1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
This has already been posted here about a half dozen times in the last year, where have ya been?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Glad you guys have something useful to add. Most people know about this but it is at least a new article and photos/video of the TV...

I would think some people might want to take a look at it even though we all know it isn't really "Pioneer Elite".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover
This is like the 5th repost of this junk. Pioneer has no connection with this. Sharp bought the rights to the branding, nothing more. It bears absolutely no relation to Kuros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
This has already been posted here about a half dozen times in the last year, where have ya been?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/20778842

This is like the 5th repost of this junk. Pioneer has no connection with this. Sharp bought the rights to the branding, nothing more. It bears absolutely no relation to Kuros.

This is completely false information.

Here is a NEW link that displays the finished product in action:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/s...ands-on-video/

It is in fact a joint venture by Sharp and Pioneer, and the set will be in stores in September. There is an official website for the set as well, google it.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/20804267

This is completely false information.

Here is a NEW link that displays the finished product in action:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/s...ands-on-video/

It is in fact a joint venture by Sharp and Pioneer, and the set will be in stores in September. There is an official website for the set as well, google it.

Maybe he dreamed that he had a relationship with Pioneer!

Ian

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20805395

ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

I knew I forgot something!

Ian

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just got to see this tv in action today. Both in complete darkness and with lights on and even dim. It was fantastic And has to be the best tv currently available right now. It does still have some of the same issues all backlit led tvs have but it does try to hide them as best it can.

We watched a lot of the Dark Knight stoping on some scenes that are very difficult for any LCD to pull off. It was able to really pull these scenes off really well. We learned that although there can be some blooming or flash lighting or whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. It tries to focus its lights away from the image. We saw samples of this with both movies and more to the point text. There is a setting that you can turn this feature off. Once off it looks more like all the other locally dimming tvs. This really sells this feature as it really does enhance the image. Also they have a lot of other settings to enhance or strip down the features of this TV.

It is THX certified. I believe this is the only backlit LED tv to have this. It allows for ISF calibration.

3D on it is great for LCD and has to be the best LCD I have seen in 3D thus far. It does a great job of taking 2D movies and upping them to 3D. It also had settings to up the brightness as needed for 3D. Because they used the the extra yellow pixel it can (and does) get very VERY bright if needed. Easily the brightest tv I have ever seen.

With brightness come darkness and this set gets dark... Really dark, inky dark. This tv will hold its own very well and I am excited to see what the calibrators numbers will end up on this set as it looked pretty dang good to me. Say you have a fully black image on the screen with say a pause icon in the corner. You might see the slitest hint of blooming around that image but the rest of the set is black.

One thing I found really interesting was how they add the yellow pixel. If you look at the pixel structure you'll see that the red and blue are normal sized but the green and yellow are half sized. In theory they could do this again with cyan and magenta by doing the same with them and the red and blue. That would be pretty cool if they do add this to their future sets.

Ok now on to what everyone seems to have an onion about. The engineers involved. Everyone keeps talking about how the Kuro engineers have left or know nothing about LEDLCDs but I think people are thinking about this all wrong. Now I can't say who worked on what but there were some dots that were pretty easy to connect. Sharp has been a leader in LCDs and know what they are doing in the 60+ sizes. They for sure were the ones working on the hardware. This is new tech from them and they are only going to get better over time. But one of the things the Kuros had in spades was the software running the tvs. Fantastic presets like Pure, all the menus, all the backend that runs a tv that most of us take for granted. This is where I believe Pioneer helped out. They didn't say who did what but they did say this was very much a joint venture. Also if you look at the new software Pioneer is using on their new Elite receivers its pretty clear they were created by the same team.

To sum this experience up and get this overly long post done. I will say this is one of if not the best tvs I have ever seen. It does suffer from a bit of blooming and off angle performance will never be as good as plasma. But for image quality I do believe it will hold its own quite nicely. I have to say the pros defiantly out weigh its cons. Its bright, its inky dark, its slim, it doesn't get hot, and uses way less energy. Cons to me are the hint of blooming, off angle performance, and price. It's not cheap by any means but if you compare it's price to what a 50" Kuro started at onc could call it a budget set.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Nice insight from someone who's seen one, I will say the extra yellow pixel has nothing to do with how bright the TV gets. LCD doesn't produce its own light so the led lights are the factor of how bright the TV will get.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 /forum/post/20864284

Although what you say is somewhat true. The yellow blocks less light from said LEDs therefore they can use them to pass more light through the pixels creating a brighter effect.

you have a point, not sure how much more light the yellow pixel lets through vs red green and blue. That almost seems it would create a uneven picture with the color being off, but just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks for the update. I gave up on the Sharp LCD-70X5 thread on the LCD forum

I think the yellow pixel is controversial but I am rather neutral on it. For one the spectrum of visible light defined by CIE 1931 is not restricted by REC 709 nor REC 601. It is all defined by standards.

Purists will say we have to stick to these standards as it is what the directors' intent would be but having higher gamut CAPABILITY does not necessarily harm. It's like driving on a 100mph highway but having a 120mph car does not hurt
It is similar to the arguments with Deep Color.

I am all for calibrated colors and I am not talking about oversaturation of colors like "dynamic mode". I am saying standards are defined by people
Key is how the VP controls the pixels to conform to REC 709 so people can be happy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As long as the "Pure" mode, or whatever mode out of the box is accurate to the standards, then it really doesn't matter if a yellow pixel is present.

If it's accurate out of the box, and a calibrator can improve it without issue, the yellow pixel isn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I’m not going to argue if adding yellow is good or bad for the color quality. I really don't know and other then marketing I don’t think the color was the main focus of adding yellow.. But I do think it lets them try new ideas on how to add contrast and brightness while keeping their sets energy efficient. Think out side the box. If you are an engineer and you are asked to create a picture and you have the choice of 3 colors or 4 what would you rather have? Can RGB create every color?? Yes, yes it can. But when you start adding more colors you can use them to trick the tech into doing new things with contrast. Also think about printers. Yes completely different tech but think of how good a printer is with 3 colors vs the ones with 8.... Just think about it for a while.

Back to the other features of this tv. I really feel the software running this set is leaps ahead of the current Sharp TVs. And I believe this what really makes this tv an Elite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.