weeks later, the screen would slowly light, first fuzzy, then clear, after a short delay.

All of the above issues disappeared after the firmware update. I asked Sharp for documentation on the firmware, but they said that they couldn't provide it. I also asked them for a copy of the firmware and the service mode codes; they said they couldn't provide those either.

Now, I can see why they'd want to hold this stuff close, but at a minimum, the existence of a firmware upgrade should have been posted in the support section of their web site.

Reference: See 2nd users comments about rain & artifacts

Quote:
According to the customer support guy I spoke with at Sharp, there is a firmware upgrade for the TV that "fixes some rain and artifact problems" They have to send out a tech to install the firmware upgrade, but it might be worth it. I haven't had it done yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.